Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1

Default 12-60mm and Manhattan

Hi everyone,

During the last weeks I had the idea to start a new system and I was thinking about the Canon 7D, I love my Olympus gear but I have to admit the AF system of Olympus is not to fast in low light situations.

I posted in Dpreview the question about this and some people advised me to buy the Zuiko 12-60mm.

I bought a used one and I received this afternoon at my office and I shoot some test pictures to try it.

It is a nice lens, very similar to my 14-54mm mkI but definitely the AF is superior.

I'm happy with the lens and I don't think it will be necessary to buy another system... I found what I was looking for.

Manhattan- 34th St - ISO 800

A beautiful smile at ISO 1600 :-)

Filtered with Topaz

The NYPD in action - ISO 800

Penn Station - ISO 800

Long Island - Train Station, this is a very dark place down the train rails.

ISO 3200, filtered with Topaz

A house entrance... the lens focus the scene in seconds.

ISO 3200 - Filtered with Topaz

Thank you for looking I hope you like the tour.

Have a great weekend.

Marcelo

Last edited by MarceloLI; Oct 21, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:10 AM   #2

Hi Marcelo,

Glad the 12-60mm didn't disappoint you

Even though the 14-54mm is a fine lens, the added angle of view on the wide side plus the sharpness of the 12-60mm, IMHO, makes it a far better lens. AF is an improvement as well-especally in low light. To me, it really makes the E-30 into a new system.

The only fly in the ointment is that at ISO above 800, you need to use a noise removal plug-in to clean up the noise. But that's an Oly camera issue, not the lens.

Great series of low light examples of both Manhattan and the capabilities of the 12-60mm SWD.

I'm going to be in Manhattan in a couple of weeks to view the Ground Zero Memorial. Can't wait to go.

In the meantime, enjoy your new lens.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:08 PM   #3

Impressive shots Marcello. Crisp, clean, and well composed. Pretty smile from your friend as well. Love the motion with the police car.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:22 PM   #4

Superb shots as usual Marcelo. Looks like you will have fun with your new lens. You definitely know how to capture low light images. I can see how evening shots in NYC would provide a lot of photo opportunities for you, and you have a good eye for compostion for those types of scenes. All the shots that you have previously posted have been super.

I rarely take low light shots, so that has not been a big consideration for me. Living in the sunshine state, my problems are more along the lines of blown highlights from the strong sun reflections off the subjects.

(Some of us are still trying to save up money for the 14-54mm)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:14 PM   #5

Great shots Marcelo, I can honestly say I would not walk down that train station in that lighting without a body guard : )
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:33 PM   #6

Default Zig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Marcelo,

Glad the 12-60mm didn't disappoint you

Even though the 14-54mm is a fine lens, the added angle of view on the wide side plus the sharpness of the 12-60mm, IMHO, makes it a far better lens. AF is an improvement as well-especally in low light. To me, it really makes the E-30 into a new system.

The only fly in the ointment is that at ISO above 800, you need to use a noise removal plug-in to clean up the noise. But that's an Oly camera issue, not the lens.

Great series of low light examples of both Manhattan and the capabilities of the 12-60mm SWD.

Thank you Zig.

I'm going to be in Manhattan in a couple of weeks to view the Ground Zero Memorial. Can't wait to go.

Zig
Hi Zig,

It is a nice lens, the fast AF is noticeable compared with the 14-54mm specially in dim light, about the sharpness my 14-54mm is the best, it is extremely sharp but I don't know yet compared with the 12-60mm.

When you arrive send me a message maybe we can shoot together.

Thank you.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:35 PM   #7

Default Hi Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Impressive shots Marcello. Crisp, clean, and well composed. Pretty smile from your friend as well. Love the motion with the police car.

Thank you for your nice feedback, I'm glad you like it.

Manhattan is a very photogenic city.

Regards.

Marcelo
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:42 PM   #8

Default Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Superb shots as usual Marcelo. Looks like you will have fun with your new lens. You definitely know how to capture low light images. I can see how evening shots in NYC would provide a lot of photo opportunities for you, and you have a good eye for compostion for those types of scenes. All the shots that you have previously posted have been super.

I rarely take low light shots, so that has not been a big consideration for me. Living in the sunshine state, my problems are more along the lines of blown highlights from the strong sun reflections off the subjects.

Hi Steven,

Thank you so much for your generous commentary, I glad my pictures are welcome in this forum.

Posting pictures in this forum is a great opportunity to share and learn from others.

I'm working now with some pictures I shoot this afternoon and I was following Zig technique for HDR, I will post some pictures later.

Have a good night.

Marcelo
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post

LOL... I know it is hard specially in this economic moments, the good think about my hobby is the gear come from assignments and work I do in my home studio.

I bought the 12-60mm but I think the 14-54mm and the 11-22mm will be put for sale.

:-)
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:48 PM   #10

Default Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Great shots Marcelo, I can honestly say I would not walk down that train station in that lighting without a body guard : )
Eric
LOL... my neighborhood is a quiet and peaceful place and the picture shows the place darker than usually is.

Have a nice week Eric.