Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 7, 2012, 8:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Over on the FourThirdsPhoto forum there's an ongoing discussion about primes versus zooms. It's actually an adult discussion (unlike another forum we know) where the 4/3 users who love shooting with primes and who have had little choice in the past, are becoming happy with the 43 lens selection (which is mostly primes).

The folks who like primes note that that tends to make for a more introspective process. I was chuckling about that yesterday, thinking those folks never shoot events, like the one surrounding the photo I posted to start this thread. We had a group of Girl Scout Daisies visit our parrot rescue aviary yesterday. (Daisies are, apparently, a recent innovation that brings kindergarten-age girls in - the step before Brownies.)

There was no zooming with my friggin feet gonna happen here. Jeez I love Oly 43 zooms.

Ted

PS: Yes those girls really are that adorable.
Interesting Ted.

My 2 main lenses are my 14-54 MK1 and 70-300
14-54 for Scenery / Landscapes and 70-300 for wildlife
Because of my shooting . I cannot see myself owning a prime .
Maybe it's me but that the way I feel
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 9:09 AM   #12

Hi Ted: nice shots which certainly illustrate the benefits of zooms. I've been following the four-thirds discussion. (I always go there instead of the dark side.)

I remember back in my 35mm days that I started out using primes, and was always wishing for zooms. Once I could afford zooms, they just seemed to afford much better photo options, and I could frame the scene and crop it in-camera. What's not to like about that?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 5:24 PM   #13

That is a beautiful parrot!!

Nice shots you made Ted.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 6:02 AM   #14

Thanks, Lordje
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 6:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi Ted: nice shots which certainly illustrate the benefits of zooms. I've been following the four-thirds discussion. (I always go there instead of the dark side.)

I remember back in my 35mm days that I started out using primes, and was always wishing for zooms. Once I could afford zooms, they just seemed to afford much better photo options, and I could frame the scene and crop it in-camera. What's not to like about that?
My first SLR was a Konica Autoreflex and I had the Vivitar 25mm wide angle prime and the venerable Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm macro zoom. The price of that lens today, adjusted for inflation, would be around US$1,200, about the same price as the ZD 50-200mm (although the ZD isn't a macro). As nice as the Vivitar was at the time, in terms of IQ the ZD smokes it and a lens with the IQ of the SHG 14-35 would have cost the same as a new automobile.

I do use and love the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 but I am overjoyed with what I get out of the ZD and Leica zooms. Go back to a bag full of primes? I understand why some folks like that but their type of photography is introspective. For the event shooting I do? Never. I wouldn't have caught the image I posted at the top of this thread (or most of the other images I took of seven 5-6 year old girls) if I didn't have a zoom on the camera.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 11:04 AM   #16

Beautiful bird and cute little girls.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote