Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:05 PM   #1

Default Bull Fight Secuence -Beware graphic content-

Had the opportunity to shoot a bull fight show in Quito and I captured the moment one of the bulls lifted to the air to the "torero" or bullfighter.

I know this is a very controversial tradition and I don't want to start a discussion here about animal rights... I just want to show the ability of my equipment.

I respect personal beliefs and I don't want to hurt people feelings, so if you are against this practice please just leave this post and avoid looking at the pictures.

None of the pictures show blood from the animal... just the bullfighter.

P.D According with the last referendum in Ecuador it is against the law to kill the animal in the arena.

I use the E5 + 50-200mm (hand held) ISO 400

I found two photographers working for local newspapers shooting with a Olympus E3 and E30 the rest Canon-Nikon.

Have a great week everyone.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:23 PM   #2

Hey Marcelo

Firstly .. I'm glad you posted the sequence, even though I personally don;t agree with Bullfighting - if they let the bull live then it wouldn't be a problem. It is a great subject to shoot and I've been planning on doing a fashion shoot with a Bull fighting theme for a good while ... so more inspiration!

Now back to the pics.. I like them all and I think you captured the fight sequence really well. From those sizes it looks as if the E5 and 50-200 nailed the focus - I'm assuming it was SAF or did u risk using CAF ? What was the keeper rate .. ?? The Bull with its eyes closed is a first for me as it looks as if he's just wincing before the hit and catching the fighter in the air's pretty impressive stuff.

If there's more and as good as these it'd be good to see them ?

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:04 PM   #3

An impressive display of both your skill and the capability of the equipment. Well done Marcelo. The action sequence in general, and the capture in #8 is very impressive.
Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:04 PM   #4

Harj & Steven said it well, "very impressive images to exhibit your photographic skill"' I agree and thank you for sharing.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:06 AM   #5

These are incredible, Marcelo! What a brilliant series!! Bravo!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Great Sequencial shots, you've really caught the moment. Looks like the matador got off with a bit of luck after his clumsy attempt of showboating. Bit of a scrape on his forehead after the faceplant, prolly bruised ribs and ego...!

I like the way you kept the DOF with the speed, must have had plenty of light. Sometimes it's nice to narrow in on the action but I like the crowd involvement here. You can almost hear the: "Oooh, that's gotta hurt." Bull 1 - Matador 0. Bull wins on points.

I went to a Bullfight in the big arena in Barcelona back in 1960. Huge occasion with a well known Matador. Still have some slides somewhere. Had to go and see first hand didn't I, first and last time though. It got pretty bloody. Guess I'm no Hemmingway.

Well done Marcelo.

Last edited by Scouse; Jan 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:40 PM   #7

Default Harj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Marcelo

Firstly .. I'm glad you posted the sequence, even though I personally don;t agree with Bullfighting - if they let the bull live then it wouldn't be a problem. It is a great subject to shoot and I've been planning on doing a fashion shoot with a Bull fighting theme for a good while ... so more inspiration!

Now back to the pics.. I like them all and I think you captured the fight sequence really well. From those sizes it looks as if the E5 and 50-200 nailed the focus - I'm assuming it was SAF or did u risk using CAF ? What was the keeper rate .. ?? The Bull with its eyes closed is a first for me as it looks as if he's just wincing before the hit and catching the fighter in the air's pretty impressive stuff.

If there's more and as good as these it'd be good to see them ?

Cheers

Harj

Thank you Harj for your feedback, I used SAF and it works great when the action is happening from left-right-left of your lens but when the bull is coming in front or back is when I noticed the out of focus shots. I don't blame the camera... it is my inexperience the one to blame as I don't have a clue how to use CAF, all my shots are out of focus when I use it.

The keeper rate was very high.. I would say 70%.

If you want to see more check my gallery:

http://marcelobarrera.zenfolio.com/f105833189

Regards.

Marcelo
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:43 PM   #8

Default Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
An impressive display of both your skill and the capability of the equipment. Well done Marcelo. The action sequence in general, and the capture in #8 is very impressive.

Thank you Steven, I'm glad you like the pictures.

The combo E5 + 50-200 is amazing in all the situations.

I like also the 8th picture, amazing the power of this bulls.

Regards.

Marcelo
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:12 PM   #9

Default Bob, Gary and Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Great Sequencial shots, you've really caught the moment. Looks like the matador got off with a bit of luck after his clumsy attempt of showboating. Bit of a scrape on his forehead after the faceplant, prolly bruised ribs and ego...!

I like the way you kept the DOF with the speed, must have had plenty of light. Sometimes it's nice to narrow in on the action but I like the crowd involvement here. You can almost hear the: "Oooh, that's gotta hurt." Bull 1 - Matador 0. Bull wins on points.

I went to a Bullfight in the big arena in Barcelona back in 1960. Huge occasion with a well known Matador. Still have some slides somewhere. Had to go and see first hand didn't I, first and last time though. It got pretty bloody. Guess I'm no Hemmingway.

Well done Marcelo.

Thank you for your comments guys, I really appreciate it.

Ken,

The day was cloudy and we had a little of rain, zooming at 200mm with ISO 400 and an aperture of f/2.9 or 3.5 I had shutter speeds of 1/640 - 1/1000 enough to freeze the action.

The matador was lucky enough to be alive, the power of a bull is brutal..!!

I like the expressions of the people also, specially the woman's.

Bullfights are a very old tradition in some countries and it will be hard to change or eliminate... but you never know today in Spain a law put this events out of Cataluna and Sevilla.

Thank you for looking.

Marcelo
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:20 AM   #10

Marcelo,
Great action shots. I think the matador met his match : ) I went to a bullfight in the 60s as well when I was in Spain. I respect tradition but never understood why the bull had to die. If it was me in the ring with him he would die of exhaustion chasing me around the ring.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote