Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Is that you, Ken? You don't look like a water lily...
Had a feeling you'd be around asking....

It was a photo I'd found on line, on ancestry.com. that I'd never seen before "Of my Dad"! circa 1940 in front of the old family home. I didn't know how to copy it to my files, so I took the url and posted it here so I could find it again. He'd be about 24 then, I'd be 2.

I was looking for info on his dad, my granddad, there was a family rift before I was born and the family was never spoken of and I was curious.

This interweb thingy is great for finding things. Found he was from Bangor Wales born 1883 and worked the slate mines in the Welsh mountains. Moved to Liverpool before WWI and then signed up for the war. Got himself gassed at the battle of Arras and came home for a while, then got sent out to the Dardinelles and took part in Churchillls folly there. The family were notified of his death from war wounds there.

Six moths later, they received a letter from him from a hospital in Cairo, that he was doing well and coming home. He was British army boxing champ before the war and coming back he opened a gym for boxers in Liverpool. I didn't know any of this other than the boxing...!!!!

So, are you sorry you asked?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
So, are you sorry you asked?
Not at all, that's really interesting - my father was apparently an excellent boxer in the US Army when he was in. In that photo your father looks too slender to be someone I'd have said was a boxer. So you're saying all those Liverpool Scouse were tough, huh.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Not at all, that's really interesting - my father was apparently an excellent boxer in the US Army when he was in. In that photo your father looks too slender to be someone I'd have said was a boxer. So you're saying all those Liverpool Scouse were tough, huh.

Ted
Nah, you missed the change there. It was his dad, my granddad who was the boxer. My dad's brother was a contenter for the lightweight championship of Britain but got married a few months before and lost his next 3 fights. I guess marriage and boxing didn't mix.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
I guess marriage and boxing didn't mix.
Took a lot of the agression out of him, eh?

There's an interesting coincidence going on here. PBS is running a number of programs about Queen Elizabeth because of the Diamond Jubilee. (Knowing what a fan of the Monarchy you are, I'm guessing you've missed a lot of this...) This past Sunday they had a show about her traveling around the British Isles seeing her subjects, and the major part of that show was her dedicating a new museum in Liverpool, intended to spark an economic revival of that city by stimulating tourism. The show mentioned the Scouse who populated the seafaring industry there, noting that the Liverpool citizenry was the least English of cities in England.

I guess a lot of us Yanks are intrigued by the concept of a constitutional monarchy, which would seem to fit together like Ozzy Osbourne in a tuxedo.

Ted
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:13 PM   #15

Constitutional Monarchy was a big step along the road to our freedoms now. Me/I am a republican!!! No. not in the American sense, heaven forbid. In my mind the monarchy has been an embarrassment since the days the king actually led his army into battle. Not these Germanic, Greek, simpering, chinless wonders now. I guess the argument for is tourism.

Liverpool around the time of WWI almost started the revolution to get rid of the so called upper class, it took intervention from the army and police from around the country, to put it down. Interesting that in the mid 1800's it was the richest city in Europe.

I still think that Liverpool needs to declare a unilateral declaration of independence.
Scouse Rule!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:31 PM   #16

Are you familiar with the historian Michael Wood? PBS is re-running his 6-part Story of England which I am thoroughly enjoying (I missed it when it first aired). Wood doesn't torture us with what we suffered through in school - kings and wars - but tells history by describing the lives of the common people who lived in Kibworth. I wish all teachers would be as interesting and entertaining as he is.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Are you familiar with the historian Michael Wood? PBS is re-running his 6-part Story of England which I am thoroughly enjoying (I missed it when it first aired). Wood doesn't torture us with what we suffered through in school - kings and wars - but tells history by describing the lives of the common people who lived in Kibworth. I wish all teachers would be as interesting and entertaining as he is.
Yeh, great show and fascinating for me. I've done the history of kings, good time line. I particulary liked the language part of the first show where the words: One small step for man etc. could be traced right back to old english from pre roman times.
My family from both sides were celtic brits though wales and scotland. Not much of the invader with me.
I've seen the first 3 parts.