Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:35 PM   #1

Default New Oly pro due next month ?

According to 43rumours... we're going to be seeing a new Oly Pro cam in early feb...

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-super-ol...ucts/#comments

No idea what it is but if its got a new sensor and can use all of the existing 43 lenses, improved AF then I'd say great news. I'm hoping its got a new sensor as they really can't carry on using the same 12MP Pana chip.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:49 PM   #2

......I'm looking forward to this camera with more interest than of any so far. Even though I have an EP-3, if the new camera matches up with the rumors that it will handle both FT and mFT lenses (somehow) and a new sensor, it will have a built-in hybrid EVF AND likely will be physically larger than the P3, well, I just maybe won't be able to wait once availability stages out by fall season.

This camera is going to be expensive (I suspect) so some rationale will need to be mustered.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:00 PM   #3

Harj,

Maybe that is promised camera to build a "beautiful system" where we can use our 4/3 lens.
Don't forget that Olympus already did the announcement last December of the new weather resistant 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 motor zoom.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12/14/olympus1250EZ

The press release state the following:

Olympus’ First Micro Four Thirds Lens with an Electronic Zoom is Quiet, Versatile and Designed to Deliver a Range of Images in a Compact, Dust- and Splashproof Body

Thank you for the info.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:36 AM   #4

This is absolutely fascinating. I keep thinking that a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder like the Fuji X100 would be ideal (and might cause me to be interested in a purchase), but I don't think they can do that in a µ43 body. Still, it will be interesting to see if Oly has retained its ability to be innovative.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:39 PM   #5

One of the other rumours or quotes that Ive seen flying around was the suggestion of a larger sensor .. bigger than the current FT size sensors being used, and that came after an interview with someone at Oly Japan's Camera division. Part of that inteview (if I can find) it suggests that theres going to be two cameras from Oly soon , one thats a regular MFT and the other they were being a bit coyed out. I think we've heard the larger sensor one before - SuperFT, and Pana's GH1/GH2 sensor fits that bill, so whether it (a larger sensor) pans out will be interesting and if it can use existing FT lenses that'd be great.

Now with regards to the body .. if they shaved just a couple of mm off the E3/E5 design that would drop it down to the same size as an E1 a small change but one that would get noticed.

Cheers

Harj
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:11 PM   #6

Per several sources, the rumors are the new offering may be reminiscent of the OM film cameras. I would love that. MY OM-2 was the best film camera I ever owned.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:34 PM   #7

Ok.. managed to find a link to some of those tidbits of news regards what Oly's been up to:

1. http://www.43rumors.com/hot-olympus-...er-technology/

Olympus Manager Mr. Ogawa. has been reviewed by Impressjapan

"1) Olympus is currently developing a new series of Micro Four Thirds cameras.
2) Olympus is developing a brand new concept of cameras
3) Camera will empathize a new viewfinder technology
4) Olympus is developing an E-5 successor."

2) http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-pate...-alike-camera/

I've personally thought that Oly with its glass (SHG/HG) quality should have gone and produced something along a Leica S2 ..not sure about a Hassy design but its good that they're thinking outside of MFT and even if that meant a new set of lenses.

For me the best bit was that Oly is actively working on a E5MK2 or E7, so thats definitely good news.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:44 PM   #8

Yes, from what I have gathered, this new micro-mount camera that's going to be unwrapped in February will not be a "Pen". Maybe it'll use some sort of hybrid AF system, which invites all kind of speculation as to how they'll do it, and how well the implementation is done.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:01 PM   #9

Canon announced their new G1X which interesting uses a sensor just a wee bit bigger than 4/3 this week:

"Like all the compact G cameras before it, it has a fixed lens, but no more tiny digicam sensor—the size of the sensor in the G1X is 14x18.7mm (Canon APS-C is 14.9x22.3mm—meaning the G1X sensor is nearly the same height but not as long. More, um, square). Looked at another way, it's just slightly larger than Micro 4/3, which is 13.5x18mm."

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...m-x-pro-1.html

Now how do you all feel if Oly used that Canon sourced sensor for their new cam? I'm waiting to see what the G1X's files are like, esp the RAW files to see what Canon can do with their sensor tech and basically what is a FT sensor.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:49 AM   #10

The upcoming OM influenced m4/3: Notice how Olympus emphasized the letters "O" & "M". The current Olympus teaser ad:
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote