Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:30 AM   #11

good morning Steven & Marcelo,

Thanks for the kind comments.

The red orchid is also my favorite was well.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:23 PM   #12

Hi Zig

sorry for the late reply .. the first shot is a cracker.. you've nailed the lighting spot on...

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Zig

sorry for the late reply .. the first shot is a cracker.. you've nailed the lighting spot on...

Cheers

Harj
Hi Harj,

Thanks Harj. Not nearly as good as the subjects you shoot, but I'll take what I can get in the dead of winter.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:21 PM   #14

Orchids are beautiful, and I couldn't think of a better non-macro lens to be shooting them with then the 12-60 Zuiko. Very nice images, Zig. Love your processing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:20 AM   #15

Orchids are my favorite flower to shoot and you did them justice, Zig - well done.

Over on the Nikon forum it looks like your Nikon gear is doing well for BIF.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:16 AM   #16

Hi Greg & Ted,

Thanks guys.

I've allowed myself to concentrate on working solely with the D7000 at the expense of the E-30. And, on those occasions when I pick up the E-30 and shoot
a few using the 12-60mm I kick myself in the butt for not using that combo more.

Having said that, I've come to the conclusion that the Oly set up is perfect for
landscapes, while for BIF, the nikon is the clear go to choice.

Now, all I have to do is figure out how I'm going drag all this stuff down to Florida in a few weeks.

BTW, I do miss the conversations with you and others on this site.

Zig

Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:25 PM   #17

Zig,
Agree with everyones great assessment of your shots. Curious how you got the black background on the red orchid
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Zig,
Agree with everyones great assessment of your shots. Curious how you got the black background on the red orchid
Eric
Hi Eric,

Thanks.

As for your question, first off, I use Photoshop CS5. If you're familiar with CS5, you'll know there are a number of tools to achieve this effect. I've been experimenting with many of these and in this particular instance, the background was fairly uniform and the red orchids' edges were very well defined. I tried using the quick selection brush to isolate the entire orchid. Then I used the dropper tool to choose black, then used the bucket tool to dump the bucket of black onto the rest of the image.

It was actually pretty fast and straightforward. I've also learned that there is a good reason for being able to choose from a variety of tools to reach the same effect. If you take a look at the last image I posted, you'll notice that there are a lot of petals with highly uneven edges. Using the quick selection tool was not
quick or easy. I ended up using a brush to literally paint around the entire bloom. Took a long time. But hey, I'm learning. So, that's a good thing.