Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 28, 2012, 2:03 PM   #1

Default ....learning the Zuiko 35mm so

I went butterfly hunting yesterday and found the monarchs have returned.

The 35mm on the E-3 is a joy to handle and the results are getting better for me every time out. For me I am finding 'M' mode still is my favorite exposure mode with the 35mm lens most usually in the f/7 - f/10 range with the occasional f/3.5 setting.

These I made yesterday with the E-3 & 35mm

..........and in the midst of those and having a good time were these

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2012, 3:36 PM   #2

You will learn to love that lens...it is one of the better lenses and is generally underrated by everyone...who don't know what they are talking about....I love mine and use it all the time...although the 50 gives me a little more breathing room from the subject.

These pics are fantastic. Good job.

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

SmugMug Pics - Click Here
Personal Website - Click Here
Wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 4:45 PM   #3

You made beautiful pictures with this lens Bob!
I have been looking at the 50 & 35 mm lens and so far I did read that your best of with the 35mm one. Seems to be also good in combination with the ex-25. For myself I still haven't decided what I would buy, there are also two models of Sigma that are sharing my interests. That are the 30mm and 50mm 1,4 ones.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 5:34 PM   #4

Thanks Jim, I already like the lens a lot and like so many others I wish I had gotten it sooner but this way it gives me a new look at the nature shooting I do mostly. Next I will get the FT 9-18 which I absolutely fell in love with when a friend loaned his for a few weeks.

I am finding that the FL50 with the 35mm is a good combination too, I used that today when I walked the neighborhood along with the wired shutter release. For the tripod I used an old ambico we used to mount the family camcorder to. CF legs on my short list too.

Lordje, thank you.

I don't know much about the Zuiko 50 and nothing of the Sigma lenses but I do know the MACRO lenses are fun to use. The 35mm Zuiko is said to be compatible with the EX-25, EC14 & EC20 though I've not used those combinations. I really like getting close for those itty=bitty tiny flowers (the ones that are less than a cm diameter).

.....here is one I found yesterday, the bloom is approx 1/2 cm diameter. The plant was only about 4 inches long (is that about 10cm) with the tiny bloom. It was buried in heavy and dried knee-high grass so I shot this at f/3.5.... the lens needed the light and the setting blurred the dried grass as I was hoping for.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:07 PM   #5

Really nice shots there Bob. That definitely appears to be a vey good lens.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 6:17 PM   #6

All beautiful captures, Bob.

As much as I enjoyed using the 35mm macro on my E-30. Using it on a Pen series body with the VF-2 finder is just a much more pleasant experience.

I'm also put in a little plug for Olympus. I have never purchased a new or used lens made by Olympus that was a bad copy. Oly's quality control is such that I never worried about perhaps getting an out of spec lens.

I was about to say; enjoy your new lens, but it's already clear that you're doing that already.

Zigo

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 7:42 PM   #7

Steven, I believe you would greatly enjoy the lens for the photo topics you have there.
_________

Zig, I too like this lens on the P3. For this outing I decided to use the E-3 to know how the combination handled and have to say it is a splendid feel, very similar to the 14-54 on the E-3.

This morning I took the E-3, wired shutter release, the 35mm & an old tripod (we used it for the family camcorder years ago) for a walk through the neighborhood..... Well, I am pretty well convinced I want a CF tripod

However, the P3 will work pretty well off this old piece and I have a wired release for the P3 too. I will give it a try so to learn if I really want to deal with a tripod.

Greg & Katherine are off to Paris, probably there by now. Greg told me this morning he has hotel reservation for Cape Cod in August which sounds like fun times ahead.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old May 28, 2012, 8:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Steven, I believe you would greatly enjoy the lens for the photo topics you have there.
_________

Zig, I too like this lens on the P3. For this outing I decided to use the E-3 to know how the combination handled and have to say it is a splendid feel, very similar to the 14-54 on the E-3.

This morning I took the E-3, wired shutter release, the 35mm & an old tripod (we used it for the family camcorder years ago) for a walk through the neighborhood..... Well, I am pretty well convinced I want a CF tripod

However, the P3 will work pretty well off this old piece and I have a wired release for the P3 too. I will give it a try so to learn if I really want to deal with a tripod.

Greg & Katherine are off to Paris, probably there by now. Greg told me this morning he has hotel reservation for Cape Cod in August which sounds like fun times ahead.
Hi Bob,

Greg's going to have a busy and very enjoyable summer it seems. He did let me know of his intentions in August. I'm hoping his schedule allows for us to meet - I would enjoy the opportunity to be his tour guide.

Getting back to your point about the possibility of a CF tripod. I was reluctant to spend the money on what I perceived as an extraneous and altogether too expensive accessory. Now that I got it, I can't believe I was so stubborn. It makes a world of difference.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:36 PM   #9

Zig, I know you use a gimbal head and I at this time have no interest there but what tripod do you have. Time to start making a list, there are so many tripods it is like BBQ & beer in Texas........... where to start?

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Zig, I know you use a gamble head and I at this time have no interest there but what tripod do you have. Time to start making a list, there are so many tripods it is like BBQ & beer in Texas........... where to start?
Hi Bob,

Just before I went to Marco Island this year, I got a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 -4section tripod with a standard head. I bought it from Amazon for $270.00.
It is light, yet very sturdy and even with the Gimbal head is easy to carry all day without tiring. My primary concern was a tripod that would be able to carry the weight of the D7000 + the 70-200mm 2.8 lens. The 70-200 is a heavy bugger but feels rock solid on the pod. I have no qualms in recommending it.

Hope this helps.