Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:30 AM   #31

The latest info indicates that the name will be EM-5.

The built-in viewfinder specs appear to be the same specs as the VF-2. And the sensor will be the 16GB Panasonic. Oly apparently changed the surrounding circuitry and are using the new Oly TruPic VI processing engine. Oly will claim that the auto-focusing is the fastest of any interchangeable lens camera, including dslr.

Last edited by Steven R; Feb 1, 2012 at 7:34 AM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:49 AM   #32

Sounds like a lot of backing off of the "revolutionary" camera they originally promised. Most folks seem to feel that the VF-2 is merely OK.

I think it's important to remember that it takes some time to move a camera from design concept to production - this camera has been in the works for a while.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:50 AM   #33

nah, VF-2 is an epoch making VF
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:58 AM   #34

Most folks seem to feel that the VF-2 is merely OK

This is my feelings toward the VF-2. While I use it always and it is good, I don't get goose-bumps because of it. When I put the E-3 to my eye is when I realize just how much better the E-3 is, compared to the VF-2.

But then if the EVF were built-in (for the E-P series cameras) I would be much more appreciative if it. I am thinking the OM-D version, even if spec'd exact to the VF-2, is going to be thought of as an improvement over the accessory type viewfinder, whether it is or not.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:03 AM   #35

Quote:
The latest info indicates that the name will be EM-5

Too much labeling IMO... Olympus OM-D EM-5, too much, if it will all be on the camera.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Feb 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:04 AM   #36

maybe the body is longer than we thought
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Most folks seem to feel that the VF-2 is merely OK

This is my feelings toward the VF-2. While I use it always and it is good, I don't get goose-bumps because of it. When I put the E-3 to my eye is when I realize just how much better the E-3 is, compared to the VF-2.

But then if the EVF were built-in (for the E-P series cameras) I would be much more appreciative if it. I am thinking the OM-D version, even if spec'd exact to the VF-2, is going to be thought of as an improvement over the accessory type viewfinder, whether it is or not.
The latest word is that is the same specs as the VF-2 but with new “tweaks”

Also, it apparently will be the first m4/3 with an available Oly external battery grip.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:54 AM   #38

Hey guys

Not surprised if the sensor turns out to be from Panasonic but I'm am disappointed that the EVF may just be the VF-2 as the viral marketing seemed to state it was "revolutionary".. Oh well .. I'm hoping the crazy the ideas that some ppl have been throwing about now stops.

I'm hoping that on 8th Feb.. Oly gives us some real news on the E-5's replacement.

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:58 AM   #39

I would imagine it's going to be VF-2 level resolution, which makes it pretty darn easy to do a lot of things, including manually focus, with better processing speed than you have on the E-P3, which was better than any Pen before it. Shot to shot with the E-P3, the VF-2 screen "speed" is improved over using the VF-2 with earlier Pens. I would imagine the new body takes it up another notch with the latest processing updates.

Other than the E1, E3 or E5, the VF-2 is better than any Olympus DSLR finder ever was. For manual focusing ease, the VF-2 is better than ANY Olympus DSLR optical finder.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:58 AM   #40

well Ogawa himself described the EVF as 'epoch making'
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=40102376