Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default Rainy Day Red

I haven't seen these Red-bellied Woodpeckers at my feeding station since last winter so it was a real treat seeing this female out in the rain & gloom this morning.







__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Camano Island, WA.
Posts: 2,328
Default

Nice Gary.
The woodpeckers are cool birds, aren't they?! We have about 6 brands! here from the Downey (Robert Jnr.) to the Piliated.
Haven't seen this pretty guy though.
__________________
Ken.
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:04 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

Nice bird Gary. If you only see them in the winter, are they migrating down from further north? Or is it that they don't come to your feeder because they have an easier time finding food in warmer weather?

Another thought. I don't have a teleconverter and I know that you sometimes use one with your 50-200mm. Have you done any comparison between the 50-200mmm only with just cropping, vs the results for the same image size of the lens + the converter? That might be an interesting experiment.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Nice Gary.
The woodpeckers are cool birds, aren't they?! We have about 6 brands! here from the Downey (Robert Jnr.) to the Piliated.
Haven't seen this pretty guy though.
I have yet to catch a piliated at the feeders and I seriously doubt if I will. They tend to be way to heavy cover oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Nice bird Gary. If you only see them in the winter, are they migrating down from further north? Or is it that they don't come to your feeder because they have an easier time finding food in warmer weather?
They have a much easier time finding food in warmer weather, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Another thought. I don't have a teleconverter and I know that you sometimes use one with your 50-200mm. Have you done any comparison between the 50-200mmm only with just cropping, vs the results for the same image size of the lens + the converter? That might be an interesting experiment.
Well, you know me... I love to experiment! I'll probably do it in the near future. Right now, there seems to be a lot of action at the feeders.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Lordje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Harelbeke, Belgium
Posts: 761
Default

Nice shots Gary, your fooding place delivers a variety of different birds.
Must be a lot of fun.
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
Nice shots Gary, your fooding place delivers a variety of different birds.
Must be a lot of fun.
Many thanks, Lordje. Yes, it does. The feeding station is built from debris left after remnants of a hurricane past through this area a few years ago. As you can see from the closer images, it's due to be replaced as it beginning to deteriorate.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:54 AM.