Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:03 PM   #1

Default London 2012 Ladies Road Race Cycling

Week 1 of the games and the second free outdoor event .. I got their late .. 12pm and found literally 1000s of people already there and loads of togs too!

The weather was terrible.. and I learnt one thing.. don't be nice and polite when its a public event... people take the p*** and mess up your vantage point and block the shot.

The Pro Togs .. were all basically shooting with the 1DX or the D4's ...

All pics with the E3 + 35-100F2 - PP in LR4.1

Buckingham Palace - Green Park entrance

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:07 PM   #2

Really great HarjTT !!!
Thank you very much for posting these !

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:34 AM   #3

Really nice series - good feeling for the "wait" and really like the B&W shot at the end - great mood to it. Well done!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Really nice series - good feeling for the "wait" and really like the B&W shot at the end - great mood to it. Well done!
+1. Besides the mood of that last one, it's also timeless - there is nothing in the photo that really dates it as 2012 except for the date on the barricade. If you photoshopped that out and didn't pay attention to the details of the bicycle it could be 100 years ago. I'm not recommending that, just saying that at first glance it's timeless.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:12 AM   #5

I agree with Ted, that last shot almost looks like it was taken in the early 1900s : )
I just want half the money spent on those lenses in the first few shots.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:36 PM   #6

HI Guys

Thanks for the CC on the pics....I did forget to add the start of the race .. so here it is .. My first thought was seeing the riders was .. woops I'm at the mens road race... ! E3+35-100F2, held above quiet a few people.. that articulated LCD comes in handy although I don't think I could have done more than one with shot with that combo.

The weathersealing on the E3 and all of the HG/SHG glass is superb. I got drenched by the second downpour but the Oly + SHG were just .. more weatherproofed than me! If I ever switch the next system has to be weathersealed like the Olys.

Now regards the race shots.. I was only able to fire off 3 shots one for each of the tail enders in the race. The speed of the lead riders and the chasing pack was breathtaking, If I didn't have this idiot barge his way infront of me just 20mins b4 the racers showed up I just may have been able to get a snap, although they were so fast I doubt whether the E3's AF would have been able to cope. Not sure of the burst mode on the E3.. mine always feels as if the shutters going to break if its more than 1-2 quick shots so I don't use it.

John, as your a sports shooter, can you give me any tips for the Mens Marathon on the final Sunday ? I'm taking the same setup - just the E3 + 35-100F2 and I'm hoping the sun shines on the day but I'd like your thoughts on what to aim for on the day...

Cheers

HArj

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:06 AM   #7

Haven't been posting for a while but I do like to lurk and see what's happening. Been enjoying your Olympic shots a lot and I can actually see your frustration there.
Still you've posted some really good stuff. The B&W bicycle shot is a winner.

Takes me back a year or two, riding time trials in the rain in the Welsh Mountains....I still have this scar on my shin!

Last edited by Scouse; Aug 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:06 PM   #8

Harj - in my opinion for marathons you have the finish line shots (but that will be mobbed). Otherwise you want a shot with an interesting backdrop if you can find one. The big thing is you don't want to be behind people - you don't want to have to take photos like the race start shot above. So, if you want to shoot, find a spot where you can get up front and one with an interesting background - you're unlikely to have enough of an unobstructed view that you can use a long focal length so the background will be busy - that can be OK if the background adds to the photo. For example the last two bike photos the background with the umbrellas and such is cool. But you won't be panning for marathoners so you won't get the same blur. Have fun - look forward to seeing the photos!

Shoot portrait style for single runners and landscape for multiples.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:50 PM   #9

Hi John

Thanks for the tips.. I'm going to avoid the start/finish section as that will be totally rammed esp as tomorrows the last day and final free event, although if get there early enough I may recce for a spot.

I've got a couple of ideas of where to pitch up esp after watching last weeks ladies marathon which looked good for catching the runners as they go by. Just hoping other people don't have the same idea. The runners are going to do 3.5 laps so hopefully, that'll give me a chance to get some decent pics.

Fingers crossed the sun shines tomorrow morning !
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:31 AM   #10

ALL very nice shots HarjTT
I looked at the last 2 for a while
Yup, the B&W Stands out very well
Nice Job.
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote