Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1

Default Some of my travels!

Well this is my first post on this forum although I am active at several other Olympus forums, somehow I had neglected to be a part of this. Steven R a Florida friend on the other forum suggested I post some of my travel photos over here as he thought they may be appreciated!

I live and work in Alaska in the summer and now just recently purchased a 5th wheel travel trailer and spend my winters traveling in the Lower 48.

Most recently I spent a week in Zions National Park and just yesterday moved to the Moab area, near Arches National Park and Canyonlands I will be exploring them over the next few days. I have been to Moab and the area many times, in my previous life I lived in Salt Lake City and worked for a commercial printing company.

So I was trained years ago in photography at Antonelli School of Photography and Philadelphia College of Art in Graphic Design, hence my career in the commercial printing business.

I have shot all kinds of cameras and chose Olympus because of the 4/3 sensor and reduced lens size and because I always felt Olympus made some of the finest optics...good glass yields great pictures.

So here is a recap in pics of some of my better shots from Zions.

All taken with the Oly E-30 and Oly glass - most the 9-18 and the 14-54 and the 50-200 with both EC's

First a picture of my house taken in Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada, a beautiful place...

Now on to Zions...

This is a 9 shot panorama of Zion Canyon from the top overlook, wonderful hike and worth every step, even at the fear of falling to my death several times!

OK That's enough for my first post....

Comments and Critique are always welcomed and encouraged...

Enjoy,

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

SmugMug Pics - Click Here
Personal Website - Click Here
Wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:05 AM   #2

Hi Jim: Glad to see you here. You have had some outstanding shots posted in other forums over the years. Your E-30 has really served you well. Thanks for posting these.

There are a lot of good guys here (even Ted and Scouse), and I know they will enjoy seeing some of your great travel shots.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:19 AM   #3

Excellent images, Jim! Zion is one of the top places on my bucket list. You've only moved it up the list. Welcome to Steve's.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:04 AM   #4

Welcome, Jim. I've enjoyed your posts at fourthirdsphoto. Just when we thought Steven wasn't good for much, we're proven wrong.

(Teasing is part of the culture here. Attacks never are.)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Zion is one of the top places on my bucket list.
I would put Bryce and Monument Valley a small tick higher, but Zion is beautiful and has a lot more area to explore on your own than the other two. Every day when I wake up on the east coast, I miss the southwest.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Welcome, Jim. I've enjoyed your posts at fourthirdsphoto. Just when we thought Steven wasn't good for much, we're proven wrong.

(Teasing is part of the culture here. Attacks never are.)

Ted
LOL. Ted is right, I forgot to warn you that this group does a lot of teasing each other, and we never take ourselves too seriously.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:33 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum Jim!
That are excellent pictures you did post.
My favorites are picture 3 & 5.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:06 PM   #8

Beautiful shots and well composed of one of my favourite travel areas. Valley of Fire is probably my favourite camp spot. It's changed a bit over the 35 some years I've been visiting but still a wonderful place to walk among the rocks, find petroglyphs (although we've dumbed that down to 'pictographs' now..???) that aren't listed and water 'tanks' in the sandstone.

Zion brings back memories, we took my mum and dad there many years ago in an old borrowed Winabago when we did a search for the places in southern Utah for the Buch Cassidy movie scene settings.

Now look what you did, got an old man stirred up. We're loosely planning a SW trip for next winter. Got any Monument Valley pics...huh!?

Welcome aboard!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:57 PM   #9

Those are very nice pictures, the last one is my favorite.

Regards.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:21 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the kind words...I have been lucky to be able to see some of the most photogenic spots in the world, right here in the good old Southwestern US!

Enjoy,

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

SmugMug Pics - Click Here
Personal Website - Click Here
Wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote