Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:40 PM   #1

Default Hope you folks in Texas are okay

Just for finished looking at the evening news which showed the damage and destruction left in the wake of 2 tornados that swept through the Arlington and Lancaster areas of Texas near Dallas.

Our good friend, Bob lives in Arlington and Greg works in Dallas. Hope you and your loved ones are okay.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:26 PM   #2

I saw the video in ABC NEWS and USA TODAY, amazing...!!

I hope Bob and Greg will post some messages telling us everything is OK.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:46 PM   #3

Absolutely frightening storm. MY sincere hopes that all is well with everyone.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:21 PM   #4

Me too - when I saw Arlington I immediately thought of Bob. I didn't think it was close to Dallas but I do hope Greg C. is OK!
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:56 PM   #5

....all OK!

What a day, at least 12 touch downs in the DFW area. In Arlington 3, maybe 4 wreaked havoc across town. Bonnie & I watched from our back porch one about 1/2 mile away, it destroyed some homes directly across the street from Kennedale high school, the school was not touched. That storm was tracking NW from us, otherwise into the middle bathroom.

Another twister approx 2-miles north hit our granddaughter's in-laws home tearing away the roof, a house across the street there was destroyed into a heap of rubbish, others were severely damaged, some destroyed.

All counted, at least 150 homes and several businesses were damaged in Arlington.

edit: ...today, Wed, the count has been updated to 400+

The Lancaster, TX storm was south of Dallas and east of Arlington about 25-mile. There is video that likely made the national news showing the truck trailers flying through the air at probably 100-feet high before falling to the ground, much damage there.

The 10pm local news reported no deaths and just a few known injuries, most of which were not serious.

Today was the first time that the national weather service for DFW has issued simultaneous tornado emergencies for both Tarrant county and Dallas county...... not tornado warnings, but emergencies for our adjacent counties at the same time, incredible event.

A really serious weather day in DFW. Greg posted in the micro-4/3 forum, I believe he too is ok.

Thanks very much for the thoughts and emails....... Bonnie, Autumn & I were blessed and safe today.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:59 AM   #6

Great to hear that you and your family and Greg are OK. This hasn't been a good couple of years of weather for Texas.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....all OK!

What a day, at least 12 touch downs in the DFW area. In Arlington 3, maybe 4 wreaked havoc across town. Bonnie & I watched from our back porch one about 1/2 mile away, it destroyed some homes directly across the street from Kennedale high school, the school was not touched. That storm was tracking NW from us, otherwise into the middle bathroom.

Another twister approx 2-miles north hit our granddaughter's in-laws home tearing away the roof, a house across the street there was destroyed into a heap of rubbish, others were severely damaged, some destroyed.

All counted, at least 150 homes and several businesses were damaged in Arlington.

The Lancaster, TX storm was south of Dallas and east of Arlington about 25-mile. There is video that likely made the national news showing the truck trailers flying through the air at probably 100-feet high before falling to the ground, much damage there.

The 10pm local news reported no deaths and just a few known injuries, most of which were not serious.

Today was the first time that the national weather service for DFW has issued simultaneous tornado emergencies for both Tarrant county and Dallas county...... not tornado warnings, but emergencies for our adjacent counties at the same time, incredible event.

A really serious weather day in DFW. Greg posted in the micro-4/3 forum, I believe he too is ok.

Thanks very much for the thoughts and emails....... Bonnie, Autumn & I were blessed and safe today.
Indeed, very good news! Thanks for the update. Hey, did ya get any photos?!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:58 AM   #8

Glad for the update and no serious injuries. Sounds like a lot of cleaning up and reconstruction for a lot of people.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:24 AM   #9

.....and Gary asked, "Hey, did ya get any photos?!"

I did not, but these are in this mornings Ft Worth, Star-Telegram newspaper.

Again, none of the storm came into our neighborhood. As always with tornado (cyclonic) storms there is that sharp divider where total devastation may happen while 50-100 feet away nothing might be touched.

All captions for Arlington & Kennedale are 1/2 to 1 1/2 miles from our home

click the 'view photos' thumbnail ==> http://tinyurl.com/7qfwp3e

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:27 AM   #10

Thanks for the link, Bob - they did a lot of good photos. I'm thinking I could deal with a wrecked car, but total devastation of my home would make my brain freeze: what do you do next? That's when you really need support from friends and neighbors.

And that poor boy whose dog is missing along with the devastation...

Ted