Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2012, 2:40 PM   #1

Default Has anyone heard from Ted?

Has anyone heard from Ted?? I just now turned on the news and saw that deadly thunderstorms had been ripping thru the Washington, DC area and suburbs. I know that Ted lives in one of the suburban areas.

update: I also just now saw that the line of thunderstorms stretched back thru Kentucky also. Haven't heard for Gary either.

Last edited by Steven R; Jun 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:43 PM   #2

Thanks for asking - I'm OK. So is my house, but there's no electricity in major areas here including where I live. But there's a pet-friendly hotel we know, and it does have electricity , so now we're holed up there. The motel's WiFi is down but my Verizon 4G aircard is working fine, so life is good (relatively speaking). I highly recommend Verizon 4G aircards, by the way.

The line of thunderstorms left a swath of devastation from Indiana all the way here, where some areas of the DC suburbs clocked sustained winds of 75mph. There are some 1 million people without power.

But amidst all of this we saw something sorta funny this morning. A nearby gas station did have power so we went over to get some coffee. People were stopping by to fuel up but no one could get any gas. You'll never guess why. Well, the fuel pumps we all use, that allow you to swipe a credit card at the pump, are not connected to the gas station. They're connected to the internet, the attendant has no control over them whatsoever, and the net was down. No internet, no fuel pumps. Bet you didn't think our infrastructure was that vulnerable. Food for thought...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:01 PM   #3

Glad your OK Ted, relitively speaking. Yes, really scary thinking of how our world could change without internet access. Hope things get back to nornal for you and yours soon Ted.

We use the Verizon 4G module (card) it's the only internet connection we have. Runing a business if fun. We're right on the edge of their reception area as well. When that satalite wobbles!!! we lose the signal.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:13 PM   #4

Hey Ted: glad you and the family are okay. Hope the power is back on soon.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Thanks for asking - I'm OK. So is my house, but there's no electricity in major areas here including where I live. But there's a pet-friendly hotel we know, and it does have electricity , so now we're holed up there. The motel's WiFi is down but my Verizon 4G aircard is working fine, so life is good (relatively speaking). I highly recommend Verizon 4G aircards, by the way.

Ted
Glad to hear your alright...I can also recommend the Verizon air card. I had the mobile hotspot all winter in the 5th wheel and was able to connect every time from some very remote areas. I was amazed..."Can You Hear Me Now" works!!

Hope your electric is back on soon!

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

SmugMug Pics - Click Here
Personal Website - Click Here
Wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:46 AM   #6

Default Derecho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

That's what hit us. I hadn't heard of one before, and I'd just as soon never hear of one again.

We may have power back today.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:24 PM   #7

Hey Ted

Glad to hear that your all aok .. looks like parts of the East coast took a real battering
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote