Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:24 PM   #1

Default Ex-25

I am considering plunkin' down some cash for an EX-25. I have read the reviews, all of which say it's really good. But, HOW good and good with what lens(es)? Anybody care to enlighten me? Should I just stick with my Raynox DCRs?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:02 PM   #2

Gary - you know it's just an extension tube with electrical connections, not a lens. So "good" just means it does what it's supposed to do without affecting image quality. It's most helpful if you want to do macro without getting too close to a subject that otherwise would bite, sting, or run away. Add the EX-25 to a telephoto lens and you can keep the front of the lens farther away from the subject. It does indeed work very well for this.

It does seem somewhat expensive for a tube without glass but it is certainly robust - it will hold the 35-100 f/2. Since it has no moving parts getting a used one would be low risk and less expensive.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Gary - you know it's just an extension tube with electrical connections, not a lens. So "good" just means it does what it's supposed to do without affecting image quality. It's most helpful if you want to do macro without getting too close to a subject that otherwise would bite, sting, or run away. Add the EX-25 to a telephoto lens and you can keep the front of the lens farther away from the subject. It does indeed work very well for this.

It does seem somewhat expensive for a tube without glass but it is certainly robust - it will hold the 35-100 f/2. Since it has no moving parts getting a used one would be low risk and less expensive.

Ted
Thanks, Ted. You've been MOST helpful. Yeah, I know it's just an electrically-connected extension tube but that connect sure beats trying to manually focus for me. I can do manual focus but, not very well. So, this will help quite a bit.
My Gallery

--
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I can do manual focus but, not very well. So, this will help quite a bit.
In my (somewhat limited) macro experience, if you're trying to get down to 1:1 macro, the DOF is so tiny that you'll very likely need to have the camera on a tripod. Then you zoom the lens to get the focus close, and the lens will autofocus with the EX-25. If your subject is moving, however, you open up avenues of frustration beyond your worst nightmares.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
In my (somewhat limited) macro experience, if you're trying to get down to 1:1 macro, the DOF is so tiny that you'll very likely need to have the camera on a tripod. Then you zoom the lens to get the focus close, and the lens will autofocus with the EX-25. If your subject is moving, however, you open up avenues of frustration beyond your worst nightmares.
I use a tripod a lot, anyways. I've worked with the Raynox DCR-250 so, I'm familiar with the minuscule DOF. heheheh
My Gallery

--
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:30 PM   #6

The tube works very well with both the 70-300 and/or the 50-200.

The great thing about the tube compared to something like a Raynox closeup lens is, when zoomed out towards the longer end of the zoom range, you can both focus very close and maintain a decent distance from the subject. You can reach into a bed of blooms and get a good closeup of something you cannot get close enough physically to use the Raynox because you have to literally be right on top of the subject to use a closeup lens. Not the case when using the EX25 with a tele zoom.

Today I'm pretty much only using Pen bodies, but I do still have both my EX25 tube and the 70-300 four-thirds lens. There's nothing in the micro line yet that really replaces that combination for the unique type of closeup work it allows.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The tube works very well with both the 70-300 and/or the 50-200.

The great thing about the tube compared to something like a Raynox closeup lens is, when zoomed out towards the longer end of the zoom range, you can both focus very close and maintain a decent distance from the subject. You can reach into a bed of blooms and get a good closeup of something you cannot get close enough physically to use the Raynox because you have to literally be right on top of the subject to use a closeup lens. Not the case when using the EX25 with a tele zoom.

Today I'm pretty much only using Pen bodies, but I do still have both my EX25 tube and the 70-300 four-thirds lens. There's nothing in the micro line yet that really replaces that combination for the unique type of closeup work it allows.
Thanks a lot, Greg. I ordered it today. Can't wait to try it with the 50-200mm!!
My Gallery

--