Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1

Default Glad

I'm in a sort of "creative slump" right now, so I thought shooting this gladiola might get the juices flowing again. From the Fuji.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:18 AM   #2

Nice Gary, Alway like to see Glads. My dad grew them back in merry olde engerland when I was a kid. Happy memories. I liked to play with the seed pods. I always liked the way the pods formed one at a time, down the stem as the flowers fell.

This is a great shot, Thanks!

edit: You're in a slump, I don't know if it's the weather or just a general malaise. I do have to go out and shoot a house today. I usually enjoy that even with the restrictions, Front, back, sides and the rooms. I try and get some creative stuff and romance it a bit. Some agents shots are so bloody awful, I mean they don't seem to care if the trash can is front and center and the house slopes downhill.
It's the home finder first look at a potential. Make it look like its someplace they'd like to live. At least clone out the dead dodge lying on it's back on the front lawn..

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Nice Gary, Alway like to see Glads. My dad grew them back in merry olde engerland when I was a kid. Happy memories. I liked to play with the seed pods. I always liked the way the pods formed one at a time, down the stem as the flowers fell.

This is a great shot, Thanks!

edit: You're in a slump, I don't know if it's the weather or just a general malaise. I do have to go out and shoot a house today. I usually enjoy that even with the restrictions, Front, back, sides and the rooms. I try and get some creative stuff and romance it a bit. Some agents shots are so bloody awful, I mean they don't seem to care if the trash can is front and center and the house slopes downhill.
It's the home finder first look at a potential. Make it look like its someplace they'd like to live. At least clone out the dead dodge lying on it's back on the front lawn..
Thanks very much, Ken. It's not just agents, Ken. Folks throw stuff in front of me and say, "What do you think?" and it's trash. If it were a good snapshot, fair enough. But, they aren't even that! And, these folks are shooting with some really good equipment!! They shoot in auto, freehand, and expect the CAMERA to do magic. Most times my response is something like, "You could probably get a lot out of a couple of books." and then tell them about "The Digital Photography Book" and "Understanding Exposure". Normally, they don't press the issue. But, when they do, I just say something like, "A few things that would help this image is..." and proceed to tactfully shred it. Those folks rarely, if ever, ask again.
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:29 PM   #4

Hey Gary: good shot, excellent color.
I recommend that you get out more. Usually a little change of scenery does a lot to help. A nice long walk with the camera never hurts.

I went out for a little walk this morning, and within a block of my home a hawk flew out of the woods by me, and landed on a nearby roof. Hanging from its beak was a little foot long snake that he had captured. Now I would have missed that entirely if I had not decided to take a little walk when it stopped raining.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey Gary: good shot, excellent color.
I recommend that you get out more. Usually a little change of scenery does a lot to help. A nice long walk with the camera never hurts.

I went out for a little walk this morning, and within a block of my home a hawk flew out of the woods by me, and landed on a nearby roof. Hanging from its beak was a little foot long snake that he had captured. Now I would have missed that entirely if I had not decided to take a little walk when it stopped raining.
Thanks, Steve. I have a couple of excursions planned and I'm looking forward to them.
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I'm in a sort of "creative slump" right now, so I thought shooting this gladiola might get the juices flowing again. From the Fuji.
Hello Gary
Very Nice Shot.

I know how you feel about a slump.
I am in a shooting Slump.
I know its the weather here . Rain Rain and some more Rain.
I am an outdoor person, and I get this way when it rains

Could be worse. I could be in Tampa. Right Steven ?

PS
Gary I always like your and every ones flower shots.
My flower identification knowledeg is getting better
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:22 PM   #7

Gary, I really like the glad image, one of my favorite flowers to see. Between it and Iris I can look a long time. This one is quite nice, thanks, but don't get the slumps if you are able to get out and see the surprises of nature.

I suggest to everyone who can do so that they get out as much as possible, even to a shopping mall, watch people, parks & really see what is there and any other events that may 'tickle their fancy'. I think everyone who does will feel better, in their mind if not physically.

Getting out and about breaks all kinds of slumps............

I am doing my 'city parks' project again this summer. Walking the backyards at the parks, off the walk/bike paths, I see the parks in a whole other way than what most do, and I get to photograph some really nice subjects never seen by those not looking.

Having grown up hunting and fishing in the upper midwest and then living and guiding in the far NW of Ontario, CAN there were so many times I saw nature in its purest form. Now with a camera instead of a gun I am enjoying the same adventure rush, when I see a really unexpected flower, animal, bird or just the light glimmering on a leaf or dead foliage it makes for an exciting and rewarding hike.

..... last week when I visited a new (for me) park the very first thing I saw was this GBH, while I was photographing the heron it began to hunt; this and a set
http://tinyurl.com/c2rs2tq was my reward. Never had I seen a GBH spear a fish.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:01 PM   #8

Excellent series Bob, really good shots and enjoyed viewing them.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:24 PM   #9

Your flower shots are pretty sweet. I hope my slumps can be that good.
StretchMaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
.................................................. ......

Could be worse. I could be in Tampa. Right Steven ?

Fortunately the rains here have stopped and we are drying out. The bad place to be now is in Colorado. We have relatives in Colorado Springs and they are now on notice to be ready to evacuate from the wildfires.