Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:44 PM   #1

Default E-500 and Olympus 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 ED Zuiko telephoto zoom lens compatibility?

I was given an E-500 camera body by a friend who upgraded to an E-620. I bought a 40-150mm lens and have enjoyed using the camera very much, but now I'd like to get a longer lens so I can photograph ospreys that nest in our area. Images taken at 150mm just aren't satisfactory.

Is the 70-300mm ED Zuiko telephoto zoom lens compatible with an E-500 and, if so, do I need to upgrade the firmware to version 1.4? I'm on dial-up and if I don't need to upgrade from 1.3, I'd prefer not to. I've read that the upgrade is for MF only (which I don't use).

Since the E-500 doesn't have image stabilization, I wonder if that would be a major problem. I have a tripod and would use it, if necessary.

Hoping someone can help me with these questions. Thanks.
Gwen
newtodigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodigital View Post
I was given an E-500 camera body by a friend who upgraded to an E-620. I bought a 40-150mm lens and have enjoyed using the camera very much, but now I'd like to get a longer lens so I can photograph ospreys that nest in our area. Images taken at 150mm just aren't satisfactory.

Is the 70-300mm ED Zuiko telephoto zoom lens compatible with an E-500 and, if so, do I need to upgrade the firmware to version 1.4? I'm on dial-up and if I don't need to upgrade from 1.3, I'd prefer not to. I've read that the upgrade is for MF only (which I don't use).

Since the E-500 doesn't have image stabilization, I wonder if that would be a major problem. I have a tripod and would use it, if necessary.

Hoping someone can help me with these questions. Thanks.
Gwen
I still have an E-500 and have used the 70-300 on it many times, it is a light hog, so at least a monopod is usually a requirement. The 70-300 is one of the best "value" lenses in the Oly stable. IS Helps but not a requirement. You can bump the ISO up to 400 or 800 and generally get some decent shots.

Better is the 50-200 and the EC 14, but again IS will help or a monopod and it is a faster lens, better in low light.

My only problem with the 70-300 is some focus hunting, stable objects is no problem but pretty much forget any BIF (Birds in Flight) shots, But the lens is sharp as a tack and the close focusing capabilities substitutes nicely for a macro...

Good luck and I have kept my E-500 as my spare rather than the E-510 I had just because of the wonderful Kodak sensor, best color ever. I like it better than my E-30, but the E-30 comes closer to the E-500 than the 510 series ever did.

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

SmugMug Pics - Click Here
Personal Website - Click Here
Wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:02 PM   #3

The 70-300 on my E500 has become almost a permanent fixture.
For quick examples look down 8 posts or so for "Water lillies" and "Gotcha both of ya"
Shoot mostly hand held, for the deer on the sport setting, anything else I use the A, choosing the aperature by available light or the depth of field I want. Great camera for landscapes, then I use a tripod.

In short, It's a great combo.

I've never touched the firmware, dunno how
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:56 PM   #4

Thanks so much, Jim and Ken for your responses... most appreciated.
Unfortunately, the 50-200mm and the EC 14 combo is way out of my budget. Would the EC 14 work with the 70-300mm?
My 40-150 mm doesn't have much trouble with focus hunting with birds in flight (they're just usually too far away) and I was hoping a 70-300 would improve my chances of getting some good bird photos.
Checked out the water lilies and fawns...great shots...also the Snow Geese.
Thanks again to you both.
Gwen
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:58 PM   #5

The 70-300 is used 80 % on my E-520
Here is one from this afternoon at 300mm
ISO 800 to keep the shutter at 1250 and f 7.1

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...em-cowboy.html
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodigital View Post
Thanks so much, Jim and Ken for your responses... most appreciated.
Unfortunately, the 50-200mm and the EC 14 combo is way out of my budget. Would the EC 14 work with the 70-300mm?
My 40-150 mm doesn't have much trouble with focus hunting with birds in flight (they're just usually too far away) and I was hoping a 70-300 would improve my chances of getting some good bird photos.
Checked out the water lilies and fawns...great shots...also the Snow Geese.
Thanks again to you both.
Gwen
I have used my EC 14 on my 70-300 and even tried the EC 20 - but the stop loss with the teleconverters just slows the lens down even more. On a bright day you can get away with the EC 14...but the 2 stop loss on the EC 20 makes it nearly impossible.

BTW - I think the Ec 14 and the EC 20 ought to be in everyone's stable, they work with virtually all the OLY Lenses and make a huge difference. I use the Ec 14 on my 50-200 almost all the time and the Ec 20 really shines on the 50 macro!!! And the 14-54!

Good luck...

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

SmugMug Pics - Click Here
Personal Website - Click Here
Wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:53 AM   #7

Nice to know Jim. I'm going to have to look at one, would extend (no pun intended?) my range without buying another lens.

Wow Gwen, That was back in March. I took a look and even I like that one. Back further there's the Snowy Owl, That was at the limit for hand held and low light. Here:

So without further ado, time for you to go out and show us yours.. Don't be shy, We all started somewhere.

Last edited by Scouse; Jul 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:36 PM   #8

Your Snowy Owl photos are fantastic, Ken! Beautiful bird and the perfect backdrop.

I ordered the 70-300mm lens today, so hopefully I'll have some shots to post in the not-too-distant future. Olympus has an instant rebate offer right now, so I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the info on the EC14 and EC20 teleconverters, Jim... good to know. Next on my list will be an EC 14 and then a 50-200mm lens sometime in the future.
Gwen