Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 2, 2011, 1:37 PM   #1

Default Photographing hi-fi audio equipment in studio

Hey all,

So I have decided to shoot hi-fi audio equipment and other electronics in studio for product photography class.

My subjects would be things like speakers, amplifier, a headphone and a few other electronic things. I have searched the net but it seems there arent many tutorials on how to shoot electronic items. Does anyone have experience in shooting such objects or can direct me to a place where I should be looking for inspiration?

Here's a shot I did yesterday. I dont personally like it too much but it seems everyone else in the class liked it.

Name:  DSC_4761.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  160.9 KB
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:43 PM   #2

Did you try Googling "product photography" and then narrow it down from there? I like the image fairly well. I think I would have done something else with the wires. Don't know what... just something.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:51 PM   #3

I like the image. I would consider capturing the total reflection of the earphones, you only have a partial reflection.

No problem with the wires, but another option is to bring the wires completely into the photo by laying them in a tight coil with the stereo plug showing. That adds another visual element, and also captures the whole product.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I like the image. I would consider capturing the total reflection of the earphones, you only have a partial reflection.

No problem with the wires, but another option is to bring the wires completely into the photo by laying them in a tight coil with the stereo plug showing. That adds another visual element, and also captures the whole product.
See? That's something.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:21 AM   #5

Thanks Steven and Gary for the feedback on the image. I agree about the wires and I am definitely going to try and shoot with the wires completely in the frame and enhancing the plug to make the overall headset look more appealing. This setup took me two hours and 50 photos to reach this result but I'm glad I got it close to what I wanted.

As for searching on google, I have not only tried that but also youtubed and went through several magazines but most shots are either done on a white or black background with similar kind of lighting. I am thinking maybe electronics is not what most people like to photograph as compared to perfumes and drinks. Translucent surfaces are excellent subjects to experiment with. I'll keep posting images for feedback hopefully.

Zee
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:37 AM   #6

I like the picture and I agree with Steven and Gary about the wires and achieving a different angle of the subject.

I would like to add something else:

- Lightning focused on the subject, I noticed you are hitting the background.

- The blue cast is nice and maybe a deep blue will work better.

- Use a withe paper to avoid the reflection so you can focus the attention on the earphones.

Just my 2 cents.

:-)
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:16 AM   #7

Thanks Marcelo. I used two lights, a large softbox in front towards the right and another light with a parabola from the top hitting the background. The blue cast is created by attaching a blue cellophane paper on the top light. The purpose of using two lights was to create a seamless gradient of blue on the background however as you see there's a blue hot spot on the background which wasnt the original intention.

I intend to shoot this scene again using a strip box placed horizontally at 90 degrees from the ground and in line with the headphones. I'm hoping it would create a seamless gradient of white/gray on the background. To have the shadowy gray area appear blue I'm thinking of either bouncing the top light off the ceiling or hitting at the very top of the background to get rid of the hot spot. Will also try and put a reflector on top of the headphones to prevent the spill of blue light on it. I hope that works. And I'm definitely going to experiment with several angles.

Thanks for your 2 cents