Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Administrator

Here's an offer I found in one of my e-mail in boxes to get AfterShot Pro for even less, as it contains an offer to get it for only $49.99 through June 30th. Look at the first offer in the second row. I don't know if it's tied to my e-mail address or not. But, I'll pass it on anyway.. If it doesn't work, just use the current sale price of $59.99 instead from my previous link (which is still a super deal on this product).

http://links.email1-corel.com/YesCon...qr2DdtqoEEjMzt

Here's a direct link to the AfterShot Pro listing in that e-mail special for $49.99:

http://links.email1-corel.com/u.d?G4..._2rid=82283890

Bibble 5 was selling for $99.99 for the standard version, and $199.99 for the Pro version. After Corel purchased Bibble Labs, they launched it as AfterShot Pro (Corel dropped the Standard Version and started offering only a Pro version for $99.99, which is a super deal, since that's half of what Bibble Pro 5 was selling for), and with the current specials (able to get Corel AfterShot Pro for a sale price of only $59.99 (or $49.99 via some of the e-mail specials), it's very hard to beat (Bibble 5 Pro would have cost you approx. 4 times that amount, since it was selling for $199.99)

Even if you don't need all of it's features, one [huge] benefit of Corel AfterShot Pro compared to most other products is that it's *very* fast (most other raw converters are "slow as Molasses" in comparison).

IOW, Corel AfterShot Pro makes it as easy to work with RAW files as most apps using JPEG files, because it's speed of processing RAW files is second to none. No other product comes close it's so fast, especially with multi-core CPUs (as it's processing speed scales nicely as more cores are added).

It's also cross platform, which is a very big deal to me, since I use Linux most of the time in a multi-boot config with Linux distros and Win 7 on the same PCs. I've got Corel AfterShot Pro installed in both Windows 7 and Linux right now (and the same license key works for both Operating Systems). That's one of the extra benefits that Bibble Labs offered with the Pro versus Standard version (and so far, Corel AfterShot Pro works the say way, where you can use the same license key in more than one Operating System if you're the only user, with versions available for Windows, OS X and Linux). That way, I can boot into either Win 7 or Linux (since I have both Operating Systems installed) and use the same software.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:16 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Even if you don't need all of it's features, one [huge] benefit of Corel AfterShot Pro compared to most other products is that it's *very* fast (most other raw converters are "slow as Molasses" in comparison).

IOW, Corel AfterShot Pro makes it as easy to work with RAW files as most apps using JPEG files, because it's speed of processing RAW files is second to none. No other product comes close it's so fast, especially with multi-core CPUs (as it's processing speed scales nicely as more cores are added).
One other interesting observation is that future versions of AfterShot Pro should make use of GPU Acceleration via OpenCL. More about OpenCL here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL

AFAIK, Corel AFterShot Pro is already the fastest raw convertor on the planet. But, they're now working on versions to make it approx. twice as fast by making use of the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit; a.k.a., your video card). See the tests that Anandtech performed using a beta release of AfterShot Pro here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...o,3208-11.html

Basically, AfterShot Pro is so fast that I don't even bother to shoot JPEG anymore. I used to shoot RAW+JPEG so that I could use the RAW file in the event of exposure or white balance issues with the JPEG images, while using the JPEG files for most purposes.

But, anymore, I've found that it's easier just to shoot RAW only instead, since the speed of processing RAW files is so fast using AfterShot Pro, there is really no need for the JPEG files.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Basically, AfterShot Pro is so fast that I don't even bother to shoot JPEG anymore. I used to shoot RAW+JPEG so that I could use the RAW file in the event of exposure or white balance issues with the JPEG images, while using the JPEG files for most purposes.

But, anymore, I've found that it's easier just to shoot RAW only instead, since the speed of processing RAW files is so fast using AfterShot Pro, there is really no need for the JPEG files.
I experiment a lot when I'm shooting and definitely expect to toss many of the images. So for me JPEG is still handy because I can sort through the files on the CF card faster by looking at the JPEGs than the RAW files. (They open faster in Irfanview.)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:53 PM   #14
Administrator

Personally, I never "toss" anything in the camera, as you never know when you may want an image that didn't look "quite right" on a camera's LCD that you may find to have unique qualities later when looking at it on a larger display, especially if you edit it to compensate for exposure or WB issues.

Storage is cheap anymore. Heck, you can buy a typical 16GB SDHC card for under $20 anymore:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Memory-Cards/ci/1097/N/4270508873+4294952451/Ns/p_PRICE_2|0

Even the faster UHS-1 compatible SHDC cards or UDMA 6/7 compatible CF cards are not too expensive now. Storage is cheap. ;-)

So, as a general rule of thumb, I never "cull" images in camera, since it's easy to keep a lot of images on a newer 16GB or larger card now, especially if you shoot RAW only (so that you don't have the extra storage taken up by the JPEG images like you have when shooting RAW+JPEG).

Then, I just use the rating systems (one star, two stars, etc.) later in [very fast] image management apps like AfterShot Pro to decide on keepers, since I can easily discard the images that I don't rate as high, exporting the rest to JPEG. The rating systems in newer image management apps make it easy to filter images based on how you rate them (and browsing through your raw files is *very* fast with an app like AfterShot Pro).
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:31 PM   #15

Jim, sorry I wasn't clear. I never delete an image in the camera either (except when I accidentally take an image of my feet). What I meant was that when I plug the CF into a reader I don't copy the images that were unsuccessful, into my computer. But at that point I'm viewing them on a calibrated monitor. But I do take your point that viewing the RAW images in AfterShot Pro may make jpegs unnecessary.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:35 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
(They open faster in Irfanview.)
Another suggestion. Don't use Irfanview. I was a fan of Irfanview for years. But, I can remember trying to work with larger files from a Sony A850 a couple of years ago, and Irfanview was so slow browsing through them that it was virtually unusable. It's just not very good anymore compared to other products, as it's just too slow. So, I've rarely used it since then other than for very simple tasks, after being so disappointed with it for viewing larger files a couple of years back.

One product that is pretty good for browsing through lots of larger files if you're a Windows user is FastPictureViewer Pro

It's not bad at all for scrolling through your images, with features like one click viewing of images at 100% size, scripts that make it easy to cull images based on ratings, etc. Irfanview is a real dog in comparison (dramatically slower if you need to sort through a lot of larger images quickly).

But, I'd suggest using Corel AfterShot Pro instead, as it's very fast, and has loads of features you don't get with a product like FastPictureViewer Pro (and AfterShot Pro is cross platform, too).
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:58 PM   #17

.....it is amazing what ASP can do editing jpg files and it is non-destructive with jpg the same as RAW; writing the .xmp files in the source directory and the editied files to any folder, never destructive.

Again, the input can be from any source directory, even a media card..... importing to catalogs is just not needed which is important for usage such as Ted mentioned.

Bibble Pro always was faster than any of the other editing packages, now the new version as ASP from COREL is keeping that facet of code going.

Jim said most of this but the speed, catalog importing non-requirement, jpg processing, and new camera data updates, and 30-day non-crippled trial make ASP worthy of testing, even if you don't shoot RAW.

Check out the webinar Jim and I have pointed out on several occasions, Jim did again above. The YouTube webinar video is the easy way see how powerful ASP really is, it is free and no-work involved, just kick back with a bag of FRITOS & a Dr Pepper (unless you live in GA, Atlanta in particular).

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 5:52 PM   #18

What's Dr. Pepper?

Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:16 PM   #19

Quote:
What's Dr. Pepper?
The sweet23 of Tejas ; that and Blue Bell ice cream (pralines & cream) make a great float!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:24 PM   #20

pralines & cream

I will be checking these out in the next few days. I do not use raw a lot so it will be a learning curve for sure. So far Raw Therapee does not seem to bad but I will check out the others.

Last edited by StretchMaK; Jun 26, 2012 at 7:27 PM.
StretchMaK is offline   Reply With Quote