Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:30 AM   #1

Default In the rain...

...just as colorful. Just as nasty.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:33 AM   #2

it's ironic, isn't it, that a bird with that really pretty iridescent blue plumage, can be such a PITA.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
it's ironic, isn't it, that a bird with that really pretty iridescent blue plumage, can be such a PITA.
Those were my EXACT thoughts when I posted this, Ted! Great minds...
My Gallery

--
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:00 AM   #4

There's a real love/hate relationship going on here. He does have presence though and you always catch him with good shots.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
There's a real love/hate relationship going on here. He does have presence though and you always catch him with good shots.
LOL. Gary has such a love hate relationship with that bird that I looked up some info on those starlings. Just think, they all came from just 100 birds that some idiot brought over to NY over 100 years ago, and now they are over 200 million.

"All of the 200 million European Starlings found in North America today are descendants of approximately 100 birds released in New York City's Central Park in the early 1890s by an industrialist who wanted to establish, in the U.S., all birds mentioned in the works of Shakespeare.
They compete aggressively for nesting sites and may evict the occupants of desired holes, including the woodpeckers that excavated them.
An individual bird can mimic up to 20 species, including Eastern Wood Pewee, Killdeer, and Meadowlark songs."
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
LOL. Gary has such a love hate relationship with that bird that I looked up some info on those starlings. Just think, they all came from just 100 birds that some idiot brought over to NY over 100 years ago, and now they are over 200 million.

"All of the 200 million European Starlings found in North America today are descendants of approximately 100 birds released in New York City's Central Park in the early 1890s by an industrialist who wanted to establish, in the U.S., all birds mentioned in the works of Shakespeare.
They compete aggressively for nesting sites and may evict the occupants of desired holes, including the woodpeckers that excavated them.
An individual bird can mimic up to 20 species, including Eastern Wood Pewee, Killdeer, and Meadowlark songs."
Good info for the European Starling, Steve. But, this is a common grackle.

Quote:
"The range of this bird expanded west as forests were cleared. In some areas, it is now considered a pest by farmers because of their large numbers and fondness for grain. Despite a currently robust population, a recent study by the National Audubon Society of data from the Christmas Bird Count indicated that populations had declined by 61% to a population of 73 million from historic highs of over 190 million birds.

Unlike many birds, the grackle benefits from the expansion of human populations due to its resourceful and opportunistic nature. The common grackle population has greatly increased in the Austin, Texas, area in recent years and is regarded as nuisance by some, due to aggressive behavior. Common grackles are considered a serious threat to crops by some, and notoriously difficult to exterminate and usually require the use of hawks or similar large birds of prey."
While I'm not fond of doing it, I do my fair share of helping to keep the numbers down. BTW, here's a European Starling -

My Gallery

--
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7

Gary, I was typing the same kind of message to Steven but you beat me to it.

A couple more items from Wikipedia, "Grackles tend to congregate in large groups, popularly referred to as a plague." That says a lot. Also, "This bird's song is particularly harsh, especially when these birds, in a flock, are calling."
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Gary, I was typing the same kind of message to Steven but you beat me to it.

A couple more items from Wikipedia, "Grackles tend to congregate in large groups, popularly referred to as a plague." That says a lot. Also, "This bird's song is particularly harsh, especially when these birds, in a flock, are calling."
See? Great minds.... Spooky, ain't it?
My Gallery

--
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
See? Great minds.... Spooky, ain't it?
Yep, I'm getting concerned. Fortunately I have Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder so I probably won't remember to be worried, for very long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...q=medium%20%3E

(Apparently it's also a problem in Britain.)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:27 AM   #10

Grackle, Starling, those birds are always getting Gary's goat, but he likes to photograph them both. I don't have either one in my yard so can't keep up with which is which; and which bird is on Gary's list for today.

LOL. To quote an old childhood hero, Alfred E Newman: "What, me worry?"
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote