Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:26 AM   #1

Default Adobe Lightroom 4 beta out ..

Adobe have the LR4 beta out for download -

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitl...abs_lightroom4

DPR have done a wee preview .. actually its a fair bit of work and from the looks of it Adobe have done a fair bit of tweaking to the development module esp with highlight recovery, detail (clairty) and a new profile for 2012.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:18 AM   #2

Yikes!

I'm still trying to figure out version 3

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:44 AM   #3

Both Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6 need to be REALLY good upgrades since Adobe has said going forward no one will be able top upgrade to it unless they own the now current versions. No skipping upgrades to the new stuff going forward. Just tweeking something and asking someone to pay $195 every 18 months to stay current isn't going to fly with a policy like that.

The clarity and highlight recovery tools in CS5 are pretty darn good. If they are improved, even better.

Profiles?What are those? Us Olympus guys get no stinkin' profiles from Adobe!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 10, 2012 at 8:49 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Yikes!

I'm still trying to figure out version 3

Zig
I've just got the basics down for 2.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5

.....$$$, reason I don't support Adobe, 'nothin' for photo imaging. I left all Photoshop behind when I threw out the MSFT computers and switched to all MACs. I never had a copy of CS because of the cost. For me, I just don't getit when it comes to Adobe philosophy that their software is so good that everyone should like being dollar-raped to see it.

I, along with all BibblePro 5 owners received an email this week announcing the buyout by Corel and the release of AfterShot Pro by Corel.

I've done my changeover to ASP ($19.99), the look, feel, functions and speed is all as good or better than BPpro 5. And all previous processed data is transparent Bibble to ASP. BPp v5.2.3 had added 15 new cameras including all the Olympus PEN series so ASP follows with that for data correction by camera.Though ASP is an enhanced BPp5.2.3 it is at this release a continuance; it makes changeover painless and the existing user upgrade is doable.

BibbleLabs had always been customer loyalty considerate, ADOBE has so many customers that loyalty upgrades make no difference.... kinda reminds me of some in the airlines industry.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:55 AM   #6

Years ago, I made a firm commitment to never install Adobe software programs on my personal computers. I have kept that commitment over the years and have been happy with that decision.

(It's bad enough that I have to put up with their products at work.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:04 PM   #7

I have CS2 and I use it a lot. There's so much on it I don't see me needing to upgrade to anything else. I started out with Broderbund ( Cheap ) which I found very user friendly but lacking a whole lot in functionality except for basics. But I still use Printshop 6 now and then : ) I guess it's what you need and what you're used to.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:29 PM   #8

Default Harj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Adobe have the LR4 beta out for download -

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitl...abs_lightroom4

DPR have done a wee preview .. actually its a fair bit of work and from the looks of it Adobe have done a fair bit of tweaking to the development module esp with highlight recovery, detail (clairty) and a new profile for 2012.

Cheers

Harj
I use PS CS 5 and I'm very happy with this software, what are the benefits of Lightroom in comparison with CS 5 ?

I know the noise control processing in Lightroom is more effective but other than that is another relevant benefit?

Have a great day.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
I use PS CS 5 and I'm very happy with this software, what are the benefits of Lightroom in comparison with CS 5 ?

I know the noise control processing in Lightroom is more effective but other than that is another relevant benefit?

Have a great day.

Marcelo
When it comes to processing RAW files, there is no benefit of having either Photoshop or Lightroom over the other. Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5 have the exact same version of Adobe Camera RAW. The only thing that's different is the product numbering sequence. Upgrades to both with the same improvements are always released at the same time. Everything about the RAW converters for Photoshop and Lightroom, even noise filtering, is the same.

The difference between the two is the other "stuff" included in the program, which I could not begin to detail. Safe to say, I probably do not utilize 80-90% of what Photoshop offers. If all one was after was the RAW converter, Lightroom is the program to buy because it's so much less. Around 2005 I converted from Elements to Photoshop because Adobe had a half-off offer. Lightroom did not exist back then and the discounted price was about what Lightroom costs now.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:19 PM   #10

Hi Guys

Greg's pretty spot on with his comments on the differences on LR and ACR - LR is just providing you with ACR + a image library + web gallery tools. The biggest selling point for me is the way you can manage your images and with the development module they included some additional tools for retouching etc so you could in theory not need to switch to CS. One of the neatest little touches for me is the "Create Virtual image" option that they intro'd in LR3 - previously if you wanted to have a different PP of the same file you had to duplicate the original RAW/Jpeg but with the "CVI" option theres no need to. You can have as many versions as you want without having duplicate files floating around and lossing disk space. Quiet handy if you want to compare a B&W, sepia or colour version.

Ok, first observations on LR4 and pics to follow :

1. Imports are lighting quick. LR3.x/2,x could take a bit of time to import a large number of files. LR4 on the other hand imports 200-300 images within seconds. Previews and switching to the development module and loading the image for retouching is faster as well.

2. LR3.x catalogues are not upgradeable - a good thing esp if they break or do a major update to the beta or you didnt like L4 and wanted to switch back to version LR3

3. The new 2012 profile - seems to change the colour a wee bit. In bright sunny days the pics are not as warm as with 2010 or earlier profiles. I noticed the same with an ISO1250 pic under tungsten lighting was different in LR4, in this case a little cooler.Thats just my initial observations.

4. Highlight recovery, seems to have a improved over LR3.x although how much needs further testing.

5. Noise - they've definitely changed the way theyre handling noise - an ISO1250 file that I had a look at with the new 2012 profile and in LR4. the noise is much finer and more grain like than compared to same file in LR3.x. I'd say that LR4 seems to be much closer to Capture 1 in the way it displays high ISO noise .. ie.. more fine grain.

6. The basic exposure tools at the start have been moved around and an additional "Whites" slider has been added. Contrast by default is set to zero and there seems to be numerous other sliders for the "tone" and other options. Can't tell how useful they are until I get a working and fairly accurate LCD.. hopefully very soon! Will need to check Kelby and co and see what they recommend for a work flow with LR4.

7. Sharpness - RAW files don;t seem to need as much sharpening. I think that might be with the way LR4 seems to be working with the RAW files or I'm just seeing things.

I'll post some pics when I can...but definitely check out LR4 beta.. Itd be good to know from you if there has been an improvement with it or not.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Jan 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote