Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Lordje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Harelbeke, Belgium
Posts: 760
Default Another kind of bird

There is photo challenge going in on Belgium and the price is an E-EP3 double zoom kit with bag.
The subject for the photo was children and I did check my photo stock and posted this one as entry of the challenge.
But I would also like to ask what everyones opinion here is of it.

__________________
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
folob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 855
Default

I like this shot

However, the background is distracting .... any way to blur it?
__________________
Portfolio: http://agilephotography.deviantart.com/

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

What a lovely child and a great shot for a family album.

For a competition, agree with Folob about the background. Also, you might try to lighten the shadows on the face a little bit and see how it compares. Also perhaps see how just it would look to lightly bump up the contrast just a little.

It's kinda hard for me to tell, as I'm just looking at it on a small laptop screen, so I'm not able to see all the subtle detail of the original. It is worth the work because that is a great prize being offered.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Camano Island, WA.
Posts: 2,328
Default

Nice photo of a pretty young lady.
I'm limited with my PP but thought I'd try it this way and get rid of a lot of "space". Give her a little more presence and light. Just a suggestion mind.

Just another idea but it may be over the top????
Attached Images
  
__________________
Ken.
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.

Last edited by Scouse; Mar 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Lordje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Harelbeke, Belgium
Posts: 760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
I like this shot
However, the background is distracting .... any way to blur it?
Thank you, blurring the background will be difficult I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
What a lovely child and a great shot for a family album.
For a competition, agree with Folob about the background. Also, you might try to lighten the shadows on the face a little bit and see how it compares. Also perhaps see how just it would look to lightly bump up the contrast just a little.
It's kinda hard for me to tell, as I'm just looking at it on a small laptop screen, so I'm not able to see all the subtle detail of the original. It is worth the work because that is a great prize being offered.
It's not my child but yes nice one for a family album.
I did try to lighten up a bit result below.
Thanks for your input Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Nice photo of a pretty young lady.
I'm limited with my PP but thought I'd try it this way and get rid of a lot of "space". Give her a little more presence and light. Just a suggestion mind.
Just another idea but it may be over the top????
Thank you Ken, problem is there may not be used a lot of special things, must be a clean photo. I did try to lighten up a bit.



A bit more lighten, did save underexposed -1, -3, -5 and overexposed +1, +3, +5 and then merged everythng together again.
Better?
__________________
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:47 PM.