Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:29 PM   #51

Default What we don't appreciate from the photos

is how tiny a camera it is, if this web site is to be believed. See the attached photo in the 2nd post:

http://translate.google.com/translat...2585%2Fpage108

Na Zdrowie!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Bob: apparently the grip buttons are programmable.

1. The two extra Fn buttons on the horizontal battery grip can be set for different functions other than the one on you have on the camera. The battery grip uses the same kind of battery of the E-M5. Ita new battery with 1220 mA! The grip can connect to an AC adapter.
I'm a little suprised the new battery isn't even more powerful than that. The BLS-1 for the Pen is rated at 1150 mA, so we're talking about a 5% or so gain. I wonder what the real-world gain of the new battery will be?

It is nice to see they seem to have retained the lesson of the E1 and did not introduce a special battery for the grip.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:04 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
is how tiny a camera it is, if this web site is to be believed. See the attached photo in the 2nd post:

http://translate.google.com/translat...2585%2Fpage108

Na Zdrowie!

Ted
Just from the image of the body/lens/flash system I definitely see a Pen-sized body from the top of the LCD down. The gain is obviously above the LCD where they've added the DSLR top deck, and the grip if you add that.

Probably not far from the size of the E620, with or without the grip, but better ergonomically than an E620+grip because Olympus left many of the controls off the E620's grip.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:19 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Just from the image of the body/lens/flash system I definitely see a Pen-sized body from the top of the LCD down. The gain is obviously above the LCD where they've added the DSLR top deck, and the grip if you add that.

Probably not far from the size of the E620, with or without the grip, but better ergonomically than an E620+grip because Olympus left many of the controls off the E620's grip.
Thanks. I haven't actually held one of the Pens (the camera store chain that supported pros here is closing stores, which is odd considering how many pros there are in the DC area). So I don't really have a feel for their size (or the E-6XX). From what I can tell I don't have many lenses that would be comfortable to use on a small body like that.

Which I suppose is why there aren't any fast 43 zooms. Since mirrorless seems to spell the end of DSLRs except for maybe a couple of high end pro cameras, I sure hope there's an E7 or at least an E5 available when my E5 wears out. I'm not really opposed to mirrorless per se, just opposed to being limited to a tiny body on a heavy fast lens. On most of my glass the mirrorless cameras would be like an expensive rear lens cap...

Ted
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:43 PM   #55

This year, supposedly, Panasonic's going to be introducing both a 12-35mm f2.8 and a 35-100mm f2.8. Between those and the Olympus 12mm f2, 45mm f1.8 (I already have those two), and the new 75mm f1.8 M. Zuiko, things are looking better and better on the fast glass front. I was using the 50-200 SWD for a while on the E620 and definitely would not have wanted anything much bigger than that on an E620-sized body.

Fortunately, all the micro glass is TINY. Take a look at that system picture again, paying attention as to how big the 75-300 M. Zuiko is compared to all those other lenses, then see below the size of the 75-300 M. Zuiko and the Micro 40-150 compared to just the 50-200 SWD..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:05 PM   #56

From the real photos I've seen the E-M5 will be very close to the same footprint as the P3 with the hump adding to overall height but the main body looks to me to be very much the same size as the P3.

Ted, maybe this will give you another perspective of size differences

E-3 14-54, E-300 14-45, E-P3 14-42

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Feb 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:55 PM   #57

Thanks, Greg and Bob. That does indeed give me an idea about how small it is, even if you didn't phrase it in Polish.

PS: Bob, I gather the top of that entertainment center never has any stuff on it. Right?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:45 PM   #58

uuuuuhhh, kinda right some of the time. A couple battery chargers, some rechargeable AAA AA BLM BLS in containers including tic-tac boxes, a couple meaningful baseballs, autographed by my state teams I coached 25+ years ago, there is a copy of the current city publication I earned inside cover photograph, and the P3 has found its lodging rest there.

...............otherwise, clean as a whistle and ready for studio work all the time!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Feb 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:19 PM   #59

That never happens to any of the horizontal surfaces in our house...
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:29 AM   #60

The full specs have been posted now on 43rumors.com Looks good so far.

Interesting, specs sound nice. New battery is the BLN-1. No built-in flash, but the external flash unit FL-FM2 comes standard packed in the box with the body.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote