Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:49 AM   #1

Default Occuppy london's Stok Exhange ..

A few pics from the "Occupy London's Stock Exchange" from the weekend. The LSE is rigth next to St Paul's Cathedral in the centre of the city and the EX itself was under lockdown by the police to prevent it from being occupied. I went down to show my solidarity with those camping out side the exchange. The atmosphere is pretty cool and relaxed even though there was the looming possibility of them being evicted by thej church and the city of London. Lots of camera crews about and interviews taking place throughout the 2 hours I was there and I met the campaigner Peter Thatchell.

An overcast day so I was shooting at ISO1000-1250 with the E3 + 35-100F2. The IQ at ISO 1250 with SHG wasn;t as good as I thought it would have been esp without applying NR in LR - I was expecting the files to have a lot of fine grain and I would have been more than happy with that but it simply wasn;t the case. I also found that a number of images were OOF (too many for my liking) even though the shutter speed was initially 1/200 -1/250 but then again I was lugging around the beastie and a brolley at the same time. I'm going to go back this weekend and shoot without IS and filter to see if things improve but it all got me thinking about how much of an improvement would the E5 have been in terms of IQ.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Nov 3, 2011 at 6:30 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:41 AM   #2

Very impressing pictures Harj.
Looks like we are actualy there.
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:05 PM   #3

Great series HarjTT, very sharp pictures and the bokeh of the 35-100F2 is unique.

It is a great lens..! I never had the chance to see or play with one of those.

The B&W conversion is nice and I like the grain on the picture.

The "Occuppy movement" is growing everyday in USA, the big demonstrations this week are happening in Oakland-California and Wall Street-New York.

Looks like we will experience big changes soon in the economy, political and social levels in the entire world.

Well... we have cameras to catch this historic events.

Thank you for sharing.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:51 PM   #4

Sorry for the late comment, Harj - I was out of town. I really like these - I also feel like I was there. As Marcelo says, the movement is growing. In a recent poll 43% of US folks agree with the OWS issues. The expression on the face of the woman in #6 says it all.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:50 PM   #5

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments ..Ted/Marcelo as you both have the E5 how much of an improvement is ISo1250 over the E3's esp in terms of detail ?

Marcelo, the 35-100F2 .. is a pretty special lens but it can be pretty intimidating at an event like that, so something like Pana's 25mm 1.4 would have been really handy . Quiet a few pics weren't as sharp as I was expecting them to be even though I knew at ISO1000+ they werent going to be super sharp as they would at ISO400 or less. Things did improve once I upped the shutter speed to 1/320 or faster, so possibly the 1/(2x FL) needs to change to 1/3xFL .

The OOF really is a pain as the LCD on the E3 doesn't have the resolution to make a critical judgement as to whether the pic needs redoing.. another plus point to the E5. I'm wondering whether its partly down to the filter and possibly IS .. the pic of the lady from memory the focus should have been on her eyes but it some how ended up on the board she was holding. The guy in the chair at 100% isn't in focus either .. its slightly off and looks to be on his right elbow instead of his face.

The B&W pic .. I think is the first shot that I've ever added noise to! Not much I think just 20% in LR but it needed it esp if viewed at 100% some of the detail just looked like mush. Adding that wee bit did improve things.

There was someone that had flown over from the US .. possibly from the Occupy Wall street who gave a speech before I made a move back home. Its interesting times indeed ahead .. what got me was a recent piece by Prof Paul Krugman in the NYTimes (one of my favorite reads) who pointed out that we've been down those path before .. in the early 1930s with FDR. Lets hope that the lobbyists/bankers/industrialists loose out this time!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments ..Ted/Marcelo as you both have the E5 how much of an improvement is ISo1250 over the E3's esp in terms of detail ?

Marcelo, the 35-100F2 .. is a pretty special lens but it can be pretty intimidating at an event like that, so something like Pana's 25mm 1.4 would have been really handy . Quiet a few pics weren't as sharp as I was expecting them to be even though I knew at ISO1000+ they werent going to be super sharp as they would at ISO400 or less. Things did improve once I upped the shutter speed to 1/320 or faster, so possibly the 1/(2x FL) needs to change to 1/3xFL .
Harj, I found ISO1250 marginal on the E3 and normally didn't go above 800 or so. Here is a photo at ISO1250, f/2 with the E5:

If you double-click it you should end up at the photo on my Smugmug site where you can see it larger. Note the detail in his gray hair above his right ear at the "Original" size. At that size you can see noise but keep in mind that the lighting was at eV 6. At the X3 size it looks good to me.

Harj, I almost never shoot the 35-100 hand held - I use a monopod. I guess I just can't hold it steady enough for sharp photos at my age. I know a monopod is a PITA for street shooting but that may be what you need to do.

Ted
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:08 PM   #7

I agree with Ted, with my E3 over 800 is noisy, the E5 shows better high ISO's capabilities, specially the JPG's from the camera are fantastic.

When I shoot with the E5 RAW at high ISO's (1600-2000 -2500 max) if the JPG is right about WB and exposure I would say the noise is acceptable but when I process the RAW file the file result in a very noisy picture.

Ted, the picture you are showing is a JPG out of the camera or is product of a RAW process?

I would like to know what settings you use in your camera for Noise Filter and Noise Reduction, do you mind to share?

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Ted, the picture you are showing is a JPG out of the camera or is product of a RAW process?
I rarely use the OOC Jpegs. This was processed in ACR primarily to adjust the WB since the lighting was a combination of halogen and compact flourescent- even the E5 had trouble with that.

I don't adjust the ACR noise setting - if I need to remove noise I use Noise Ninja. I use ACR to adjust the Fill, Black, and Brightness levels depending on the DR of the photo, add Contrast (I keep the camera's default contrast at -1 and adjust it in ACR), and I always add Clarity and Vibrance but leave the Saturation slider alone. If it's an outdoor photo I sometimes then open it in Photoshop itself and play with the NIK Polarizer software filter. If the photo has verticals or horizontals that need correction I do that in DxO optics. If I had the time to learn DxO better I'd probably use only it.

Obviously if I were a pro photographer I'd have to pay much more attention to simplifying or automating my PP (or shooting better images in the camera) or I'd go out of business quickly.

If you use IrfanView to view JPEGs you have to be careful. Sometimes it decides without my permission to show noise that is not there when viewing the jpeg in Photoshop, Smugmug, or this forum. I cure this problem by re-installing Irfanview or upgrading it to the latest release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
I would like to know what settings you use in your camera for Noise Filter and Noise Reduction
Noise Filter is Low. Noise Reduction is Auto; this setting doesn't matter unless you take long exposures.

Is this what you wanted to know?

Ted

Edit: a) I do calibrate my monitor with a Spyder. I don't think that's so much important for removing noise accurately as it is for color and contract adjustments. b) if you print your images I think you'll find that noise is less visible in prints than on a monitor.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Nov 5, 2011 at 5:09 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:32 PM   #9

Great set of images,HarjTT...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:15 PM   #10

Harj lose the filter, and if you can run high shutter speeds, go to good holding techniques using the crook of your left arm, in such a case I would play safe and dismiss IS. Then re-evaluate how it goes

Watch what ISO's you are running re acsmiths piece
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...-examples.html

Be careful man, sooner or later the Govt will lose patience with this stuff (it isnt in their interests) and move to forcibly countering the crowds. Keep aware of what is going on around you all the time, and leave yourself room to bug out with a planned escape exit. If you get caught in the crowd you will be subject to what is intended for them,
...........and that might not be good
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote