Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Now what I don't understand is all of these people that some are jumping to the conclusion that Oly's statement doesnt refer to a FT based cam ? It seemed pretty clear to me that OLy right now believe that the AF (with FT lenses) and EVF isn;t there yet for an M43 cam and that their working on a body that will allow the "legacy" lenses to finally shine and having an effective AF that matches those lenses. I won;t bite till I see that they have actually worked on fixing the AF and real world pics from birders etc ...
Well, Harj, it depends on whether or not you can believe a couple of Brits. As I mentioned above, you really, really need to track the conversation going on at fourthirds-user. Ian and John, the founders of that forum, have some inside connections.

Ian:
"I was able to talk to Akira san yesterday and his main concern was the ability to focus normally with Four Thirds lenses. In fact he was a lot less forthcoming than today's statement but basically my hunch is that they are going for a mirrorless body designed and optimised for using Four Thirds lenses. I ought to add that he did not confirm or deny any of this."

[Note: "Akira san" is Akira Watanabe, who is one of the key people at Olympus in Tokyo who is responsible for the system camera product roadmap.]

Originally Posted by tkurkowski
Ian, thanks for all your information but now I'm confused. An updated E5 chassis with E-M5 technology is what most of us figured the E7 would be. Do you think he is saying there won't be a "classic" E7, but rather the mirrorless you described? I'm asking because in discussions on other forums (fora?) some folks think what we will get is the "classic" E7 soon, and the mirrorless more advanced body later.

Ted

John:
"I've always thought that Olympus would offer one more traditional DSLR in the E-x range if they were unable to develop a focussing solution for HG/SHG lenses on Micro Four Thirds. I also thought that this wouldn't happen if a solution was developed within the normal life cycle of the E-5.

This sudden shift of emphasis tells me that Olympus are now confident they can deliver the necessary technology within the required timescale and there will not now be another DSLR.

This doesn't mean that a new "pro" OM-D body has to be as small as existing Micro Four Thirds cameras, they can make them as big as they want! My guess is that it will be a similar shape, size and weight to the E-5, but thinner due to the lesser lens-to-sensor distance required by Micro Four Thirds. A adapter would obviously still be required for Four Thirds lenses."

Ian and John have non-disclosure agreements with Oly, can't share some of what they know, and the above is what they predict.

Once again, if you're interested in where Oly is going with this, it's really a good idea to read this thread.

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/sho...5624#post85624

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 18, 2012 at 8:51 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:23 PM   #22

Hi Ted

After reading those posts I still kind of think that we're looking at a FT cam simply because of the EVF and AF issues that Akira San's mentioned - can they fix them or have they made a hybrid solution. Also when you look at Oly's UK's facebook page they're using the E5 body for the announcement, and from their previous statements regards an E5 successor and that there is still a place for an SLR... so I still think its a FT cam.

What has struck me over the last few days has been the intense negativity esp from the m43 brigade be they at Dpr or 43rumours regards this announcement. The same old arguments against FT seem to be spewing out from all directions but a lot of these M43 shooters seem to have a real chip on their shoulders. The pleasant surprise is the number of E1 shooters that didnt update to the E3/5 that have reared their heads

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM.
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 1:23 PM   #23

Default Some backtracking

Looks like that the initial reports were a little stretched. The new info is that that are working on a camera for 4/3 lens, not necessarily the E-7. But what to believe, Oly has always been a company that seldom reveals it's true plans in advance. (the exception being the E-M5)

https://www.facebook.com/OlympusUK?i...&CreativeASIN=
We would like to clarify some of the recent news. Olympus has not issued a press release but have made a statement at a recent meeting saying:

"A new camera is under study in order to optimize the Four Thirds lenses"

DSLR magazine as translated by Google:
http://www.dslrmagazine.com/breves/n...ios-redux.html
Olympus and Four Thirds, redux
Various media echo about a "press release" of Olympus in the sense that the company is working on a camera body that give continuity and System Support Four Thirds from Olympus . Others speak of an "interview" with Mr. Akira Watanabe ...
Well, in our opinion, based on eyewitness accounts, without therefore being entirely false ... not entirely true in the strict sense. Be precise.

The statements of Mr. Akira Watanabe not a press release if, they are informal statements occurred in the context of two meetings with members of the European press last from 16 to 17 August in Frankfurt and Munich respectively and more symposium specifically in situation and responses to any questions / s of participants. The agenda of these meetings did not include at all the above mentioned issue.
Nothing to do with a press release or an interview. Besides Mr. Akira Watanabe and others responsible for Olympus Europe, at meetings attended Mr. Michael Guthmann OM-D Product Manager, PEN, D-SLR & XZ Series, and what this said, specific questions of the participants, and so sharp elllo and cryptic time, was, without specifying when, "which would providing "support" to the Four Thirds system through a camera body , and now emphatically However the camera looks like " . This can only mean what it seems ... or much, but much more than it seems, but that's all there was. No more. Another thing is the media hype about opportunistic.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:24 PM   #24

Well what can we say .. typical Oly sending out several different messages. Right now they should have just either said nothing and carried on as normal, tell the FT users the systems kicked the bucket and move on, or just say .. yeah where making an E-7... instead we get that bucket of... ... and to top it off they have to put it on their facebook page !! How about getting in touch with all the cam sites that reported and put out a clarification which would have been the proper thing to do. How hard would an E-7 be to put together and out .. instead they could have us hanging around for another couple of years waiting.. and by then there may be no one around with the HG/SHGs..
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:35 AM   #25

yeah its just completely unsatisfactory non communication.
Seems like every time they make an 'announcement' they have to correct it later,

the overall message makes it seem like they're more confused than the soon to be ex user base.

Total loons
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:54 PM   #26

I've been thinking about it over the weekend .. and they might as well have said formally that FT is over as a mount and as a system. If its an adapter for M43's OMPro to get the lenses to work then the E-system is finished, and if thats the case why not just state it. Its been 4 years since they and Pana made the M43 announcement and over 2 for the E5 so why don't they just make a clear cut statement that the E-System lives or it doesn't. That would be the decent thing to do... instead we get the latest installment of a "pigs ear" ...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:37 PM   #27

Its disappointing isnt it, one would think they are in the business of selling cameras, so heres an idea, theres a whole lot of people out there with this 4/3rds mount, lets make a camera for it. Whats wrong with this picture.

But I guess they dont see it that way.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote