Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
Steve are you really thinking Marcello's wife has a couple of pans that have a bulb effect to inward?
She has some pans but I am a hard nut to crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Personally I would have given up on the second try. I just can not live with the possible oil issue. The whole reason for the camera is to capture moment. And to have them spotted by a defect would tick me off.

But I have to agree the line would have been a lemon law issue. And nikon should do a recall to replace the mirror box.
Yes I was very upset with the issue buy was my fault to buy a refurbished camera, and are those cameras returned for the oil or AF issues.

Quote:
Indeed Nikon should do that but since Nikon doesn't make things themselves, it isn't that easy for a company that does it this way.... For the law that is simple but not for Nikon. I just hope Marcelo his body is now fine and will keep doing it's job without any flaws.
The camera is just perfect and I'm really confident it will perform according with my expectations.

Last edited by MarceloLI; Feb 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:43 PM   #22

Hi Marcelo,

Welcome to the dark side. Its the sure cure for an over weight wallet

We all blame Zig for disposing of perfectly good equipment for the sake of trying to keep up. It didn't work for me. His stuff still smokes anything I seem to muster.

What ever the equipment, try to wear it out. Good luck with the new toys.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:50 PM   #23

I would not said it is completely resolved, some new users here and other forums still report the issue. It has gotten better, but still not resolved.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:42 PM   #24

Quote:
I want wish you a lot of success with your new gear Marcelo.
Sometimes there are coming new things where you have need of having it because it's in mind better, the D7000 is in this such an item.
May I ask for now and then to compare the D7000 against the E-5?
I believe in terms of lens quality Nikon can't tip to Olympus.
So it makes me curious to learn from someone that owns both and where I'm sure from that there will be a honest compare .

Again a lot of success with your D7000 and break a leg when using it
Pardon me if I take a crack at this, lenswise.

The Zuikos are great, price level to price level. They have such a consistancy, no clunkers across the whole line. I have alot of respect for those lenses.

Nikon have some nice glass too. The good one cost like hell. I shoot full frame, and I'll give a bit of a comparison, lens for lens.

70-200 f2.8 VRII vs. 35-100 f2. Good lord, both are great. I'd say a tie. Oly is sweet with resolution, and there is no display of any aberations at all. The 70-200 is so quick & silent to focus. Both are super nice.

14-24 f2.8 vs. 7-14 f4. I hope no one here takes this personal. The 7-14 is a great lens. The 14-24 is everything the zuiko is plus faster, plus a little bit better. Its also heavier and more expensive.

50-200 f2.8-3.5 vs. ????? - I suppose the 200-400 f4? I don't have the Nikkor, but this is one place that just cannot compare. The 50-200 is so nice in handling, compact, great image, 4x and all. The 200-400 is good, but is a tank of a lens that belongs on a tripod.

300 f4 vs ???? - Boy should Olympus have a lens like this in their line. I'm talking a 600mm reach, 840mm with a 1.4 converter. It would have made the system a wildlife camera like no other system could offer. The Nikkor is sharp, lightning fast to focus, light and compact. Its a great hike around wildlife lens.

50 f2 vs the 105 f2.8 VR Nikkor - The 50 f2 is optically better, the 105 is better at all focus operations. The 50 f2 would drive me nuts with hunting in non-macro situations. I'm not sneezing at the Nikkor's abilities, but the 50 f2 is a special lens optically.

300 f2.8 "Big Tuna" Zuiko vs. 600 f4 VR Nikkor. I've had the honor of playing with both. The super tele is my most used lens, and they dent the pocketbook big time, the Nikkor much more so. The reach advantage goes to the Zuiko with the EC-20 supplying a 2 degree field of view and 1200mm EFL. The lens is as good as anything as far as optics are concerned. It is near flawless. The 600 VR with a 1.4 converter reaches to 850mm, and I have the 1.7 converter for an even 1000mm. Its faster and quieter to focus, but the minimum focus is double the Zuiko, which makes a big difference with little birds. There is CA with the Nikkor that I've never experienced with the Zuiko. The Nikkor belongs on a gimbal head on a steady tripod. I won't even pretend to want to shoot it hand held, while the Zuiko made such a stunt at least possible. I'll give the edge to the big tuna over all.

I'm not saying this is a fair comparison, but I'll touch on the D3s body ($5k) vs the E-5 at about a third the price. When you place a great lens on the Oly in good light, the side by side results do compare well. The E-5 is a nice camera.

The continious autofocus on the D3s eats the E-5 alive. There is no comparison. The high ISO abilities of the big sensor make a big difference when light is low, and the DR allows for more headroom when light gets harsh. The autofocus is what made me switch, the rest were a plus. As a system, its big, heavy, and expensive. I doubled my investment over a very nice Olympus kit. I'm not sorry, but there are times I miss the Oly kit too.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
The continious autofocus on the D3s eats the E-5 alive. There is no comparison. The high ISO abilities of the big sensor make a big difference when light is low, and the DR allows for more headroom when light gets harsh. The autofocus is what made me switch, the rest were a plus. As a system, its big, heavy, and expensive. I doubled my investment over a very nice Olympus kit. I'm not sorry, but there are times I miss the Oly kit too.
Hi, northern Greg - good to hear from you. Thanks for that comparison. I had always thought that for folks like you and Zig shooting motion, Nikon is the gear you should use primarily because of the autofocus.

One friend of mine is one of the best news photographers in the world. His business card says "Mannie Garcia - War Photographer" and that's what he's done, as a freelance for AP, most of his professional career. You've seen his work even if you don't know you have, and his photo of Obama was stolen and turned into a campaign poster which you definitely have seen. (Images of Mannie and the photo/poster below.) He's amazing - we sometimes shoot side by side and I just don't see what he sees.

He shoots Nikon. No one should ever apologize for using the gear that does what you need it to do.

Ted
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:24 PM   #26

Default some comments by a bad influence

Quote:
Pardon me if I take a crack at this, lenswise.

The Zuikos are great, price level to price level. They have such a consistancy, no clunkers across the whole line. I have alot of respect for those lenses.

50-200 f2.8-3.5 vs. ????? - I suppose the 200-400 f4? I don't have the Nikkor, but this is one place that just cannot compare. The 50-200 is so nice in handling, compact, great image, 4x and all. The 200-400 is good, but is a tank of a lens that belongs on a tripod.

300 f4 vs ???? - Boy should Olympus have a lens like this in their line. I'm talking a 600mm reach, 840mm with a 1.4 converter. It would have made the system a wildlife camera like no other system could offer. The Nikkor is sharp, lightning fast to focus, light and compact. Its a great hike around wildlife lens.

50 f2 vs the 105 f2.8 VR Nikkor - The 50 f2 is optically better, the 105 is better at all focus operations. The 50 f2 would drive me nuts with hunting in non-macro situations. I'm not sneezing at the Nikkor's abilities, but the 50 f2 is a special lens optically.

300 f2.8 "Big Tuna" Zuiko vs. 600 f4 VR Nikkor. I've had the honor of playing with both. The super tele is my most used lens, and they dent the pocketbook big time, the Nikkor much more so. The reach advantage goes to the Zuiko with the EC-20 supplying a 2 degree field of view and 1200mm EFL. The lens is as good as anything as far as optics are concerned. It is near flawless. The 600 VR with a 1.4 converter reaches to 850mm, and I have the 1.7 converter for an even 1000mm. Its faster and quieter to focus, but the minimum focus is double the Zuiko, which makes a big difference with little birds. There is CA with the Nikkor that I've never experienced with the Zuiko. The Nikkor belongs on a gimbal head on a steady tripod. I won't even pretend to want to shoot it hand held, while the Zuiko made such a stunt at least possible. I'll give the edge to the big tuna over all.

Greg has done a very accurate and detailed assessment of the critical differences of the Olympus 43 dslr and the Nikon dslr. I can't say that I have
personally tested and used all the glass that Greg has but I have experience with the bodies that utilize a cropped sensor. And I totally agree that the AF system of the Nikon digital cameras is on a another level than the Olympus.

It's just that, pure and simple. If your shooting doesn't involve fast action or erratic movement, the Olympus camera makes a compelling choice largely because of the wonderful glass that Olympus delivers.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:19 PM   #27

Default Greg

Greg,

I'm lucky to have the chance to keep my Olympus gear and use Nikon as well.

Your review is very interesting and informative... today I went to Adorama and the have in display the Nikkor 200-400mm, it is a BIG lens..!!

Thank you for the best wishes.

Marcelo

Quote:
Hi Marcelo,

Welcome to the dark side. Its the sure cure for an over weight wallet

We all blame Zig for disposing of perfectly good equipment for the sake of trying to keep up. It didn't work for me. His stuff still smokes anything I seem to muster.

What ever the equipment, try to wear it out. Good luck with the new toys.

Last edited by MarceloLI; Mar 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote