Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:44 AM   #1

Default Need your help (OT)

Some of you know that I'm involved with a parrot rescue aviary. We just produced a video with the intent to educate people about parrots, convince them to stop buying them, and ultimately stop the illegal parrot trade.

I know that many of you are sympathetic to this kind of endeavor and I would REALLY appreciate it if you would watch this short video and if you are so moved, please spread it around as much as you can. I can promise you that if you ever personally saw one of the neurotic featherless birds you wouldn't hesitate.

Please.

Ted

http://www.youtube.com/kunzangpalyul.../0/Y-W97O6O9vA
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:13 PM   #2

G'day Ted

Had a brief look at the video - my internet download made it very jumpy and broken - but I get the idea & thanks

Many of the parrots I saw seemed to be Australian cockatoos & galahs [could be wrong if there are similar birds elsewhere]. Birds are meant to fly in open spaces, so the fact that people want to put them into [small] cages does not excite me

Here in Oz we regularly see/hear of arrests by Australian Customs or the Federal Police of someone whose trying to smuggle birds & reptiles out of the country - they anethetise the animal, stuff it into a cardboard tube and post it overseas. The authorities reckon that 75% die in transit

On the other side of the fence, we in Oz do not want any of our local mad-buggers illegally importing stuff from northern hemisphere countries and when the person is tired of it &/or it's inconvenient to keep, they release it into the wild, again causing havoc with our wildlife

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:31 PM   #3

Good info.

(And down here in Florida we are really sensitive about people who should never buy certain animals, then getting tired of them and releasing them into the wild. Our warm climate makes it easy for many to adapt, and often they will crowd out the native species. Can you believe that we now have a problem with Burmese pythons in the Everglades? When they got big, the owners just dumped them out, and now we have them living in the wild. Bad news all around.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Ted

Had a brief look at the video - my internet download made it very jumpy and broken - but I get the idea & thanks
You did indeed get the idea of the video. A few of our rescued birds are native to Australia but I believe your law enforcement has gone a long way towards shutting that export down. And we do have native populations of parrots in the US from birds that were set free, in Texas and other locations but most notably in San Francisco. But the big macaws you see in that video came from Brazil, stuffed in PVC pipes.

As with illegal drugs, the best way to shut the import trade down is to eliminate the demand rather than simply concentrating on the supply.

Ted
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Good info.

(And down here in Florida we are really sensitive about people who should never buy certain animals, then getting tired of them and releasing them into the wild. Our warm climate makes it easy for many to adapt, and often they will crowd out the native species. Can you believe that we now have a problem with Burmese pythons in the Everglades? When they got big, the owners just dumped them out, and now we have them living in the wild. Bad news all around.)
The python problem makes the news around the country - I think news editors are inclined to help combat the problem.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:19 PM   #6

Very interesting video, I just posted it in my facebook page.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:40 PM   #7

I pasted it up on a couple of forums I'm part of, another photograpy and my football/soccer one.

It's not nice (English understatement) I just wish there was an easy way to stop the pain.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:49 PM   #8

Thank you all!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:53 PM   #9

I learn also a little about Jetsunma.

http://www.tara.org/jetsunma-ahkon-lhamo/biography/
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:19 PM   #10

An extraordinary woman.