Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 15, 2012, 7:12 AM   #1

Default Who won the War of 1812?

The State of Maryland, in its infinite wisdom, changed the basic license plate for this year to this one:

Their reasoning, I guess, is that al lot of the most significant battles of that war were fought in Maryland so this would be a good bicentennial celebration. They don't mention that the US got its butt kicked in all of those battles except the battle for Baltimore, during which a lawyer wrote the words to the US National Anthem. (Are you detecting some sarcasm here? )

The above plate was the temporary plate on Linda's new (to us anyway) Jeep. After the mandatory inspection was done we wasted no time in
changing it to the plate that provides funds to restore the health of the Chesapeake Bay:

And who won the war of 1812? The two primary combatants of the time basically agreed that neither side won - they agreed on what was essentially a truce. But another country was involved - the US tried to take that country away from Britain and didn't succeed, which was fine with that country's population who were largely happy to be British citizens.

Historians note that Canada won the war of 1812.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2012, 7:21 AM   #2

While I'm not a big advocate of stagnation, I think I would have preferred the former coat-of-arms to the 1812 version. Did they have a contest for grade schoolers to design the plate? The one you changed to (mercifully, there was a choice) is much more pleasing to the eye.

Like it or not, history tends to get rewritten. Hollywood being the worst offender, although there are others right up there with 'em.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 7:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Did they have a contest for grade schoolers to design the plate?
Apparently yes - this is the other alternate plate:

Whereas I am supportive of preserving the little remaining agriculrure that has not been turned into housing subdivisions, can you imagine putting those colors on your automobile?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 7:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Apparently yes - this is the other alternate plate:

Whereas I am supportive of preserving the little remaining agriculrure that has not been turned into housing subdivisions, can you imagine putting those colors on your automobile?

Ted
I can't imagine putting those colors ANYWHERE! It's good they are keeping the grade schoolers busy, though. At least they're not stealing cars and shooting their teachers... for now.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The State of Maryland, in its infinite wisdom, changed the basic license plate for this year to this one:

Their reasoning, I guess, is that al lot of the most significant battles of that war were fought in Maryland so this would be a good bicentennial celebration. They don't mention that the US got its butt kicked in all of those battles except the battle for Baltimore, during which a lawyer wrote the words to the US National Anthem. (Are you detecting some sarcasm here? )

The above plate was the temporary plate on Linda's new (to us anyway) Jeep. After the mandatory inspection was done we wasted no time in
changing it to the plate that provides funds to restore the health of the Chesapeake Bay:

And who won the war of 1812? The two primary combatants of the time basically agreed that neither side won - they agreed on what was essentially a truce. But another country was involved - the US tried to take that country away from Britain and didn't succeed, which was fine with that country's population who were largely happy to be British citizens.

Historians note that Canada won the war of 1812.

Ted
Nice colours....

Proof of a truce was the anthem. A Scott Keys poem linked with a Engerlish bawdy, drinking song.
What really did the anexation movement in was, how the anti slave movement in Canada affected the owners in the "Colonies."

Which State had the "Live Free or Die' motto on it's plate. Then jailed a guy for taping it over. At least he didn't get to die...
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 10:59 AM   #6

It is very nice that you all have those fancy license plates.
Here it is white plate with red letters, nothing more, nothing less. Boring with other words .

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 11:34 AM   #7

Pick a color, any color. Here in Florida there are over 100 license plate designs and colors, with themes from wildlife and fish, to college and pro ball teams and anything in between. A color and theme for everyone.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 9:39 PM   #8

....same in Texas Steven, I keep mine simple with my HAM callsign WD5DHF and haven't forgotten it in 30+ years. I do not know what the plate ID is on the second car, I have it written on the back of an old business card and in my wallet.

Actually I can have the same WD5DHF callsign plates on multiple vehicles, just never have done it.

BTW, the Texas Radio Operator plates are not considered Texas special plates, therefore we HAMS pay no premium over the general registration.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote