Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:07 AM   #1

Default The E-3 and memory cards

I have a 8Gb CF card and on that one I can shoot 465 pictures.
Now I have a 32Gb card and I was expecting it would have max 465*4 = 1860 pictures on the card but the E-3 says 1165 pictures.

What could be wrong, has anyone an idea?

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
I have a 8Gb CF card and on that one I can shoot 465 pictures.
Now I have a 32Gb card and I was expecting it would have max 465*4 = 1860 pictures on the card but the E-3 says 1165 pictures.

What could be wrong, has anyone an idea?
Have you tried formatting the card in the camera? Personally, I use 4GB cards as I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket. I've had two incidents in the past that taught me that lesson.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Mar 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:47 AM   #3

Yes, get it out of the package direct in the camera and started formating itself. After I saw the number 1165 I did go to the menu and selected format again, but nothing did change.

I did then put the card in a cardreader and checked it on my laptop, free space is just no 30Gb.

Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:27 AM   #4

Hmmmmmmmm... try it in the E-500. Maybe the size is not compatible. But, if that were the case, you would think it would read the card AT ALL.
My Gallery

--
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:30 AM   #5

Quote:
I did then put the card in a cardreader and checked it on my laptop, free space is just no 30Gb.
The "number of pictures" is an estimate, and notoriously inaccurate particularly when the card is empty or nearly so. It tends to be more accurate as the card fills up. I understand that English is not your native language (you do it very well, though) and "free space is just no 30Gb" is confusing. Does it say 30GB, or not.

Ted

PS: Gary is correct that it's better to use a few smaller cards than one big one.
PPS: Jeeez - did I just say Gary is correct?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The "number of pictures" is an estimate, and notoriously inaccurate particularly when the card is empty or nearly so. It tends to be more accurate as the card fills up. I understand that English is not your native language (you do it very well, though) and "free space is just no 30Gb" is confusing. Does it say 30GB, or not.

Ted

PS: Gary is correct that it's better to use a few smaller cards than one big one.
This day will go down in history!!
My Gallery

--
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:53 AM   #7
Administrator

Camera settings make a difference in the number of estimated photos you can fit on a given card size, too. For example, with most camera models, using a higher ISO speed will result in fewer estimated files (because noise doesn't compress as well).

So, are you sure you're using the same camera settings when trying two different card sizes and looking at the number of estimated photos available on them?

The number of JPEG files you can store in a given amount of space is only an estimate, as file sizes will vary based on image content (amount of detail in the image, including the number of colors and more) and noise levels (as noise is treated as detail with JPEG compression algorithms and more noise often results in larger file sizes, depending on how aggressive the NR is).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:11 AM   #8

Thanks, Jim. That's good info.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

Ted

Hi Ted, my native language is Dutch. Sorry for the mistakes I make now and then.
The size is 29,8GB, just not 30Gb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Camera settings make a difference in the number of estimated photos you can fit on a given card size, too. For example, with most camera models, using a higher ISO speed will result in fewer estimated files (because noise doesn't compress as well).

So, are you sure you're using the same camera settings when trying two different card sizes and looking at the number of estimated photos available on them?

The number of JPEG files you can store in a given amount of space is only an estimate, as file sizes will vary based on image content (amount of detail in the image, including the number of colors and more) and noise levels (as noise is treated as detail with JPEG compression algorithms and more noise often results in larger file sizes, depending on how aggressive the NR is).
Thank you for this information Jim.
I will see of it change while using it.

Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi Ted, my native language is Dutch. Sorry for the mistakes I make now and then.
The size is 29,8GB, just not 30Gb.
No need to apologize - you do English very well and it's not an easy language to learn (to the extent it has rules it has a lot of exceptions to each rule). A lot of people who grew up speaking English don't speak it very well.

After formating any storage drive the capacity will go down a little. No "32GB" card will be store 32GB after formatting. 29.8GB seems OK.

Ted