Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:15 AM   #1

Default E-3 Bracketing

This may be a bit of a numpty question but I am unsure of what I am doing.

I have worked out how to activate the bracketing on my e-3, if I have it set to 3 frames different values, does it then turn off after three...

Two buttons to the left of the prism gets it turned on, do I have to deactivate it...and if so how?, obviously I could go to menu but is there a simpler way.

Some of these simple things seems so complicated sometimes, I will get there, please bear with me.

A little overcome with all these buttons etc.......I suspect it is more a case of paralysis by analysis....I am a yes/no type person and there are a lot of maybe's in the manual.

Thank you in advance for any advice offered, I appreciate your time.

EM-1 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150 f/4-5.6, 50-200mm SWD, MMF-3, EC-20
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:57 PM   #2

Hi Lee: Don't get frustrated with all the many options available on the E-3. I'm still learning all of the customization you can do with the E-3.

When I first got the camera, I used the auto bracket with the 3 shot burst a lot, but after a while I realized that normally the original exposure was usually the right one, and rarely use the auto bracket now, even if shooting in the 3 shot burst mode. To answer your question, the auto bracketing that you set stays there until you go back and change it. You can use either the menu or just push the same two buttons again and you can adjust it and/or turn it off. It is very quick and easy to do. (Remember that the auto bracket only kicks in when you shoot in a burst, single shots are at the metered exposure.)

I might suggest that I have found it easier to +/- exposure instead just by using the front control wheel. Remember that the front and back control wheel are independent, and can control different things. The front control wheel adjusts your exposure +/- as you turn it. If you come to a situation where you want to under or over expose, just turn the front control wheel for your desired exposure for each shot.

Hope this helped and not confused you even more. I spent a lot of time going thru the manual, and playing with the menu. I'm still learning mine, but for me, I found that spending a lot of time repeatedly going thru each feature on the menu and learning the options is time well spent. And if I don't understand something, looking it up in the manual.

An invaluable aid is the Wrotniak review of the E-3. While several years old, it is very definitive and easy to follow. You might not agree with all his settings choices, but it is a good starting point and required reading for all E-3 users. It should be one of your bookmarked sites for your computer.
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-rev.html

The camera will grow on you the more you use it. Don't hesitate to ask questions here on the forum. Good luck and keep at it.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:56 PM   #3

Hi Steven

Thank you very much for taking the time to assist, it is very much appreciated, I understand your reply and it has helped a lot.

I once had a Nikon F5 and the process from memory seemed to be a lot simpler with that model, I think the congestion of information on the digital screen is what is getting me confused.

I am loving the E-3 and learning something new each day, with the manual and also the very much bookmarked site you referenced, they are my bibles.

I have been very much inspired by Gary's indoor shots of flowers etc, so I purchased a basic light setup and have been experimenting, am having trouble getting my settings right thus I felt that bracketing would assist in my learning of this technique, I hope to post some results shortly.

Thank you again, most kind.

Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:15 PM   #4

Gosh, dumb me, I have just picked up camera and bang, turn bracketing on, turn off with turn of the wheel......how easy is that, I could not for the life of me do that last night...what was i thinking....or more to the point was I?...LOL

One of my best....not..

Just goes to show that we can make life hard for ourselves sometimes in over thinking something so simple...certainly I was right referring to paralysis by analysis....

Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:43 PM   #5

Gee whiz, none of us have ever made mistakes with our camera before. LOL. Welcome to the normal world of learning our cameras.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:27 PM   #6

LOL.....but don't you feel such a daft git when you do it and it is so simple.

Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:07 AM   #7

You know I still havent worked out that button combo until you mentioned it! I still have yet to use the bracketing with teh E3 and thats after nearly 4 years of ownership!

I personally just do most of the non basic changes via the super control panel or whatever its called - nice simple and easy.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote