Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:50 AM   #1

Default I love this season

Fall tends to be my favorite time of the year as the saltmarshes are flush with color and the cooling temperatures make for a much more pleasant outdoor experience when hiking through the fields.

A couple taken yesterday. Again, the camera used E-30 with the 12-60mm SWD. I've been in the habit of shooting 5frames bracketed @ .30exp comp.
These two were also done in this fashion.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:03 AM   #2

....oh what beautiful scenery!

I would greatly enjoy spending mornings wondering that and for these, the bridge is terrific composition of a mystery. It surely causes me to want to open the door at the end.

The PP is just right again Zig, thanks for these, made my morning coffee better.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....oh what beautiful scenery!

I would greatly enjoy spending mornings wondering that and for these, the bridge is terrific composition of a mystery. It surely causes me to want to open the door at the end.

The PP is just right again Zig, thanks for these, made my morning coffee better.

Well said BoBB.

Okay Zig, you have to explain the suspension bridge shot and what is beyond the door. And post some more shots.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:05 AM   #4

Hi Bob, Hi Steven,

Thanks. I always appreciate your comments.

As for the story about the bridges.

Well, the camera club I belong to is having a competition against 3 other clubs in the Cape Cod area. There are 25 different catagories in the competition,one of which is bridges. I signed up for 3 catagories, bridges being one of them.

Our club is meeting tonight, for the purpose of having the members look at all the entries and vote on, which photograph, in each of the catagories will represent the club.

There are many bridges on the Cape that are considered local icons. They've been photographed to death. I decided to take a different route. There is an art gallery not more than a mile from my home that is situated on the saltmarsh. They have gardens and trails behind their property that is spectacular. They also have the 2 bridges you see here.

I've always wanted to take a photograph of the rope bridge. First, because it's so unusual to see here on the Cape. Secondly, because I think it's beautiful.

In the second photo, you see the door/gate at the end of the bridge. I thought this was a much more compelling image because it drew me in and made me want to try and figure out what's on the other side- as you mentioned. This is the photograph I plan to submit tonight.

Here is a picture taken from the other side. I opened the gate and the bridge leads out to the marsh from their gardens. I really didn't think it was nearly as interesting.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:38 PM   #5

Very interesting Zig. Good luck with the contest. And you are correct, the image you are choosing definitely compels the curiosity of the viewer as to what lies beyond the door. I think it is a winner, and if the judges have any smarts they will also.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I've been in the habit of shooting 5frames bracketed @ .30exp comp.
These two were also done in this fashion.
Zig, wouldn't shooting 5 frames to do HDR potentially introduce blur in the pics as stuff has changed between frames? For instance, that second pic with the bridge leading to the door, I find that there is blur in the tall grass high on each side of the bridge. Are my eyes deceiving me? Also, how does one counter this? Or maybe I wasn't supposed to see that as the focus is somewhere else?

BTW, that pic leading to the door is very good!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Zig, wouldn't shooting 5 frames to do HDR potentially introduce blur in the pics as stuff has changed between frames? For instance, that second pic with the bridge leading to the door, I find that there is blur in the tall grass high on each side of the bridge. Are my eyes deceiving me? Also, how does one counter this? Or maybe I wasn't supposed to see that as the focus is somewhere else?

BTW, that pic leading to the door is very good!
Hi Dan,

You're quite right. At times, there is some blur created when you try to layer 5 frames, one over the other, when it's breezy out. The software usually does a good job of mitigating that. Also, I use a shutter speed of 1/250 to 1/320 sec.and that's usually enough shutter speed to eliminate (for the most part) the blur.

In this particular image, I decided not to work on 'cleaning up' the tall grass as it IMHO, helped to blur the background and, I think, draw your eye into the rope bridge, the wood slats and the door on the far side.

I'll let you guys know tomorrow, if I was successful in conveying that same feeling tonight at the judging.

Zig

Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I'll let you guys know tomorrow, if I was successful in conveying that same feeling tonight at the judging.
Zig
Good luck - I think the photo you chose is a winner.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:35 AM   #9

Hi Ted,

Thanks,
and much appreciated.

Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:52 AM   #10

Well, last night I went to the Club meeting and as mentioned there are 25 catagories of which I entered into 3 of them.

The three were Bridges, Backyard Birds, and Graffiti

I came in 1st place in all 3. What I didn't realize, was that in the interest of fair play, a contestant could only have one photo finish in 1st. So, the judges, looked at my 3 photos and chose what they thought would be the most competitive photo. .......The bridge lost out.

Here are my 3 entries. The Goldfinch won out over the others.