Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:50 PM   #1

Default New to me E-3...

I picked up new to me E-3 to go along with my E-500. I got into the menus on the E-3 to check out many times the shutter has been fired and it says 79 times. Can this be reset or did I get a hardly used camera? It does appear to be brand new. Not a mark on it. I gave $500 for it used.
StretchMaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchMaK View Post
I picked up new to me E-3 to go along with my E-500. I got into the menus on the E-3 to check out many times the shutter has been fired and it says 79 times. Can this be reset or did I get a hardly used camera? It does appear to be brand new. Not a mark on it. I gave $500 for it used.
Hi: Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your E-3. It is a great camera, but very different from the E-500 in the many options that can be programed in it's very extensive menu options.

I don't think that a user can reset the shutter count, but I have heard that Olympus sometimes resets the shutter count it they perform an overhaul of the camera. So it is either a barely used camera, or has been serviced by Olympus to like new condition. either way you got a great deal on the camera. It is built like a tank, and the shutter is guaranteed to at least 150,000 clicks.

Be sure and spend a lot of time with the manual, and bookmark this site as a reference for your E-3:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-rev.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:25 PM   #3

Thanks Steve. I have been a long time reader of this forum.

I have wanted to pick up an E-3 for a long time now and I saw this one at KEH and went for it. The site you posted has kept me busy for the past few nights, a lot of good info for an E-3 newb like myself. I love my E-500 and this E-3 should fit in nice. I do need to get a better lens though, right now all I have are the two kit lenes that came with the 500. I have my eye on the 12-60mm right now as it fits my budget. I also have the 50mm F2 macro and the extension tube.

I have a quick question if you don't mind.

What kind of battery life are getting out of your E-3?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:00 PM   #4

If you are shooting normally (not live view), battery will last a lot longer.

One shoot I got 1000 shots in around 3 hours, with no signs of dying.

If you only shot ocassionally you'll get less as it's natural for the battery to self drain (even on a shelf)...plus the camera uses some power when it's off, may get 400 or less in that case.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:06 PM   #5

KEH is a very reputable dealer, obviously you got a good deal.

You are on the right track. The 12-60 is a very nice lens, I picked up mine used for a good price, and have been very pleased with it. (If not the 12-60, then the older 14-54mm lens is also very good, and cheaper.)

My favorite lens is the 50-200mm, I would recommend putting it on your wish list. I bought the used Mk I model, I didn't see the need to pay extra for the MK II model.

Have fun learning your new camera, and be active in the forum. We will be looking for your photos.

I have a large collection of batteries, as I have 4 bodies that use that type of battery. I always carry extra batteries when I'm on a shoot. The shots I get vary depending on things like the use of flash and or live view.

Last edited by Steven R; Jun 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:21 AM   #6

Congratulations on the E-3, wonderful camera, I have the 12-60 and 50-200 and feel that they both cover the range well and all I need plus the 50mm macro which is a wonderful lens as well.

Leeston

E-3 14-42mm 18-180mm, 70-300mm
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:25 AM   #7

Quote:
What kind of battery life are getting out of your E-3?
Congrats on the new camera - you will enjoy it and if your hands are large it will fit you better than the E500.

Regarding batteries, in the future when you buy replacements (all batteries have a finite limit on charge-discharge cycles) you might consider getting the BLM-5 and charger that Oly introduced with the E-5 (or a reputable copy such as Wasabi Power). On paper it has 8% more capacity but folks including me feel it seems to deliver more additional life than that.

The BLM-5 works in all Oly cameras that use the BLM-1 (including the E-500) but requires a different charger than the BLM-1. A Japanese industrial consensus standards group, whose name I have forgotten, adopted a standard for rechargeable batteries that requires the charger to detect a battery overheating temperature and automatically turn off the charger to prevent fires. The BLM-5 plus its charger, meets that standard.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:30 PM   #8

Thanks for the info guys. I read about the BLM-5 but since I have four BLM-1's and two chargers I should be good to go. My 500 seems to go through the batts pretty quick, thats why I have four of them. I am thinking about the HLD-4 for the two batts it can hold at once.

I do like the size of the E-3 much better then the 500. I am 6'5" tall and have large hands so it fits nice. The finder on this camera is sweet vs the 500. The screen is much better and manual focus is now easy vs the 500.

Is there a size limit when posting picks here?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Is there a size limit when posting picks here?
Yes. Below the message editing box is a box named Attach Files. When you click on manage Attachments, the pop-up window shows the limit for images - 253.9 KB (yes, they do appear to love four-digit precision) .

Many of us feel that the attachment process can degrade the image and instead post images as a link to the photo repository we use (which is Smugmug for a lot of us). And there's no size limit when you do that, other than courtesy to keep the size within the boundaries of typical monitors.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:24 PM   #10

The hld-4 is good to last all day, you will grow to love the viewfinder on this cam, how it handles speed compared with the E500 and th i.s. the weather proofing the sturdiness. I have the E330 and still change lenses onto the E3 rather than use the E330, but he E330 is a good walk about cam. The 12-60mm is a great lense I have done a whole wedding using this lense only.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote