Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 24, 2012, 5:23 AM   #1

Default The Rocks, Sydney, NSW, Australia.

I am mindful that the bulk of members here are in the USA or UK so I thought it might be nice to share a few pic's of an area called "The Rocks" in Sydney New South Wales.

I had not been there before and as I work for the National Trust here in Australia, I was fascinated by the nooks and crannies in this area, one of the older areas of Sydney, Observatory Hill was built in the late 1800's for astronomy purposes plus it served as a platform for sending flagged messages to ships entering the harbour.

Just astounding walking around and seeing these sandstone steps etc worn down with cobnail boots, old buildings turned into trendy design studio's etc anyway here are a few shots, actually they were my very first with my "new" e-3 and a kit lens 14-45m I think (I no longer have, so I can not be certain).

Shot through the foliage of our Opera House and a very old wool storage building in foreground.

I hope you like them and thank you for looking.

EM-1 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150 f/4-5.6, 50-200mm SWD, MMF-3, EC-20
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2012, 5:32 AM   #2

As a side note, sadly, the pollution coming from the City of Sydney no longer makes it feasible for the Observatory to be used for its purpose, they are now done from country areas, a very sad indictment on our current cities but a fact of life.......sadly.

I live in the country and I can tell you that after half an hour walking around the streets within the city I just wanted to have a shower such was the feeling I experienced.

Lord knows what it must be like in the major cities of the US and Britain given their population etc.

I give thanks for living in a country town of 500 or so residents and our bush capital of Canberra.

Old May 24, 2012, 5:55 AM   #3

Thanks for posting these, Lee. I used to be an amateur astronomer so the observatory is very interesting to me. I am surprised, though, that the steps were worn down so quickly - I always thought that took much longer than a century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeston View Post
As a side note, sadly, the pollution coming from the City of Sydney no longer makes it feasible for the Observatory to be used for its purpose, they are now done from country areas, a very sad indictment on our current cities but a fact of life.......sadly.
Yeah, well that's why I no longer am an amateur astronomer. Where I live now, in the urban equivalent of a light tent, I'm lucky to see a full moon.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 6:20 AM   #4

Sandstone steps, softer than most......

Old May 24, 2012, 5:26 PM   #5

Some nice pictures you made Leeston.
I do like pictures number 2 the most, has something in it what I can not describe.

Thank you for sharing.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 7:40 PM   #6

Nice shots Lee; thanks for sharing. I really like the last one with the contrast between the old building architecture and the modern Opera House in the background.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote