Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:26 PM   #1

Default A few pics from the start of London Olympics.. well sort off...

Its week 2 of the Olympics and I've only seen part of one event in the flesh .. the ticketing situation before and during the games has been terrible. So far not been able to get any tickets for any events in town.. or even to pop in and just wonder around the Olympic park before it gets knocked down and sold off to developers. 50% of all tickets were apparently reserved for corporate sponsors for the entire event which has left to date 20% of seats empty across all venues

The plus point of the games ... after 40 years of total neglect by all governments this part of East London finally had a little money spent on it and has transformed a run down area into something nice..

Enough of the rant.... and some pics of what Ive been able to do .. (more pic taking the last 3 weeks than in the last 2 years!)

1. A Lion Dance Olympic Torch arrives in Leyton (less than a mile from the Olympic stadiums). The atmosphere was electric in Leyton.. and my first time ever with the E3+ beastie out in the open in East london,

Sifu Jim Uglow breaking the Olympic Organisers ban on only allowing Coke! (All true .. they banned all fizzy drink apart from Coke ..)

The pipers... nothing like the bag pipes to get you going .. flippin great!

The torch... got caught up with seeing Sifu and the guys from the school after 3 years and the next thing the crowds were 5 deep...

More pics to follow .. including some cycling !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:42 PM   #2

The pictures give a real good feeling of what was happening up there.
Some very nice pictures also, excellent pictures to be more exact.
And sponsored by Pepsi ?

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:48 PM   #3

Thanks for these, Harj. As Lordje says, they give us a feel for what life is like in London right now. We're also hearing that the Olympics are not friendly to British residents.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:53 PM   #4

Guys,

The games to date have been seriously great .. and I'm glad I've been here to feel the vibe and the buzz around the east end of London, unti the games started its never had that feel or atmosphere. Your normally "on your toes" when around this part of town and I know that most of us that live close to the Olympic park have really enjoyed it. Its the way that the ticket allocations have gone .. 50% for corporates and then having 20% of empty seats and to date I dont know any one local that's managed to get a ticket to see an event. Its the empty seats and the inability to be able to get tickets that's really got most ppl annoyed .. I'm planning to see the mens Marathon on Sunday .. so hopefully I'll get to see a full event.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Guys,

The games to date have been seriously great .. and I'm glad I've been here to feel the vibe and the buzz around the east end of London, unti the games started its never had that feel or atmosphere. Your normally "on your toes" when around this part of town and I know that most of us that live close to the Olympic park have really enjoyed it. Its the way that the ticket allocations have gone .. 50% for corporates and then having 20% of empty seats and to date I dont know any one local that's managed to get a ticket to see an event. Its the empty seats and the inability to be able to get tickets that's really got most ppl annoyed .. I'm planning to see the mens Marathon on Sunday .. so hopefully I'll get to see a full event.

Harj
At a time of global recession, it's understandable that the folks and government who have invested in the British Olympics need to get some of their investment back. But it seems that they've gone too far.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:42 AM   #6

Warning: somewhat Off-Topic

Harj, folks outside the US (and many inside the US) may not realize that for the US this 2012 Olympics is really historic. It is the culmination of a federal law passed exactly 40 years ago. Called Title IX, the law prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender at educational institutions that are recipients of federal funds. "Discrimination" specifically included athletic programs, which at the time were almost exclusively for boys not girls, especially the sports that involved team competitions leading to state or national recognition. Over the succeeding years, enforcement of Title IX really brought a lot of equality for female athletes.

How well has it turned out? Well as of yesterday US women have captured 47 medals and men have 34.

Update: As of today (August 10) it's 100 for the women, 59 for the men.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM.