Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2012, 8:26 AM   #11

sometimes a company has to do painful things. Lots of users felt the same way in 1987 when Canon switched from FD to EF lens mount. They knew it would cause quite a dust-up among it's current user base but believed it was an essential change long term. I think long term, it does make more sense to concentrate on m4/3. Doesn't mean it doesn't stink for a number of people. But, just as with Canon's EF mount I think it's the right direction for Oly.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:48 AM   #12

Quote:
....sometimes a company has to do painful things
I was involved in a couple of 'painful experiences', not easy to do but many times necessary.

The Olympus situation reminds me of Neil Sadaka's 'Breaking Up is Hard to Do', the lyrics seem to fit ==> http://tinyurl.com/2j6h7k

I believe Olympus m4/3 will be ok in the end too John and I believe FT lenses usage can benefit of m43, someday.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Feb 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:28 AM   #13

More good news - DPR just did a quick follow-up based on some hands-on work that wasn't just standing at a display booth. The comments were very positive.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:04 PM   #14

Hi Guys

If Oly did finally kill off FT, I'm not too sure whether they could get away with dumping they're 2nd system camera without taking a major hit with its credibility. Its possible that they could do it and get away with it but I think there would be a lot of people like Zig and many others that had invested a large amount of cash who would not trust them again. That ontop of the many E1 users (pro and semi pro) that simply switched brands while waiting for the E3 to arrive. They're dumping of the EXX/XXX series cam's and telling the existing user base to go M43 or get an E5 was just plain stupid... it just forced many happy users to simply switch brands rather than try and keep them on board.

I'm waiting to see what the EM5 is like in the hand.. I had a play with the GX1 but cant get my head around not having an inbuilt VF... I simply cant use a cam held out arms length, so I'm definitely looking to see what its like. Has anyone compared the VF2 to say the Sony 77's EVF ? I had a wee play with the 77 on the weekend and have to say I was a wee bit impressed by the EVF in the cam. Regards lenses.. I think right now theres not going to be "One beautiful system" and for the M43 cam's if you want the best performance, its going to mean new glass. What I've always liked about Ft wasthe lens line up .. nice and simple but thats not been the case with the m43 range. Right now theres way to many similar FL lenses for M43, and with most of them being pretty so-so even compared to the regular standard grade FT lenses... and thats not good place to be if you had an EXX/XXX with SD/HG lenses and then having to switch, although the new fast primes do look good and the Noktons look tasty indeed!

Like Ted, I'd really like to see an E-7, shave 1-2mm all over the E-3/5 body just to bring the size down a wee bit and fit an OVF thats bigger than the current viewfinder or use an EVF like the one in A77 (had a wee play with one on the weekend and was very impressed by the EVF), a new sensor (hopefully there'd be an update to the GX1's), a faster and more accurate AF and I'd snap one up.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Feb 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:55 PM   #15

I believe that the odds are favorable that there will be a successor to the E-5. Oly has specifically said that the E-M5 is not a professional camera, and that it does not have the 150K shutter durability like the E-5. It would be nice if they could have the E-5 successor out within a year but who knows. I would think that the E-M5 is going to provide some nice new cash flow to Oly, maybe some of that cash can go to the E-5 successor development.

Also, in the latest interview with Mr Terada of Olympus, he was quoted:
“We already have started studying a successor of Olympus E-5.”
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
for the M43 cam's if you want the best performance, its going to mean new glass.
If they really want pros and serious amateurs to go to µ43 they really will need new glass. I believe we'll see a µ43 version of the 14-35 and 35-100 but at a constant f/2.8 instead of f/2. This will allow theose lenses to be smaller. Also, it's my personal opinion that Oly produced those two at f/2 because they knew the 43 sensor needed a stop more speed to compete. Since the newer 43 sensors are getting good high ISO we don't need the f/2 speed as much.

I doubt, though, that I personally will switch my SHG glass. That would just be too expensive for the amount and purposes I use my camera. But would I prefer a lighter kit? Sure.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:17 AM   #17

if it weren't for telecentric properties, lenses over 25mm shouldnt be much different in size. They might actually be better off using 4/3rds HG and SHG for some of their lenses.

The 'transformer' concept of OMD having a grip seems intent on that sort of purpose.

I actually think a 4/3rds body with an mFT register and mount is the way to go.
I know it sounds weird but, a modification of an SLR using an SLT mirror can give full the same SLR PDAF with time liveview, hence run an EVF, and yet be micro mount

ditch SG lenses as they nearly match mFT anyway, and b/se it can use both formats of lenses see how the suite grows

Last edited by Rriley; Feb 27, 2012 at 7:20 AM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:43 AM   #18

Thanks for that lens list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
if it weren't for telecentric properties, lenses over 25mm shouldnt be much different in size.
Are you saying an f/2.8 tele wouldn't be much different in size than an f/2 at the same FL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
The 'transformer' concept of OMD having a grip seems intent on that sort of purpose.

I actually think a 4/3rds body with an mFT register and mount is the way to go. I know it sounds weird but, a modification of an SLR using an SLT mirror can give full the same SLR PDAF with time liveview, hence run an EVF, and yet be micro mount.
That is an interesting concept - that may well be what they're thinking.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Thanks for that lens list.
welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski
Are you saying an f/2.8 tele wouldn't be much different in size than an f/2 at the same FL?
no, that either an mFT tele, of 4/3rds tele, ought be around the same size.
Telecentrics affects wide to normal lenses more as tele lenses are naturally telecentric anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski
That is an interesting concept - that may well be what they're thinking.
Ted
if they cant make CDAF work fast enough on mFT, then they have to make some return to phasing.
I think its a logical step that covers several important bases all at once.

• being able to use mFT and 4/3rds lenses equally quickly it becomes the 'Hybrid'
  • It sells to both empires, as high end mFT or low end (against Ex) 4/3rds
  • Provides a respectable upgrade for 4/3rds (there has been talk of revisiting 4/3rds)
  • Provides a competitor to Sony's similar answer, the A series SLT
  • It uses, pretty much a parts set picked from both mFT and SLRs

Last edited by Rriley; Feb 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote