Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:59 AM   #1

Default Lens Advice

OK, so I've just come back from 2 weeks in Turkey (I am flipping freezing now!!! LOL). I took with me the pancake and the 17.5-45 lens both were great but I didn't have enough zoom.

I was thinking of getting a 70-300 for more reach but I admit I know bugger all about lenses! So what do you guys think? I have the 40-150 but in my limited knowledge thought that 70-300 would be more flexible????

Any advice from my favorite guru's would be appreciated
SamJuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:39 AM   #2

The 70-300mm is a great lens, especially for the price. However, it's a light hawg. It does REALLY well in good light - nice sharp IQ, fairly fast focusing. Just the opposite in low light. A better lens is the 50-200mm. There are quite a few non-SWD out there that are much less expensive than the SWD version. I own the non-SWD version and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. I can't speak to the SWD version as I don't own it and never used one.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:13 AM   #3

Hi, Samantha

I agree with Gary - the 50-200 is a great lens. There's a buy-and-sell forum at fourthirdsphoto.com where the older version of that lens seems to be selling for around USD500, which is the same price as a new 70-300. Here's one example:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/sho...4-14-42-40-150

One of the issues with the speed of a telephoto lens (that's behind what Gary is getting at) is that the longer focal length, the more it magnifies the vibration and motion that blurs an image. You counteract this by using faster shutter speeds (or a tripod) and if the lens is slow you won't have enough light to be able to get to the faster shutter speeds. So I don't know what's available in the used market in the UK but personally if I could get a used 50-200 in good condition for the same price as the 70-300 new, I'd sure go for the 50-200. I have never seen anyone say they regretted buying one.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys, I look into the 50-200
SamJuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJuggins View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, I look into the 50-200
Hi Sam: I will echo the other's advice. They pretty well summed it up. I'm glad I have both lens, but I find that most of the time I prefer the 50-200.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:14 PM   #6

I had meant to also mention that 300mm (35mm equivalent of 600mm) is tough to hold steady without a tripod or at least a monopod (although Samantha is younger than you or me ).

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I had meant to also mention that 300mm (35mm equivalent of 600mm) is tough to hold steady without a tripod or at least a monopod (although Samantha is younger than you or me ).

Ted
LOL That reminds me Ted, when I was a young man shooting 35mm film cameras, I used to pride myself for hand holding without a tripod at slow shutter speed. Now, I would not even try, and am so thankful for Image Stabilization!!!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:10 AM   #8

Hi Sam. Nice pics from Turkey, I like the hazy sunset and the smiling spoilt brat..

My fav lens and the one I use most is the 70-300, Yes it has it's foibles and does like light or/and a pod. I use a extending monopod for tough shots but most of mine are hand held. But I am jealous of the guys with the 50-200.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Hi Sam. Nice pics from Turkey, I like the hazy sunset and the smiling spoilt brat..

My fav lens and the one I use most is the 70-300, Yes it has it's foibles and does like light or/and a pod. I use a extending monopod for tough shots but most of mine are hand held. But I am jealous of the guys with the 50-200.

Hello sam
I agree with Ken
The 70-300 is on my E-520 80 % of the time.
If there is good light it is an excellent lens
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote