Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:40 AM   #11

Quote:
..... somethings not quite right esp for a macro shot
I'm with you Harj, that image won't entice me to buy the lens.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:33 PM   #12

Olympus UK has now officially posted the Watanabe comments of the new pro-level body coming. Per Olympus UK : "BREAKING NEWS!! "Olympus working on new body for top-pro lenses
Akira Watanabe, manager of Olympus Imaging's SLR planning department, confirmed today that the company is definitely working on a body to deliver the focusing performance expected by users of the Top Pro lens series like the ground breaking 90-250 f2.8 fixed aperture zoom.

Watanabe has been delighted with the success of the OM-D which has pushed the boundaries of performance for system cameras but acknowledged that it did not deliver with the legacy high end lenses from the E-System. Whilst further information wasn't forthcoming, he was keen to emphasise that Olympus is actively developing a solution and will announce more details in due course.
" https://www.facebook.com/OlympusUK

Also, Amazon has the four thirds 90-250mm f2 for sale at only $6 thousand. Amazon.com: Olympus 90-250mm f/2.8 Zuiko Lens for E Series DSLR Camera: Camera & Photo

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:06 PM   #13

Yep, just got the email from fourthirds-user:

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/sho...5602#post85602

I love it! All those bozos at DPR, claiming Oly is lying, will probably still dismiss this announcement. If I wanted some used SHG glass I wouldn't wait much longer - the price will very likely start going back up.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:46 PM   #14

Hi Guys

About time .... To me its pretty clear that there now will be an E7 and hopefully more than just the EM5 in an E5 body (not that you would sniff at that) how many. I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring to the table with the E7 and I'm glad they have finally owned up to the AF not being up to par. What he should have stated is that its not been up to par for the HG/SG's as well and apologised!

Now if they had made this statement a year or two ago, how many Oly shooters would they have not lost ? I can now also stop thinking about why system to switch too is Oly had decided that the E5 was the last FT cam.

Cheers

Harj

PS... THat wee bit of news made my weekend!

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:02 PM   #15

Harj, if you go to my fourthirds-user link, you'll see that it's not clear whether it's the E7 or he's talking about a mirrorless camera with an E7 out first. Either way, it does look like there's a future for 4/3, which is what Oly has said all along.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Harj, if you go to my fourthirds-user link, you'll see that it's not clear whether it's the E7 or he's talking about a mirrorless camera with an E7 out first. Either way, it does look like there's a future for 4/3, which is what Oly has said all along.
Yes, I agree; it may be another camera besides the E7.

But it definitely looks like we will be getting an E-7 at some point. Wouldn't it be kind of exciting to get both an E-7 with an OVF, and a mirrorless m4/3 and that both could handle all the high grade glass that earned such a good reputation for Olumpus?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
As you can tell i had a wee bit of time on my hands..and put together a fictional E7

Canon 5D MK 111, E5/E3, Fictional E7 and Pentax K5

I was kind of shocked to find that the E5 and the 5D are identical in size, with the 5D just 52g lighter as well. The EX definitely needs downsizing in my opinion.
hey Harj
you know if you had a D300 in that list, it would be bigger than 5D, and so is 7D bigger than 5D
And really I find GH2 really good to carry around, freakin awful when you need to use it
There must be a tipping point where a body size just works
I guess

actually I agree with you that a size reduction is in order,
but I would like to point out that the generic speak about all things Olympus tends to be so biased as not to consider what else is really going on
and a lot of our collective thoughts can be pushed by that.

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM. Reason: addition
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:04 PM   #18

Hi Riley

Checked the specs on the 7D and the D300s.. the 7Ds actually a smidge smaller than the E5 and weighs 32g less !

From camerasize.com:

Canon EOS 7D is 4% (5.7 mm) wider and 5% (5.8 mm) shorter than Olympus E-5.
Canon EOS 7D is 1% (1 mm) thinner than Olympus E-5.
Canon EOS 7D [860 g] weights 4% (32 grams) less than Olympus E-5 [892 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Just as shocking is that the E3 and D300 are the same size but the E3 is a wee bit lighter by 46g.

Nikon D300s is 3% (4.5 mm) wider and 2% (2.5 mm) shorter than Olympus E-5.
Nikon D300s is 1% (0.5 mm) thinner than Olympus E-5.
Nikon D300s [938 g] weights 5% (46 grams) more than Olympus E-5 [892 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Have studied a wee bit of ergonomics as a designer engineer student many years ago, there's only so much you can change or reduce in size for a camera like the EX/5D's/D300s etc and when you look at the E3/E5 Oly's made some really good choices. The front right hand grip is an improvement over the E1, shifting the lens to the right allows for better handling of bigger lenses, the articulated LCD needs space for the hinge and the buttons need etc all need to be a decent size to be useable. So the only real option to having a smaller EX is to lower its height, make the grip on the left slightly smaller, reduce the number of buttons on the back of the body (Oly already did that for the E5) and change modify the LCD or make it non articulated LCD.

Now what I don't understand is all of these people that some are jumping to the conclusion that Oly's statement doesnt refer to a FT based cam ? It seemed pretty clear to me that OLy right now believe that the AF (with FT lenses) and EVF isn;t there yet for an M43 cam and that their working on a body that will allow the "legacy" lenses to finally shine and having an effective AF that matches those lenses. I won;t bite till I see that they have actually worked on fixing the AF and real world pics from birders etc ...

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:47 PM   #19

More from Imaging Resource.com:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...-camera-coming

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...-system-lenses

" Watanabe also confirmed that Olympus continues to make E-system DSLRs, though production has been intermittent. Speaking to a small group of journalists at a business centre near Frankfurt Airport, yesterday, Watanabe added: 'We haven't discontinued the E-5, E-30 or E-620.'"

Strange I kind of remember him or someone else high up 2-3 years stating that E30/E620 users should switch to M43 or move to the E5. I havent seen an E30-E620 in store since the switch to M43

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:17 AM   #20

add https://www.facebook.com/OlympusUK to that
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote