Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 21, 2012, 10:17 AM   #1

Default All of a sudden the E-M5 is looking very interesting to me

The 14-35 SHG is by far my most used lens on the E5, but together they are a load. Now we have this:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic_12-35_2p8
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2012, 10:28 AM   #2

It does look like a very good lens but at a price from € 1099 it isn't that far from the 14-35 SHG lens.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
It does look like a very good lens but at a price from 1099 it isn't that far from the 14-35 SHG lens.
The built-in IS isn't helping the price.

I can't afford to switch to 43 but what's interesting is that 43 probably has a real future as indicated by getting at least one good, fast, and compact zoom. Unfortunately this won't quiet the trolls predicting the death of the 43 camera world as a high-end system.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 6:08 PM   #4

....I am thinking about selling one of the cars and just pumping the bag full of the new m43 stuff, except for the EM-5.

Because I bought the P3 in September (last) I am waiting for the next issue of the OM-D and betting it will be a 'dusey'.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 6:45 PM   #5

Hi Ted

Those two new Pana lenses are going to be pretty tempting, esp with their weight and size, esp compared to HG/SHG Ft glass. The 12-35F2.8 is esp tempting. Now I think we need to see what the IQ of the lens is like and how it compares to both the 12-60 and the 14-35F2 lenses before we know if theyre worth stepping upto. My own thoughts are :

1. That theres going to be a fair amount of software correction going on esp to keep the size and weight down.
2. The build quality of those two don;t look to be in the same league of the HG let alone SHG glass and whether they compare to the Leica D in build would be interesting to now.
3. Theyre both labelled up with the "HD" logo - so are they optimised for video ?
4. At that size, i was hoping that Pana would have been able to keep the 12-35 as an internal zoom.
5. Why are the two new lenses not F2 or faster, esp if theyre using software to fix distortion, and allow for smaller glass.
6. $1300.00 USD is a wee bit pricy for a lens that size and without the ol'd "Leica" logo on the front...
7. The 35-100F2.8 looks as if its just be pulled off an FZ50!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the 12-35 pans out review and sample image wise but whether its as good as the 14-35F2, I doubt it and if it was I'm sure Pana would have made sure it got the "Leica" seal of approval. As a streetshooters lens it could be ideal esp on a camera like the EM5.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote