Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:56 PM   #21

Looks like the Oly adapter for the 4/3 to m4/3 will be weather-sealed, so the you won't lose any weathersealing when using the appropriate 4/3 lens with the new weather-sealed OM-D series.

And there are reports that Sony wants to buy 20-30% of Oly.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:51 PM   #22

Hey Steve

Yeah I've seen the rumours about the new adapter and its good news but the instant FUD about it being able to provide PDAF has been annoying.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Not sure how much of a step forward a Samsung senor would be - from all accounts their sensors were always second best compared to Sony's/ Canon. I think the really interesting bit there was Samsung offering Oly a Square sensor. It could well be that the OM-D gets Pana's latest GH2/GH3 sensor but I'd like to see what Oly could do with that new Canon sensor. What surprised me is that its basically FT just 0.5mm and 0.7mm bigger and whats the likely hood that all FT lenses can easily cover that.
I had a look at that and decided that in 4/3rds sizes Samsung (as we see it on their cameras) would be a step back. T
hat is unless there are some gigantic leaps forward in its performance

The lenses would cover Canons new 4x3 sensor, I've said before that 20x15 still seems reasonably safe.
That said you wouldnt have to use all of the sensor just pick up the pins that cover 17.3x13.

I think the most likely bet is Panasonics 16.6Mp sensor though, the base ISO of 200ISO is a bit of a give-away.
The HDR thing might be like Sony's multi image thing processed from jpeg

Last edited by Rriley; Jan 26, 2012 at 2:07 AM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:08 AM   #24

The rumors seem to be shift now toward a possible new senor from Sony as the one for the new Oly. This is apparently based on the fact that reports are surfacing that the video on the new Oly is better than the Panasonic GH2, plus the reports that Sony wants to invest enough to own 20-30% of Oly.

FYI -also, the professional video maker Astrodesign, plus Kenko-Tokina, and Tamron companies, have all just joined the Micro Four-thirds group.

(Astrodesign apparently does specialized high resolution video cameras for medical and business uses, it does not appear to be aimed at the consumer.)
http://www.astrodesign.co.jp/english...p-4414_am-4412

Last edited by Steven R; Jan 26, 2012 at 8:13 AM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:18 AM   #25

GH2 video was not at optimum from the factory anyway
that is why hacking it was popular
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:29 PM   #26

Yeah, Pana deliberately crippled the GH2's video output from the get go - I think they were trying to protect the new AGF100 at the time. The hack for the GH1 and then the GH2 clearly shows that the sensor and the camera itself is capable of producing some cracking footage.

Back to the new Canon sensor - I was more than amused by DPR's preview were they boldly stated that the new sensor was 16% larger than a FT and produced a diag showing FT, the new GX sensor and the APS-C sensor which when you check wasn;t to scale. I knocked up a scale diagram of the 3 sensors and its clear that the new Canon is basically a FT sensor, the difference in size is minute and the FT is really only smaller width wise compared to APS-C. Physically I'd say all FT lenses could easily cover that Canon Sensor FT sensor. The issue would be whether Canon would ever sell that sensor to Oly.

Steve, a Sony FT sensor could be a cracker esp if its similar to the one in use D7000/ NEx7 etc.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:09 PM   #27

no 16% is right IF you calculate by area, 261.8/224.9
but the way thats worked out is always a distortion because you are working in areas the results are squared.
The way you worked it out was linear so 7.9%

If you looked at it from the point of view like we are about 2 stops from FF,
Canons 4x3 is 0.22 stops away from us. A 1/3 stop increments we dont even have control fine enough to be able to cover the difference,
unlike Canon APSC which is 0.56 stops away from us.

I think they would sell it, that stuff goes on all the time in camera parts

Last edited by Rriley; Jan 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:32 PM   #28

Some more tidbits on the new cam - posted on 43rumours

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-next-sma...is-e/#comments

From the new pic.. its interesting to see that the OM-D is also an E-XXX series cam which seems a wee bit strange. The side of the body looks like its an EPX and the prism looks similar to the one on the E30. Also these images look as if theyre from a product release .. so is this some form of "gorilla marketing" by Oly?

All of these leaks and the crazy amount of hype by some really reminds me of the build up to the E-5 where there was quite a few fancilful version of the cam supposedly floating around for testing. My own thoughts are that the new sensor is a Panasonic one, if its from Sony or Canon, etc I'd be really surprised. The other fancy specs being floated about is all hot air until the new cams announced or theres a major leak stating the actual specs between now and next Wednesday.

Harj
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
My own thoughts are that the new sensor is a Panasonic one, if its from Sony or Canon, etc I'd be really surprised.

Harj
There's a guy from Belgium who says it's manufactured by Toshiba. See the end of this message:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=40458489

That will surprise us for sure.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:25 PM   #30

Toshiba used to fab for Fuji,then Fuji bought a fab plant from Sony
the thing went pretty badly for them so they sold it back to Sony
now the BSI equipped Fuji P&S have Toshiba sensors i them

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot....n-tsvs-in.html
http://image-sensors-world.blogspot....i-roadmap.html

Last edited by Rriley; Jan 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM.