Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:42 AM   #1

Default A few from the other night!

Took a drive with my buddy here in Kalispell the other evening and found a couple things to shoot.

Comments and critique are always welcomed and encouraged.

Enjoy,

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

SmugMug Pics - Click Here
Personal Website - Click Here
Wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:51 AM   #2

More Chamber of Commerce shots, Jim. Great capture of Flathead Lake. And the Osprey shots are dead -on attention getters. The Red Barn setting in front on the hills in the background is also top notch.

With all the super shots that you have captured on your wild west travels over the past weeks, you should enter some of them in the POTD contest here.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:47 PM   #3

....Jim is building the 'For Sale' inventory, well done Jim. Of these I find the barn the most attractive followed by the cattail. Everyone has a lake or bird image but I would bet this barn is not seen in many if any other images and the cattail is something I would shoot first then maybe think about birds.

All are well done, I would not pass up an opportunity to any of them.

When will you be back 'dockside' in Alaska and where in Alaska?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....Jim is building the 'For Sale' inventory, well done Jim. Of these I find the barn the most attractive followed by the cattail. Everyone has a lake or bird image but I would bet this barn is not seen in many if any other images and the cattail is something I would shoot first then maybe think about birds.

All are well done, I would not pass up an opportunity to any of them.

When will you be back 'dockside' in Alaska and where in Alaska?

Thanks Bob - I like the cattail as well and the barn was literally a "grab" shot. I will spend a couple weeks around Kalispell, got to go fish flathead lake and take a trip down to the Buffalo Range and at least one more day up in Glacier, plus I am busy putting the 5th wheel to bed for the summer and shipping things I will need in Alaska up to the Lodge.

The plan is to fly up there around the 18th or so of May and spend a few days in Ketchikan before heading out to the Lodge around the end of the month, I am thinking around the 25th or so. Lots to do at the Lodge before Crew arrives on Memorial Day and the first guests on the 8th of June. Full Lodge most of June and July...September is also real busy...so should be a good summer!

Lots to get done between now and then....plus there are one or two more pictures yet to take around Montana!

Thanks all...

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:29 PM   #5

I don't think he specifically mentioned which lodge in Alaska; but it is "Yes Bay Lodge" in Ketchikan, Alaska. It is apparently well known by sport fishermen. They have a web site: http://www.yesbay.com/includes/Index.htm
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:22 PM   #6

....oh I know about Yes Bay though I've never been there.

But I have been here == http://www.snakefalls.com/index.html. , 225 miles northwest of International Falls, Minnesota.

51-years back I was there a full year April 14, 1961 - April 14, 1962.

I know about the work, the weather and the thrill of living in a remote land of nature. I did and saw every facet of living in the beauty of a natural wilderness, guiding guests for fishing & hunting, caught a 27 lb northern, hunting for food, snowshoeing a 25-mile trap-line trapping for income, building the store of ice for next years season, felling trees & replenishing the firewood pile, working the fish house every night where my best time to fillet & bone 2-5 pound walleye got to be under 10-seconds and a gut-n-gill was roughly 5-seconds for fish up to 10lbs. A typical night in the fish house was a couple hundred fish. I still have and use the hand-made knife, now to slice brisket.

Oh, see the bridge, it is 450 ft across the Chukuni.... That year we built the original bridge exactly at the same place and with stone-laden cribs as seen in the photo. Before the bridge we ferried guests back & forth on a flat deck barge.

I just looked, it is 45 F degrees at Ear Falls, ON which means the ice is beginning to soften in Pakwash and by May 15 opening day the ice will be on the way gone. Before long the daylight will be late enough to sit on the dock after work, around 10pm, read a magazine and get ready for today all over again tomorrow.

Yep, I remember well the year I was 23-yrs...... Which is good because I have not a single photograph from that experience.

One day I hope to get to Alaska...... Jim, I am looking forward to your summer reports and photos.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 26, 2012 at 8:49 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:27 PM   #7

Bobb: I got tired just reading about your young exploits! That was quite an adventure! And that bridge obviously took a lot of work to build. A very scenic location.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:02 PM   #8

Quote:
....oh I know about Yes Bay though I've never been there.

One day I hope to get to Alaska...... Jim, I am looking forward to your summer reports and photos.
Once the season starts on June 8th - I post on our fishing report the daily catch pictures, will probably start with crew training and catching the 1st of June or so....

You can go HERE! to see the fishing report blog and daily updates about the Lodge.

Thanks all, I can't wait to get home....

Jim

Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:39 AM   #9

Quote:

Yep, I remember well the year I was 23-yrs
Bob, reading your post, even before I got to the line above I was hearing Bob Seger singing "Like a Rock" (one of my all time favorite rock songs).

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:30 AM   #10

....lol Ted, I hadn't thought of that but now you mention it, that song could be my life's theme, really. I will remember it for when they bury me.... just made a mental note so I won't forget.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com