Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 17, 2011, 7:39 PM   #1

Default The Irish coast ...

Spent most of this week in Ireland for work and stayed just north of Dublin over looking the Irish Sea. Not much time to shoot, as I wasn't getting back to the hotel till after sunset, so these were all taken first thing in the morning and then a mad 15-20 mins rush before having to head to the office. We landed in Dublin just before the remnants of a hurricane was about to hit Ireland and the UK.

E3+ 14-54Mk1 - I left the beastie at home esp as I was having to fly via Ryan Air so no way was I going to risk that lens getting damaged! The first time I've ever noticed flare in some of the pics as well.. and I messed up by shooting med res jpegs instead of RAW, luckily I'd changed the setting to be one step below SFJpegs !! I'm still pretty pissed with myself for not checking. Some mild PP in LR to recover some blown highlights.

1. Monday morning .. 5 mins to shoot ...

2. Tuesday morning.. a bit more time 15-20mins before having to head off

4. Tide out ..

5. reflections

7. Wednesday

9. Waves... on a good day we should have been able to see the Welsh coast ...

10. The storms seemed to pass Ireland over by Tuesday afternoon .. a little disappointing as I was hoping to see some biggish waves ..

Thursday onwards, I was in a different hotel closer to the airport so no chance of getting to the coast and take some further pics.

I did get to play with a D700 + 24-70 f2.8 at the airport and my thats a pretty hefty combo.. in fact I'd say it left nearly as heavy as the E-3 + 35-100f2. Made me think how heavy a D700 + 70-200F2.8 combo would be .. a bit too much for my own personal taste!

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 17, 2011 at 8:16 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:35 PM   #2

Default Ireland

Those a nice shots ... Especially with the fact that you didn't have much time!

Gilles

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:46 PM   #3

Nice captures Harj, especially under rush conditions. You probably are wishing for a little phto vacation back there when you have more time to enjoy the area.

P.S. to Folob: welcome back. You must be out of the hospital. Hope everything is okay.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:49 PM   #4

12 days at the hospital wasn't fun and thanks God for universal health care .... however, I will go under surgery in a couple of weeks. For the time being, I am resting at home .... even if it is way too easy to work from home.

I will slowly try to go back shooting things as soon as I am able to go out for more than a couple of hours.

For now, I enjoy the posts and shots in this forum!

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 7:58 AM   #5

1,3 and the last one are great IMO...
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:23 PM   #6

Nicely done Harj. So easy to blow out the highlights but you recovered well.

Maybe we should collaborate on a travel fashion shoot...
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Nicely done Harj. So easy to blow out the highlights but you recovered well.
+1 from me - well done, Harj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Maybe we should collaborate on a travel fashion shoot...
So you're getting away with that suggestion because Sharon doesn't read the posts in this forum, eh?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:16 PM   #8

Hey Guys

Ken.. I think thats a fab idea.. I was thinking about doing a fashion shoot but realistically there was no chance even though I was there for most of the week. Ted, I;d like to go back and not have to rush .. 5-20 mins rushing around like a loon isnt fun esp at that time in the morning!

I was really annoyed about not having the RAW files as I was shooting with that in mind but I've been pleasantly surprised by the jpegs. Still I'd much rather have the RAW's. Now I need to get my hands on a ND/Circular polariser filters for the 14-54.

Folob .. .. good to see that your back from hospital... Universal healthcare simply can;t be beat. How you guys in the US are doing without defies belief ????

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:18 PM   #9

[quote=tkurkowski;1255221.......
So you're getting away with that suggestion because sharon doesn't read the posts in this forum, eh? :d

ted[/quote]

rotfl !!!!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:31 PM   #10

Hey Harj,

As has been mentioned, these images are delightful, given the little time set up, think about what it is that end result should look like, and then compose, check settings, and finally, take the shot.

Well done under less than ideal conditions.

Thanks for sharing. As for the 70-200mm f2.8 lens + D700 FF body. Even with the lens mounted to my D90, which by all accounts feels like a toy compared to my E30 - it is a heavy beast. I can say that if I do switch to FF, it won't be because I want to reduce weight.

But you get the right tool for the application.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote