Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:16 PM   #1

Default The Me Shrine

I've been putting this together for a while now and I'm pretty much done with it except for making a shadowbox for a U.S. flag the flew over Bagram air base in Afghanistan. Veterans generally call this the "Me Shrine". Pardon all the reflections. From the Fuji.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:29 PM   #2

Hey there Swabbie, that is so cool. Thank you for sharing these photos, and thank you for serving your country.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:59 PM   #3

I have to agree with Steven, neat idea, and thanks from one vet to another!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey there Swabbie, that is so cool. Thank you for sharing these photos, and thank you for serving your country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
I have to agree with Steven, neat idea, and thanks from one vet to another!
Thanks, guys. And, a mutual thanks to you, Robert. In case you're interested, this is DD968's last day afloat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ukdkk1Y5xw
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:59 PM   #5

Gary, it was not clear from your post whether you served aboard this destroyer. In any case, it was sad watching a proud warship being sunk by her own country. Call me a sentimental fool... Thanks again for this post, it stirred up some thoughts.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild
Gary, it was not clear from your post whether you served aboard this destroyer. In any case, it was sad watching a proud warship being sunk by her own country. Call me a sentimental fool... Thanks again for this post, it stirred up some thoughts.
Thanks, Robert. I did, indeed, serve aboard her and two other destroyers, a frigate, and an ammo ship.

<><~~~~~
Sent from my Android tablet using Forum Runner
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:50 AM   #7

Nice, Gary! I didn't know that you were Navy too. I was a nuc. That's an Information Systems Technician emblem, right? You didn't go for CPO?

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 14, 2012 at 5:55 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Nice, Gary! I didn't know that you were Navy too. I was a nuc. That's an Information Systems Technician emblem, right? You didn't go for CPO?

Ted
Yeah, Ted, I had 6 years Army Guard and 15 years Navy. My last command was VERY "dysfunctional". It was the only one of my commands that ever showed me how absolutely stupid people can be. No teamwork, very racially divided, gender divided, and I think the Navy decided to put every person with single-digit IQs and huge egos on her. When I got back from Desert Storm I'd decided not to run the risk of being assigned another command like that. So, I took the VSI (which I still get and will for another 10 years), and never looked back. A great many senior enlisted did at the time. I do miss the "old" Navy. It put me around the world twice, something I would never have had the chance to do otherwise. A lot of GREAT memories, and a few not-so-great. The "new" Navy is... "different" and not for us old coots. We have a lot of exceptionally bright young men and women in the armed services. I wish them well and hope their views don't get jaded like mine did by the politicians and the egos of a few.

You're correct. That's a IT rating badge. But, in my day it was Radioman. We still operated with HF teletype, VLF, UHF comms. Satellite comms were the big thing and computers (PCs) were in their infancy. I was one of those that saw the coming trend and embraced it. The command viewed it with disdain and shunned it at every opportunity. A LOT of them missed the paradigm shift by clinging to old technology and shot themselves in the foot (My old chief, included). I taught myself everything I know about the IT industry and became a systems engineer/data base designer/tech shortly after discharge.

Funny, when I was in the process of applying for VSI, the master chief of the command told me I would lose all my benefits (commissary and exchange, medical, etc.). I told him I could get better deals at Walmart and I didn't trust Navy doctors. Another truth. However, I recently found out he lied (Surprise! ). While I lost all my other "benefits", I retained my VA benefits. The medical benefits are comparable to what my wife gets through her employer and the copays for pharmaceuticals will save me over $1200 a year.

I'd sure like to get my hands on a couple of chambray shirts, though. After the ship's laundry got done with them, they were extremely comfortable!
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; Jun 14, 2012 at 7:34 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I think the Navy decided to put every person with single-digit IQs and huge egos on her.
That's very possible, actually. I discovered a long time ago that large organizations often have what we called a Turkey Farm - you put all the turkeys in one place which minimizes their impact on the rest of the organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
You're correct. That's a IT rating badge. But, in my day it was Radioman.
I know. I looked it up to be sure my memory was correct and saw that they changed it to IT. But I was thinking about teasing you and asking if it stood for Morse Code Technician at the time you were in.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
That's very possible, actually. I discovered a long time ago that large organizations often have what we called a Turkey Farm - you put all the turkeys in one place which minimizes their impact on the rest of the organization.
Wouldn't it just be easier to get rid of 'em and not have to pay 'em?!

Quote:
I know. I looked it up to be sure my memory was correct and saw that they changed it to IT. But I was thinking about teasing you and asking if it stood for Morse Code Technician at the time you were in.
And, ya know, IMCO was still being used and taught at the time! So, you wouldn't have been too far off the mark. But, I understand you wanting to have a little fun with me. A LOT of folks do.
My Gallery

--