Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:41 PM   #1

Default A couple of Fashion/Beauty shoots - Pics

I've been a wee bit quiet with the E3 and only getting to shoot if its a planned shoot or I'm travelling overseas to work!

Back in Sept I decided that I needed to focus on the beauty style of shoot and so the aim of my personal projects shifted, and I also cut down the amount of time I'd spend in studio by half. I was hoping to see if we could get the same kind of results and being more focused in a short time span. here's the pics..

1. First shoot was with Amber in mid Oct:

2. Agata - late Dec 2011

All with the E-3 and 35-100f2. Shot RAW and converted to Jpeg via LR3.6. retouched in CS4. The E-3 and SHG still show that I still have a lot to learn in getting the best out of the cam.

Timewise.. 4 hours is too short for 3 looks , so I'm looking at moving to 5-6 hours instead.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:09 PM   #2

Harj: I've decided that maybe I should give you a new nickname of " Richard" as in "Richard Avedon" who was one of the best ever fashion photographers.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:51 PM   #3

I will vote with you on that Steven. Beautiful work Harj and thanks for showing us your artistry.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:07 AM   #4

Just incredible shots and artistry.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:31 AM   #5

I'll back these guys up, really fine done shots. Definitely better than shooting deer off my deck.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:29 PM   #6

Harj,

Those pictures are fantastic, love the sharpness and of course the beautiful models.

I'm with Ken, better than shooting backyard deers or bullfights in Quito.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:37 PM   #7

Harj, this pictures are professional in all ways, ready for placing in a magazine.
Well done !!
You had also the luck to have nice models I see what is not that simple I supose.
Thank you for sharing those.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:52 AM   #8

Hi, Harj

Beautiful lighting and composition, as usual!

On my calibrated monitor all the color shots have a lot of red in the women's complexion. Was that intentional?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:59 AM   #9

Hi Guys

Thanks for all of the comments and esp to Steve for mentioning Richard A - until then I hadn't heard of him, so I've been looking at his work since.

Ted, I'm glad you bought up the red colour issue as on my work machine I've got the same issue (using a cheap Dell 24" though and its not calibrated). I still haven't replaced the faulty CRT Mitsubishi at home so I'm having to rely on ACR/LR reading the raw files correctly and working with the histogram for PP the files. I only noticed the red issue when I first looked at Ambers files last month on the Dell at work - but on an Apple 21" IPS display the skin tones looked right.I had to get the studio check the files for me as they have a calibrated Apple system and Adrian stated that they looked pretty spot on. I've re-set the Dell monitor again and they still showing up with a red tint but Id always assumed that the display is a cheap TNT panel. So I'm not sure whats causing the red on your calibrated display. Ill check the histogram on one or two pics and post them if that helps. I'd be interested to know if the others are seeing the same thing?

This is the 3rd shoot in studio where I've left the UV filter off the F2 and there's been very few or any OOF (front focused) shots. The few that were slightly OOF were likely to do with Agata moving just slightly - for example her nose is in focus but the eyes are just slightly OOF. So my personal thoughts are that front focusing issue with the E-3 and 35-100F2 that I was getting previously were due to the UV filter and the same possibly goes to others that have had the issue.

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
I've re-set the Dell monitor again and they still showing up with a red tint but Id always assumed that the display is a cheap TNT panel. So I'm not sure whats causing the red on your calibrated display. Ill check the histogram on one or two pics and post them if that helps. I'd be interested to know if the others are seeing the same thing?
I'll recheck the calibration on my monitor but I'm also interested in knowing if anyone else sees what I'm seeing. I haven't seen this on any photo before now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
This is the 3rd shoot in studio where I've left the UV filter off the F2 and there's been very few or any OOF (front focused) shots. The few that were slightly OOF were likely to do with Agata moving just slightly - for example her nose is in focus but the eyes are just slightly OOF. So my personal thoughts are that front focusing issue with the E-3 and 35-100F2 that I was getting previously were due to the UV filter and the same possibly goes to others that have had the issue.

Cheers

HArj
Thanks, Harj. Occasionally folks in other Oly forums have remarked that this can happen and thus is a reason not to keep a filter on a lens (depend on the lens hood for protection instead). But this is the first time I've had someone I trust provide substantiating evidence. Still, it's gonna be hard for me to take a filter off of a lens that costs more than 2 large...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote