Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:54 PM   #11

Hey ted

UV filter wise, if I'm outside then its going to stay on but in studio I've taken the risk as its usually a pretty clear and hazard free. I'm like you in that I was and still am reluctant to remove the filter esp when you consider how much the beastie costs these days but I'm now certain that without the filter the number of OOF pics is going to be very small.

Hopefully, I'll take some screenshots of the histogram tonight and post them. I've just checked on a calibrated 24" Dell UltraSharp U2410 (connected to a macpro) and the skin tones look very good with no red tint, so I'm wondering if its an OS (Windows/OSX/Linux) and in my case a cheap TNT display?

One other odd bit that I've only just recently noticed is that in LR, the exposure and the histogram are spot on but once you pull the file (PSD's for me) into CS, the histogram there is showing it as slightly underexposed. Has anyone else noticed that ?

Cheers

HArj

Last edited by HarjTT; Jan 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:39 PM   #12

The pictures have a red pink cast and I noticed it when I posted my firs commentary but I though is my "kindle fire" showing the pictures in that way.

Looking now the pictures in my office laptop the pictures show the same red color.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:14 PM   #13

And you're not seeing it here, Marcelo, right?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...one-month.html
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:35 PM   #14

Hey Guys..

I should have added that I see the same red cast/tint on my old Acer laptop but then again its never been reliable enough to use for colour accuracy. Ted, Now compared to the shots that I took in August and June there's a big difference even when looking on my laptop - the only thing thats changed is that I updated to LR 3.6, so I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. I'll work on one of the other pics in LR3.6 and post that as well.

Cheers

Harj
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:23 PM   #15

Harj, I'm happy to help you track this down.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:47 PM   #16

I get the same slightly reddish tint on both my office and home computer, using either IE9 or Firefox.

I had thought that was the just the way that Harjj had processed them on purpose for an extra warm look, and to be truthful, I thought the warm look had a nice glow to it.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:41 PM   #17

Default Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
And you're not seeing it here, Marcelo, right?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...one-month.html
No, the pictures from this post looks ok to.me.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:53 AM   #18

Ok.. here's the histograms:

1. LR 3.6 - Amber

The same shot exported into CS4 as a psd - nothing other than retouching the skins been applied to the original PSD, all curves and B&W layers have been switched off:

What I did notice is that the histogram between LR and CS4 are slightly different esp in the red channel.

2. Marine - CS4

3. Agata -LR

A couple of things that I remembered :

1. The lighting for the last two shoots was slightly different in setup - the last two shoots (Amber and Agata) - 2 strip lights behind them right and left of both girls and with the main light with a beauty dish. The shoot with Marina, the lighting was a bit more complexion - 5 lights in total inc the beauty dish.

2. The studio lights WB is 5600K and for some weird reason my E3's RAW files always get shown as being 5200K in LR, C1 and CS4, so 400K less. Thats the case for shooting on any of the preset WB settings - including daylight. This time I forgot to change the WB in LR down to 5000 or 4800 for both shoots. My E1 in daylight shows the WB as being at 5300K +8 in LR but thats not the case with the E3 which ends up stating it being 5000K or 4800K +4 in LR - its done that from the beginning so I've just got used to it.

Retouching wise I only ever adjust the basic settings to try and get the exposure right. Looking at those pics and the histograms even Marina's 1st pic is showing a wee spike in the red channel just like the pics from the latest shoot, while with Ambers first pic theres a big spike in the red channel in LR but in CS4 thats not the case. Looking at the screenshots from LR I'm not seeing the same red tint on my cheap dell screen.. just weird. Will need to check the PSD's in CS4 to see what additional curves I've applied - its usually a single curve layer to increase the brightness a wee bit and if its its needed.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Jan 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:52 AM   #19

hi Harj,

I've been following this and must tell you that I see exactly the same coloration issues as the others. I see the original posted files the same on iMAC 27, MAC-mini HDMI to HP2207 and iPAD.

The screen captures you've posted show true.............. here is a comparison image of the two posts as I see them on the MACs. I've no idea what would cause the difference, just wanted you to see a comparison image

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:20 AM   #20

Hi Bob

I'm wondering if its something that CS4's doing to the files - my work flow is pretty simple:

1. Correct exposure etc in LR, retouch skin as much as I can and then export as a PSD into CS4.
2. in CS4 apply a layer mask and a number of blank layers to the original image for retouching skin, hair, background
3. Apply a single layer curve to increase brightness if required.
4. If making a B&W, add the B&W layer and adjust as necessary.
5. Change to 8bit mode and save as a Jpeg.
6. Resize image to 1024 x 768 and "Save to Web Device" - leave the convert to sRGB option enabled.

I don;t mess about with the colours at all as I simply don;t trust that I'll do a good job esp a without a decent screen to work with and I'm relying on Adobe having a n accurate colour profile for the Oly's. I'm wondering if its a colourspace issue as these pics were done via "Save for Web Device" but then again I've not changed anything with those steps either. Now to complicate things.. I was goofing around with the pics and did some fake mock mag cover using the same jpeg files that I posted earlier in this post:

Whats odd is these two don;t have the very same red tint when looking at the files on the cheap Dell at work..

Last edited by HarjTT; Jan 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM.