Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default Killer

This hawk made a kill on a female cardinal right in front of my face! Then, he carried it to a place on our front lawn until he was sure it was dead and flew off with it.

__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 722
Default

Love the shot. The eye of the hawk is great. Feel bad for the cardinal but that is life.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Love the shot. The eye of the hawk is great. Feel bad for the cardinal but that is life.
Eric
Thanks, Eric! I felt bad, too. But, it all happened so fast and, honestly, it's just the way of nature. If he wouldn't have made a kill here, he would have somewhere else. I just wish it had been a freakin' grackle!
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Camano Island, WA.
Posts: 2,328
Default

A guy has to eat...! Funny the way they look around while feeling with their "Toes" to make sure.

That is a well caught shot though Gary, excellent!


One day while on the computer, I was surprised by a dove slaming into my window right in front of me. He hit it twice then I saw why, as a hawk grabbed him before he could break in.
No Camara of course!!!
__________________
Ken.
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.

Last edited by Scouse; Nov 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
A guy has to eat...! Funny the way they look around while feeling with their "Toes" to make sure.

That is a well caught shot though Gary, excellent!


One day while on the computer, I was surprised by a dove slaming into my window right in front of me. He hit it twice then I saw why, as a hawk grabbed him before he could break in.
No Camara of course!!!
Thanks, Ken. That's EXACTLY what happened with this cardinal. Of course, they were too close for the 50-200mm so I was lucky to get this one shot.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Lordje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Harelbeke, Belgium
Posts: 761
Default

Nice picture of this hawk, pitty for for the cardinal.
Hope this hawk doesn't stay in your area.
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
Nice picture of this hawk, pitty for for the cardinal.
Hope this hawk doesn't stay in your area.
In a way, I hope he does. He keeps the grackles and starlings away and makes for some really good photo ops.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:10 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

That has to be a Cooper's Hawk. You certainly have a good selection of hawk species around your neighborhood.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
spedangie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 514
Default

Oh I'm with you on the grackle! Sometimes we have had 50 of those suckers gobbling seed at our feeders. It is such a great illustration of the cycle of life that is the way of nature. I do admire hawks, such observant and determined creatures.
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedangie View Post
Oh I'm with you on the grackle! Sometimes we have had 50 of those suckers gobbling seed at our feeders. It is such a great illustration of the cycle of life that is the way of nature. I do admire hawks, such observant and determined creatures.
When these guys come around the grackles stay away MOST of the time. They don't deter the other birds much if they're not in the immediate vicinity. But, I've seen these guys take out grackles right in front of me and it is a sight to "almost" behold. They are so fast and powerful that you'll be looking a grackle one second and puff of black feathers fluttering to the ground the next and sit there wondering, "What the heck was THAT!?".



Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
That has to be a Cooper's Hawk. You certainly have a good selection of hawk species around your neighborhood.
Yeah, I sure do, Steve. We have a big, open field with a copse of trees smack-dab in the middle that they love to hunt in. And, of course, they really like the feeding station.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:34 PM.