Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 19, 2012, 5:36 AM   #1

Default Desolation Row

Out in one of the paddocks this morning before sunrise, trying to get a decent shot of remnants of a long gone homestead, I knew it would be a clear day but foggy in the morning, I was really trying to get a shot of the first rays of the sun hitting the brickwork of the chimney, failed dismally due to mist/fog coming in too quickly and basically it was a washout as far as rays of the sun was concerned........

I have photographed this area a hundred times at different times of the day and still have not got it, no problem I will keep trying, that after all is the fun of what we do, this morning I tried to capture the space and desolation of the area.....have posted a couple of my efforts, still not what I want but am getting there....I absolutely love this scene and the possibilities it presents, a real challenge I have and will take on.

E-3 with 12-60mm

EM-1 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150 f/4-5.6, 50-200mm SWD, MMF-3, EC-20
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2012, 8:44 AM   #2

Oooooooooo... what a great set! I love the mood 1 & 3 set. The light in #2 is sets the exact opposite tone/mood for me. Well done, Lee.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 12:35 PM   #3

Nice shots Leeston. I love the soft pink hues of #2.

In looking at your settings, I notice that you are shooting with soft contrast and sharpness, and with low saturation. And the exposure was as chosen by the average metering. Is that your normal mode or just for this session?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 4:46 AM   #4

Thank you for kind comments.

Re the settings, the E-3 is a very new camera to me as is digital photography, so having shot this scene many times with film camera's I just stuck it on Program and let it do its thing automatically and was interested to see the results of that.

Old May 20, 2012, 11:57 AM   #5

Lee, those are fun. I particularly like #3 - very mysterious. "Was there a house here?" "Did they build the fireplace and then decide to go somewhere else?" As I said, much fun.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeston View Post
Thank you for kind comments.

Re the settings, the E-3 is a very new camera to me as is digital photography, so having shot this scene many times with film camera's I just stuck it on Program and let it do its thing automatically and was interested to see the results of that.
Steven has a good point. I don't think the contrast, sharpness, and saturation settings are related to choosing the Program mode. Did you buy the camera used? If so I suspect those settings were set by the previous owner.

They work very well for this scene and the one of the horses but I suspect the photos of the 'roo would have shown more detail with those settings on Normal.

Ted
Old May 21, 2012, 3:27 AM   #7

Good points, I will reset camera, I assume the two reset buttons on the top right will do the job, plus the custom reset clear, I still have not got my head completely around the two settings banks.

Fiddling round with menus etc on a camera is so alien to me, not something I enjoy but I do like the idea of putting settings back to standard then working from there through trial and error.

Am sorry but I do not know the history of house that was there, other than there clearly was one, I also think I like #3.

But I will take some better shots of this scene in time to come.

Old May 21, 2012, 10:16 AM   #8

I do like a three of your pictures. 1 and 3 has a very nice mood on them.
Number 2 has a very special color on it.
Well done !

I only used the P mode once on my E-3, since that no more.
Settings in my body are the ones from Wrotniak with some thing different where I didn't agree but that is only at maybe 2 points.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:

Fiddling round with menus etc on a camera is so alien to me, not something I enjoy but I do like the idea of putting settings back to standard then working from there through trial and error.
Think of it as being able to do a lot of what used to require a darkroom, right in the camera.

Quote:

But I will take some better shots of this scene in time to come.
You can learn a lot by shooting the same scene repeatedly, under different lighting and with different camera settings. Personally I think that scene is a good one for this kind of experimentation.

Ted