Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 15, 2012, 5:04 AM   #1
Member
 
Leeston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canberra Australia
Posts: 62
Default Advice re Custom Reset E-3 please

I am very new to digital camera's, have bought a E-3 which I am enjoying using very much, but to fully utilise the camera I must learn how to customize the settings to realize the full potential of the camera.

So to that end I am inquiring about the Custom Setting function, am I correct in thinking that if I make changes to the default setting and then do a Reset 1, that will then capture the settings within the camera at that moment, thus it will be Mode 1

Then if I make further changes and I do a Custom Reset 2 it will then capture the additional changes and can be used with Mode 2.

Do I have this right?

I repeat that I am new to digital so please forgive me if these are basic questions, have read manual but have confused myself somehow, I guess at 56 I am a little slow, but am trying to take a slow and steady approach to this.

Have selected this forum to reside in, with a lot of research it appears to be a quite brilliant site with a lot of knowledge within and believe me I have spent many an hour looking at past posts and have been inspired by the quality of advice and images shown.


Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Cheers
Lee
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2012, 8:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeston View Post
I am very new to digital camera's, have bought a E-3 which I am enjoying using very much, but to fully utilise the camera I must learn how to customize the settings to realize the full potential of the camera.

So to that end I am inquiring about the Custom Setting function, am I correct in thinking that if I make changes to the default setting and then do a Reset 1, that will then capture the settings within the camera at that moment, thus it will be Mode 1

Then if I make further changes and I do a Custom Reset 2 it will then capture the additional changes and can be used with Mode 2.

Do I have this right?

I repeat that I am new to digital so please forgive me if these are basic questions, have read manual but have confused myself somehow, I guess at 56 I am a little slow, but am trying to take a slow and steady approach to this.

Have selected this forum to reside in, with a lot of research it appears to be a quite brilliant site with a lot of knowledge within and believe me I have spent many an hour looking at past posts and have been inspired by the quality of advice and images shown.


Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Cheers
Lee
No need for apologies, Lee. You're going about it the right way! Too many times we read of folks getting a camera that is clearly too much for them and attempting to rush ahead without fully understanding what the heck they're doing. That's what the forums are all about... helping each other out.

I have the E-620 and E-30 and while I'm pretty sure these actions are the same on my cameras, I'd rather let someone with an E-3 (Steve ) field this one. I'm sure he'll be jumping right in here shortly.

BTW, I'm 65 and only began shooting a few years ago. You probably have MUCH more of an idea of what you're doing than I do as the basics with digital are the same as film photography.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 9:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Lee, spend a little time reading Andrzej Wrotniak's review and advice on the E-3:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-rev.html

The rest of his site is also excellent. Andrzej hasn't posted anything there in a couple of years (his friends say he's been buried in work) but what is there is a wealth of information on Oly 4/3 cameras, lenses, and imaging techniques. How can you go wrong with a Polish physicist?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 9:39 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
How can you go wrong with a Polish physicist?

Ted
uh... Must we go there, Ted? I mean... really?
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

Hi Lee: I assume that you have downloaded the PDF file of the E-3 manual. Spend a lot of time going through that, and the Wrotniak site is very useful. I believe you are on the right track. Be sure that your selection of resets are always either Reset1 or Reset2, as the first choice of just "Reset" changes everything back to the factory defaults.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Camano Island, WA.
Posts: 2,328
Default

Hey Lee, I'll let the others give you advice, I just point it, shoot and hope.
Nice to have a young man in the thread though.
__________________
Ken.
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
uh... Must we go there, Ted? I mean... really?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 1:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 1:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
OH BARUTHER!
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 4:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
boBBrennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas USA
Posts: 3,567
Default

.....that's exactly why Ken & I did not offer any advice.

Lee you are in good hands with the Polish influence, what could an Irishman like me offer
__________________
.
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:43 PM.