Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 10, 2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Default Changing from Raw to Jpeg in camera

I'm having an issue with my E3 camera. I want to change to Jpeg from Raw format. The camera allows me to do this but as soon as I turn the camera off and turn it back on, it has reverted back to the original setting. How do I stop it from doing this?

Ed
basslakeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Administrator

Hey Ed.

Welcome to Steve's.

Hopefully one of our Olympus users will chime in that knows more about how your camera model works in that area.

But, with most cameras, if you're in Auto Mode, none of the changes made will be retained (sometimes returning to defaults even if the camera is not turned off if you switch between modes, depending on the camera model).

Most cameras are designed that way on purpose when using their Auto Mode. That way, a user knows that any settings changes they made won't negatively impact results the next time they use Auto Mode (since the camera returns to using it's defaults). Sometimes, using Programmed Auto versus Auto will allow settings to be retained, depending on camera model.

But, the E-3 doesn't have separate Auto and Programmed Auto modes (only a Programmed Auto Mode), and perhaps it's working in a similar fashion, so that settings are not retained.

Does it behave the same way in other camera modes (e.g., Aperture Priority versus Programmed Auto)?

Are you sure you're using the same mode when you turn the camera back on? Sometimes any changes made are specific to a shooting mode (in other words, if you change from one mode to another, the ISO speed, metering, etc., may be different). That behavior varies by camera model.

If nothing like that (for example, shooting in Aperture Priority versus Programmed Auto) allows you to retain the image file type, you may want to try using your camera's "My Mode" features. It looks like your camera can can store two different sets of custom settings for you that you can use at any time (and you can assign the Fn key to access "My Mode").

See page 93 of this user guide for how to set that up (so that you can store your current settings under a memory position for "My Mode").

http://olympusamerica.com/files/oima..._Manual_EN.pdf
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 12:00 PM   #3

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your information. I usually shoot in Aperture Priority and I found a A1 setting that was Raw. I went back to A and was able to change the setting to LSF. It retained this setting when the camera was turned off and then back on.
Thanks again for the help.

Ed
basslakeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Administrator

Great. I'm glad you figured out a solution.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote