Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:14 PM   #1

Default Raw files...

What is good raw converter? I have never messed with the raw files before and would like to play around with them a little bit. I have Photoshop 7 and it will not open the Olympus ORF files. I do not have any of the Olympus programs anymore either. Can I get a plug in for Photoshop 7?
StretchMaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2

Try. RAWtherapee. It's free.

<><~~~~~
Sent from my Android tablet using Forum Runner
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:35 PM   #3

Thanks, I will give that a try.

I have the Olympus Master software that came with my E-500 but can not find the disk right now. I am not even sure if it will do the raw files from the E-3 as it is newer then the 500.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:56 PM   #4

Again Picasa is free and I use it to convert my raw files.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchMaK View Post
Can I get a plug in for Photoshop 7?
The Adobe app that converts RAW files is called Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). The first Photoshop version that had, and would support, ACR was CS which came after PS 7.

I haven't tried the freeware apps mentioned above, since I have CS5 and I really do like using ACR (and I use PS for the NIK software filters especially the polarizing filter). If you want ACR, it is the same RAW-conversion engine used in Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photoshop Elements. Of these, PSE is by far the least expensive but the ACR in PSE is disabled in a few ways, one of which is that it won't open a jpeg file only a RAW file.

Another option is Olympus Studio, which was sold some years ago as their top-end image application, including RAW conversion and tethering to and controlling your camera with a computer. They stopped supporting and selling it and now allow it to be downloaded and used for free. Go here:

emporium.olympus.com/downloads/UIPOWEVCXM/StudioWindows.zip
This is the key they provide: 0202 1000 2628 0855 7309

If I were to start over again and didn't have Photoshop I'd probably try the free apps mentioned above, and Studio as well. Studio is likely to produce good results but it's not known for being really user friendly (although how could it be worse than Photoshop ).

All that said, starting with a RAW file is definitely worth your time. Oly has what is arguable the best in-camera jpeg conversion but it's still better, and more fun, to do it yourself particularly for your favorite photos.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:13 PM   #6

I have both Olympus Studio and Olympus Viewer. They are very similar and both work well but to me nothing compares to Lightroom for ease of use and editing power.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:32 PM   #7
Administrator

As Gary (gjtoth) suggested, you may want to give RawTherapee a try. It's a cross platform, open source raw converter with lots of features:

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

In an inexpensive commercial product, I'd suggest giving Corel AfterShot Pro a try (you can download a 30 day trial to see if you like it or not, and if you decide to purchase it later, just enter in your license code you get with a purchase, and you'll have a registered copy with no need to reinstall anything).

Corel purchased Bibble Labs and relaunched Bibble Pro as Corel Aftershot Pro and has been refining the features since then (with the same Bibble development team in Austin working on AfterShot Pro now).

It's *very* inexpensive for what you get, as Corel priced Aftershot Pro for only $99 retail (when Bibble Pro 5 was selling for $199); and it looks looks like Corel has it on sale right now for only $59.99. IMO, that's a "steal".

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...id=prod4670071

It's also very full featured. It's closest competitor is Adobe Lightroom, but I like AfterShot Pro better in some areas.

Here's a "Webinar" showing some of it's features. You'll see some of the more advanced tools like selective editing showing how to use layers and regions about 30 minutes into it (so you can do things like adjust the exposure and use fill light on the bottom of an image, without changing the sky).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i633ZBya9Fc

I also like that it's cross platform (versions available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Windows) since my PCs are setup in multi-boot configs with both Win 7 and Linux (as I use Linux the vast majority of the time, only booting into Win 7 to test reported problems with forums, or to test camera manufacturer software specific to Windows).

But, even if I were using Windows or OS X as my primary Operating System, I'd still use Corel AfterShot Pro, as it's hard to get more "bang for the buck" when you look at image management, editing features and processing speed. It's a super product if you want to improve your workflow (and many of it's features will work with both raw and jpeg files).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:01 PM   #8

Thanks guys. A lot of good info. I have a few days off coming up and will check these out. Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 6:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
In an inexpensive commercial product, I'd suggest giving Corel AfterShot Pro a try (you can download a 30 day trial to see if you like it or not, and if you decide to purchase it later, just enter in your license code you get with a purchase, and you'll have a registered copy with no need to reinstall anything).

Corel purchased Bibble Labs and relaunched Bibble Pro as Corel Aftershot Pro and has been refining the features since then (with the same Bibble development team in Austin working on AfterShot Pro now).

It's *very* inexpensive for what you get, as Corel priced Aftershot Pro for only $99 retail (when Bibble Pro 5 was selling for $199); and it looks looks like Corel has it on sale right now for only $59.99. IMO, that's a "steal".

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...id=prod4670071

It's also very full featured. It's closest competitor is Adobe Lightroom, but I like AfterShot Pro better in some areas.
That's excellent advice, Jim. I forgot about Aftershot Pro and when it went on sale, over at fourthirdsphoto a lot of folks said they use and like it and that it's worth a lot more than even the retail price much less the sale price.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:17 AM   #10

.....I've been using ASP/Bibble since version 2, it is very much like LR 9now) except data management is better IMO in that a directory of files may be simply opened and processed (including jpg) without the need for cataloging. For me this is important because I manage all my image data, but if one is not into the detail of that then ASP can act the same as LR and work off the cataloging schema.

The webinars by Corel are presented by the person who knows the software best, he is doing the same job at Corel as formerly at Bibble.

Ted is exactly correct about the price, my first Bibble purchase was a box at 125$ nearly 7-years ago.

The cross OS platform usage for ASP is remarkable in that it plays exactly the same for each OS and one license affords a copy of each should you need/want, at one time I had MAC, Windows and Linux running against the same license..... Bibble always allowed this and (for) now COREL is following.

I don't believe one can find a commercial product for image editing that is actually better the ASP for the price which I believe ends with the end of this month.

RAW Therapee is pretty good, I've tried it a few times but free code is just that, maybe good but at the convenience of authoring time & energy, I will take the commercial package over the free.

It really depends on the importance that editing features and data management may be to the user.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 26, 2012 at 8:23 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote