Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:07 PM   #1

Default Seascape - HDR

This afternoon I went to Jones Beach to shoot some seascapes unfortunately I didn't find anything interesting. Went back to Long Beach and I found a nice scenario to put in practice the HDR according with Zig's technique.

I found challenging to obtain sharp pictures because the effect of the wing and the action to press the shooter 5 times for the bracketed pictures ( I forgot my cable release).

This is what I got today but I feel that I need to improve my technique to achieve a more natural look , like Zig's HDR's.

I hope you like it and have a great weekend.

Marcelo

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:13 AM   #2

Good morning,

One thing is sure Marcelo, you certainly have the eye and ability to frame and compose a scene that could be just a candid into something with interest and perspective.

These are just great. I really like the inclusion of the foreground in the first frame.

As for suggestions (if you want one). Try using the "graduated neutral density filter" tool found in Adobe Camera Raw to gradually darken and to enrich the color of the sky. It is particularly useful in seascapes since the horizon line is generally straight.

By the way, set your shutter release to "HI continuous". Then, all you need to do is press and hold your shutter. It will keep on taking shots until you hear 5 shutter releases, then release the shutter. "Piece of cake"

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Oct 24, 2011 at 7:17 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:41 AM   #3

I guess Zig said it all. I just enjoyed seeing them. I can see how the wind and wave action would make it harder but that 'slight' motion make the photo come alive.

As for 'more natural" they look just fine, really good to me, and not anywhere near UNnatural.

Last edited by Scouse; Oct 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:59 PM   #4

Thank you Zig, the graduated neutral density filter is something that I never had used before, do you use it in every single picture before to export the set of 5 pictures to Photomatix?

Thank you for the tip about the continuous shutter release.

I will post more HDR this days.

Ken,

I'm glad you like it and thank you for the feedback.

Regards,

Marcelo
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Thank you Zig, the graduated neutral density filter is something that I never had used before, do you use it in every single picture before to export the set of 5 pictures to Photomatix?

Regards,

Marcelo
Hi,
Actually, I use Adobe's Camera RAW after I use Photomatix. Once the 5 images are blended and tonemapped I bring the file into ACR and perform most of the final post processing steps i.e. clarity, noise, color, and contrast adjustments.

As for adjusting the sky with the GND filter tool, I use that on those images that I think need the sky to be enhanced a little. Most often, the Photomatix program does a good job of that with no further adjustments necessary,

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:16 PM   #6

Hey Mareclo

That first pic looks just stonking.. really nicely done, so it looks like you have the technique nailed. I think Zig and teh guys have pretty much nailed it with their comments.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:43 PM   #7

Default Harj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Mareclo

That first pic looks just stonking.. really nicely done, so it looks like you have the technique nailed. I think Zig and teh guys have pretty much nailed it with their comments.

Cheers

Harj
Thank you Harj,

Just exploring new techniques to enhance what I capture with my camera.

Regards.

Marcelo