Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:33 AM   #1

Default Long lens landscapes

I have found myself shooting the 50-200 EC 20 combo on some landscapes, I like the way I can pick a foreground object and isolate it against a very distant background...In Arches and red rock country the color difference and the amount of subjects to choose from is astounding.

Here are a few of my most recent...

Comments and Critique are always welcomed and encouraged.

Enjoy,

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

SmugMug Pics - Click Here
Personal Website - Click Here
Wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Super shots Jim. Are those hand held or on a tripod?.

I have the 50-200mm and I can usually hand hold it okay, but I don't have an EC. Having one would be nice, but I don't think I could hold it steady enough to shoot without a tripod with that combo that you use.
(I never take my tripod out of the house, as that is too much trouble to walk around with one.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3

Very nice pictures Jim, thank you for sharing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Super shots Jim. Are those hand held or on a tripod?.

I have the 50-200mm and I can usually hand hold it okay, but I don't have an EC. Having one would be nice, but I don't think I could hold it steady enough to shoot without a tripod with that combo that you use.
(I never take my tripod out of the house, as that is too much trouble to walk around with one.)
I have the same feeling. Running around with a tripod is something I do not like. Now having also a monopod will be more useful and will go with me, but still I do see it like a ballast.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
Very nice pictures Jim, thank you for sharing them.

I have the same feeling. Running around with a tripod is something I do not like. Now having also a monopod will be more useful and will go with me, but still I do see it like a ballast.

I just love the 50-200 and have no trouble hand holding with the Ec14 even at full range...but once I put on the Ec20 at full range I get blurry shots....so generally I either use a monopod or better yet if I can shoot from the car, I open my window, turn off the car to eliminate vibration and adjust the window up and down for the right angle and frame I am looking for. I push down fairly hard on the lens against the window with my left hand and trip the shutter with my right hand and steady as a rock. Sometimes I get out of the truck and lean over the hood with elbows placed hard on the hood and can get steady enough that IS solves and motion. At equivalent 800mm it takes very little motion to cause blur, so steady is a must.

I hate tripods also and refuse to carry one when hiking, but do use a monopod from time to time, it seems to eliminate one motion anyways and I also lean on trees, rocks or any other solid object with the lens which helps...

If you look at the first picture and click to enlarge you will see people climbing around the bottom of the arch...sharp as a tack.

I love my EC20!! And of course the 50-200, best lens that Oly makes, certainly one of the most versatile for the price.

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:36 PM   #5

Thanks for that very informative information Jim. Sounds like very good tricks of the trade.

I definitely agree about the 50-200, it is a great lens.
I will probably one day get the EC14, don't think I'm ready for the EC20.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 4:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for that very informative information Jim. Sounds like very good tricks of the trade.

I definitely agree about the 50-200, it is a great lens.
I will probably one day get the EC14, don't think I'm ready for the EC20.

I bought the EC14 first and waited until one popped up on the forum to buy the Ec20. When I first got the Ec14 it was on the 50-200 almost all the time, now I switch between the two and use them both on the 50 macro and also on the 14-54...they really work well. Sometimes I will put one in each pocket and just take the 14-54 and if I need more reach...I can put either one on.

Jim

Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigpro View Post
I bought the EC14 first and waited until one popped up on the forum to buy the Ec20. When I first got the Ec14 it was on the 50-200 almost all the time, now I switch between the two and use them both on the 50 macro and also on the 14-54...they really work well. Sometimes I will put one in each pocket and just take the 14-54 and if I need more reach...I can put either one on.

Jim
Okay, so you have the 14-54. Mk I or MkII ?
I'm kinda thinking that if I get a tax refund (?) maybe Sharon will let me add another lens. I am thinking of either the 14-54 or the 12-60mm.

Would like to hear the forum member who have the either the 14-54 or the 12-60 to give me their advice on which one I should get and why. What do you guys think? Also, if I go for the 14-54, is it worth the extra money to get the Mk II or stick to the original Mk I
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:33 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm kinda thinking that if I get a tax refund (?) maybe Sharon will let me add another lens. I am thinking of either the 14-54 or the 12-60mm.

Would like to hear the forum member who have the either the 14-54 or the 12-60 to give me their advice on which one I should get and why. What do you guys think? Also, if I go for the 14-54, is it worth the extra money to get the Mk II or stick to the original Mk I
I have it, Steve. Although, I couldn't tell you which version I have. Really nice stuff. I shot this with it. The 12-60mm will give you a little extra at each end (but, you knew that ). Someone said there were folks having problems with the 12-60mm but didn't elaborate.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Mar 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:37 PM   #9

Quote:

I can't speak for the 12-60 but I love my 14-54 it is the old version, I bought it right after I bought the 70-300 to replace the kit lens....and the new version wasn't out yet. Not much difference between the two versions except the new focusing, and a different aperture set up for supposedly better Bokah, but mine focuses fast as it is, so to me it has never been worth the money or effort to replace it.

I have heard good things about the 12-60 but it is quite a bit more expensive...

Jim

Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:28 PM   #10

I bought the 50-200 & 14-54 to matchup with my E-300 6-yrs ago. I still use them on the old camera, fantastic results and since 2007 both on the E-3. When I bought the E-3 I checked the 12-60 but did not see it better enough than the 14-54 for my usage.

The 14-54 V1 is an amazingly good lens that I recommend heartily.

As for the TCs it seems one really never hears of coupling them to the 14-54, Jim I am happy to hear you do. Recently I did put the EC-20 to my 14-54 on the E-3 and it is a very nice combination that I expect to use often.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote